Casey and Josh Memories Wedding 09/2016

caseylyn

Earning My Ears
I'm Engaged!! Let the Wedding planning begin!

A brief history
Josh and I met in 2010 when I was working part time in a retail store (he was my boss). We had an immediate connection. After months of flirting back and forth, and hesitation because of our work situation, he asked me on our first date in June 2010. We have been inseparable ever since! Fast forward to 5 years later. We have a 3 YO little boy, and a 5 YO daughter (mine from a previous relationship).

Preliminary planning
We have known for a few years that we wanted to get married, but weren't sure if we would have a wedding since we already have kids and have been living together since about 6 months in. We had thought about just going to the court house, but really wanted something special that the kids could be involved in. I priced out doing a small at home wedding, but the costs just kept mounting. It would be stressful with family (who to invite, who will be in the wedding party, etc) and I would have to DIY most everything, which I really don't have time for. A few months back were joking about a disney wedding and how expensive it would be. Just for kicks we went to the disney wedding site to see just HOW expensive. Thats when we discoverd the Memories package, which is actually quite affordable. This plan would allow us to dress up, have a special memory, and include the kids. DF has always been a HUGE disney fan, so he was onboard with the idea immediately and what bride doesn't dream of being a disney princess!

The engagement
I thought he would never ask! All of the