CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic, but travel related. If you have any Southwest flights booked for this year, I'd check them. Everything is changing, reducing, being disrupted, etc. We have a round trip flight in June to St. Louis for a wedding and I was able to change it due to "extenuating circumstances that might cause a disruption" to our flights. And the flight choices offered now are drastically reduced. I'm not sure what's going to happen in June, but will just have to wait and see.

I also have flights booked in September/October for our planned WDW trip and again, options are majorly reduced now. I had planned 3 one-way trips due to a stop in Atlanta before flying to Orlando. Now, there are zero options to fly from home into Atlanta on the date I need. And Atlanta is a huge airport. So as of right now we're going to have to fly a different airline to get down. We're still able to fly ATL-MCO with no issue, but on our flight from from MCO, there is now ONE option listed (which is what we originally booked on) instead of the 7-8 there were before.

I'm just at a point now where I'm praying to everything that is holy we will get to go to WDW this September!
The airlines will most likely get a bailout to get them through the next couple of months. After that, there will be mass layoffs, reduced flights, and capacity. I don't know how long it will take the airlines to recover from this it's worse the 9/11. In the meantime, I would expect flight selection to be slim pickings over the next year or two. Take what you can get.

My friends and I decided to report our decision (regarding our December trip) to September. We’re praying and hoping we’ll be back to « normal life » by that time. So far, we are more on the optimistic side: we think this crisis will make cruising even safer than it used to be.

Other than that, DH and I are just trying to take care of ourselves, of our finances (!) and dreaming of seeing the ocean again. :)

Looks like RCL is cancelling another month of cruises, Carnival has said they'll announce their plans by the end of this week.

Looks like RCL is cancelling another month of cruises, Carnival has said they'll announce their plans by the end of this week.
On CC it was noted that they are not making their announcement until March 30. Logistics must be a nightmare.

We decided to fully cancel our summer Hawaii trip >:( With my mom's asthma and recent bout of pneumonia it is not safe for her. The 14 day quarantine for all arrivals does not help either. I am hoping to be able to get a refund on airfare and we know we should get most of the condo money back. Our October cruise is up in the air. We will make a decision before final payment in July. If we can't go anywhere this year and have to wait until summer 2021 it will be almost 2 years between vacations! I might hurt someone if I don't get away from my job, house, life!

we sail on Carnival's Radiance July 20. It was supposed to take 4 weeks to build in Spain (from and old ship) which they stopped. I'm hoping if the ship isn't ready but cruise lines are able to sail that they will let us cruise on one of their docked ships. Our cruise is 113 days away. I have faith things will be up and running by then.

I know everything is so subjective, but is anyone booking cruises for later this year? And when they start back up do you think they'll be any different? I've heard speculation from Carnival about "cruises to nowhere" and the like. Super interesting.

I am crossing fingers we get to WDW in September, but now I'm just wondering if they'll even offer any discounts or it will be more crowded than normal. I've booked flights but haven't booked an actual package yet. I Our next booked cruise is not til September 2021 so I'm not too worried there.

I know everything is so subjective, but is anyone booking cruises for later this year? And when they start back up do you think they'll be any different? I've heard speculation from Carnival about "cruises to nowhere" and the like. Super interesting.

I am crossing fingers we get to WDW in September, but now I'm just wondering if they'll even offer any discounts or it will be more crowded than normal. I've booked flights but haven't booked an actual package yet. I Our next booked cruise is not til September 2021 so I'm not too worried there.
I’m not sure I want to cruise anytime soon. Without a full lockdown so many city or states still have too many people out an about. My mom and niece have weakened lungs and I can’t risk being infected and passing it on to them.

Our next cruise isn't until March 2021. I'm slightly concerned that there may not be a vaccine by then. My dh has is still going into work since his work is considered essential work. My dd and I are going on our 3rd week of staying home and going slightly crazy. Tomorrow starts Spring break, so no common core math for the week, Yippppee! I figure we'll all probably still get the virus since dh has to go into work and comes into contact with people from all over the country. He's taking precautions, just not sure how well they will work. My dd has asthma so I'm worried for her, but not for myself. I'd love to go somewhere, but we also don't know what the schools will be doing. I'm pretty sure the rest of this year is a bust. I wonder if they will just start next year at the usual time, or try to have kids come back some in June or July to finish this year(if it's safe by then). Next year is the first time we're booked to do our cruise during Spring break. I had a horrible thought that the school system cancels or changes next year's Spring break time and we won't be able to go on the cruise. I wish TripAdvisor would stop sending me emails. Round trip flights to Grand Caymans for $130!! If we didn't have to deal with dd missing school, then I'd definitely go on a trip once I felt safe to do so. We have an OV cabin booked for our cruise, I'm thinking about switching it to a verandah, not sure though.

I have one booked for December and am hoping we will be able to go. Other than perhaps more awareness of hand washing, I doubt they will be much different. I imagine cruises to nowhere will replace some of the summer offerings that can't go on due to Canada's closed ports? I'm not sure I would be interested, we like a sea day or two but we cruise to see new places so ports and excursions are what makes the cruise for us.

I will say, after being stuck at home and having to cook all the meals for two weeks already, with no real end in sight... I look forward to a vacation where I don't have to do any of that! If it was just me I'd probably be having cereal and popcorn for meals but I have a very fussy 10-year-old.

We are ready to get on a ship as soon as they open for business! Again, we do not have health issues, and the numbers do not scare us. I get that others feel differently. For us, the panic is worse than the disease. We have panorama booked for end of June but I am not hopeful. We are thinking about shifting it to a cruise in August because that looks more likely.

Italy has had about 11000 deaths from covid. They average 23000 deaths yearly from the flu.

We are ready to get on a ship as soon as they open for business! Again, we do not have health issues, and the numbers do not scare us. I get that others feel differently. For us, the panic is worse than the disease. We have panorama booked for end of June but I am not hopeful. We are thinking about shifting it to a cruise in August because that looks more likely.

Italy has had about 11000 deaths from covid. They average 23000 deaths yearly from the flu.
I’m anxious to get on a ship too. We’re not sailing until August out of Copenhagen. I moved our WDW trip from April to end of June. We don’t have health issues. I’d get on a ship tomorrow if I could. My only concern at the moment is the price. I’m wondering if I should hold out for a better price. I also wish the cruise lines were a little more forthcoming with their plans. Maybe we’ll get more answers tomorrow.

We’re booked for the 9 night Southern Caribbean on the Disney Fantasy for 6/27/20, we will absolutely be on that ship unless DCL cancels it.

Somebody in our cruise group posted that tomorrow, 3/30/20, WDW will be announcing summer deals for vacations starting on 6/1/20. Deals will follow for DL Resort.

Carnival extended their closure to match RCL's, no cruises through May 11, 2020. Hopefully the last extension to that? Though I am wondering if June is more likely to restart things.

My concern is the travel ban to Europe. How far into the Summer are they going to extend that? I expect another 30 days to Mid May. If the extend it past that it's really going to make it tough for cruise lines to make a decision on European sailings.

Carnival extended their closure to match RCL's, no cruises through May 11, 2020. Hopefully the last extension to that? Though I am wondering if June is more likely to restart things.
I literally can't see any of the Caribbean islands wanting ships full of Americans who may or may not have self-quarantined going into their shops and restaurants and spreading germs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter