Cases rising or dropping by you?

I think we will have a vaccine before the end of the year.

The information I've seen on vaccine availability is that it will not be available to every single person in the US until summer 2021. But that's because vaccine distribution will be prioritized for those who need it most -- as it should be. It will be widely available to frontline healthcare workers, first responders, and our most vulnerable populations much sooner than summer.

Until enough people take the vaccine, the virus will continue to spread. Having it for a small part of the population won’t contain it.

Until enough people take the vaccine, the virus will continue to spread. Having it for a small part of the population won’t contain it.
Agree, but that doesn't mean that limited quantities shouldn't be prioritized. Nor does it mean that early limited distribution is not worthwhile. Getting the vaccine to that first cohort of most vulnerable people will be a huge plus.

Also, we should not expect a vaccine to be a cure for the pandemic. It won't be 100% effective, and probably will be nowhere near 100% effective. So even if you get the vaccine, that's no guarantee that you won't get covid.

In addition, vaccine development is not the only piece to the puzzle.

Florida's death rate from Covid is not 1/3 of New York's because we have better doctors. It's because the medical profession has learned a tremendous amount about covid since the horrible NY outbreak. We have treatments we didn't have then. We have learned that some treatments actually do more harm than good. There has been a tremendous amount of research, and we're learning more every day.

There are also a lot medications and techniques in development that will improve treatment even further.

Vaccines are only one part of the response.

Agree, but that doesn't mean that limited quantities shouldn't be prioritized. Nor does it mean that early limited distribution is not worthwhile. Getting the vaccine to that first cohort of most vulnerable people will be a huge plus.

Also, we should not expect a vaccine to be a cure for the pandemic. It won't be 100% effective, and probably will be nowhere near 100% effective. So even if you get the vaccine, that's no guarantee that you won't get covid.

In addition, vaccine development is not the only piece to the puzzle.

Florida's death rate from Covid is not 1/3 of New York's because we have better doctors. It's because the medical profession has learned a tremendous amount about covid since the horrible NY outbreak. We have treatments we didn't have then. We have learned that some treatments actually do more harm than good. There has been a tremendous amount of research, and we're learning more every day.

There are also a lot medications and techniques in development that will improve treatment even further.

Vaccines are only one part of the response.

Good review of the lower mortality rates in the latest MedCram video.

I’m more worried about long COVID than people dying from it. The one guy that got it in my office is only capable of coming in once a week, and he’s seeing a pulmonologist since he’s still not out of the woods. And he had it over the summer.

What the vaccine needs to do is slow the spread, so that it will die out.

I’m more worried about long COVID than people dying from it. The one guy that got it in my office is only capable of coming in once a week, and he’s seeing a pulmonologist since he’s still not out of the woods. And he had it over the summer.
That's an often-forgotten aspect of most diseases, especially potentially deadly ones.

It's great that the actual death rates are very low with covid for middle-aged and younger people, but that's not the full story. Some patients are going to suffer long-term problems, especially respiratory problems, and those will complicate their medical situations for the rest of their lives. It's not just the respiratory problems themselves, it's also the ability of the rest of the body to respond to adversity because of the underlying respiratory weakness.

I got my hair cut for the first time since February and kept my mask on the entire time. The woman who does my hair said she didn't care if I kept my mask on or not and didn't have any concerns about COVID for her league sport this winter but wasn't sure if she would do it this year or not due to not being able to hit up the bar afterwards with her teammates.

And that's the reason we're still dealing with this stuff.

That's an often-forgotten aspect of most diseases, especially potentially deadly ones.

It's great that the actual death rates are very low with covid for middle-aged and younger people, but that's not the full story. Some patients are going to suffer long-term problems, especially respiratory problems, and those will complicate their medical situations for the rest of their lives. It's not just the respiratory problems themselves, it's also the ability of the rest of the body to respond to adversity because of the underlying respiratory weakness.

This is going to be long term cost that we’re going to have to work through. We’re going to have a bunch of employees that don’t function at 100%. Who knows how long this will last.

Right now, I just want us to get through flu season.

It is not the school that is blaming and shaming kids, it is society as a whole. I can't tell you the number of threads I have read about kids doing this and kids doing that and they are the reason why the virus is spreading. There are many reasons why the virus is spreading and we need to find a way to cope with it and live with it until we have better therapeutics or vaccine or it mutates. My point is we need to stop being so unkind to each other and truly try walking in someone else's shoes. I am teaching special education students in a fully remote setting. It is going terribly for 75% of the kids. Yesterday my 9th period class was a disaster, the internet for the kids kept kicking them out and then I need to readmit them only to have them kicked out again. I can not meet their accommodations in a remote setting. It is not for a lack of trying on both the kids and my part but this is a nightmare. These kids are regressing in their social skills and academic skills. I don't have answers but I know that this is not working.
We had a senior at my daughters’ high school commit suicide yesterday. My friend was one of his teachers and she is beating herself up because all she was able to really get to know about him this year was that he was a little black box with a name. He never showed his face and she is now questioning all the things she did or didn’t do or could have done.

This really has nothing to do with what you posted except that I can read the same love and hurt you have for your students as my friend is feeling now.

I do get that. Trust me. But there is such thing as overreach. Like this (which is SF County health director, not the Gov). Remember, Disneyland can open in yellow. Compliance doesn’t work when the rules don’t make any sense.

https://abc7news.com/city-ballet-san-francisco-coronavirus-school-yellow-tier/7260533/

SF has been that kind of outlier right along. As I've said before, what we're hearing from my daughter's university is that SF Co. is likely to require universities to remain wholly or primarily remote, with limited to no on-campus housing, until such time as there is a widely-available vaccine.

But hey, the university baseball team is allowed to live on campus, practice, and travel to and host NCAA competitions.

SF has been that kind of outlier right along. As I've said before, what we're hearing from my daughter's university is that SF Co. is likely to require universities to remain wholly or primarily remote, with limited to no on-campus housing, until such time as there is a widely-available vaccine.

But hey, the university baseball team is allowed to live on campus, practice, and travel to and host NCAA competitions.

Universities and colleges are remote throughout the state for pretty much the entire school year.
Nothing specific to SF in that regard.

Universities and colleges are remote throughout the state for pretty much the entire school year.

My understanding from friends who have kids at universities in the San Diego and Los Angeles areas is that their kids' schools are primarily remote, but that labs and other classes that cannot be effectively taught remotely are being allowed to meet in person with reduced class sizes, masks and other precautions, and housing is open in a limited capacity to support those things. I have one friend whose daughter is a junior chemistry major who is living in on-campus housing (though all dorms are singles and the dining hall is take out only) so that she can attend labs and another whose two kids are sharing an off-campus apartment because their parents weren't happy with the precautions the university was taking to protect the students that did come back. Both of her kids are in medical majors. But at my daughter's school, even lab science and nursing majors are watching their labs on Zoom or YouTube. That's great preparation for careers or grad school, right? But we've already been told officially that spring and summer will be the same and unofficially warned (via professors who are being told to prepare) to expect it to continue for fall '21 unless the county changes course between now and then. I think that's an outlier even for California, and certainly for the rest of the country.

But at my daughter's school, even lab science and nursing majors are watching their labs on Zoom or YouTube. That's great preparation for careers or grad school, right? But we've already been told officially that spring and summer will be the same and unofficially warned (via professors who are being told to prepare) to expect it to continue for fall '21 unless the county changes course between now and then.
Frankly, that sounds more like a political agenda on the professors' part than an honest evaluation.

My DD is a biomedical research major, and if she were told that, we'd be looking for a new university.

All post-secondary institutions in Canada are officially remote-learning only with a few very specific lab-based classes available in person but at numbers so small it was almost impossible to register for them. My DS lives at home about 2 miles from his university and hasn't stepped a toe on the campus since classes abruptly halted in March.

All varsity-level basketball, hockey, volleyball, swimming, track and field, football, curling and wrestling have been cancelled at every university nation-wide here in Canada for the 20/21 academic year. I personally don't know anyone at school on a sports scholarship but I wonder how this will effect them?

Wow! Fully remote university classes through fall 2021?
The junior college by us decided full remote through Spring 2021 back in June.

1.3 million tests reported.

California alone reported 6,000 new cases. From reading this thread, I thought California was being safe.
I’m not defending 6,000 new cases, but also remember we’re a state of 39.5 million people. And compared to most other states, we are being careful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter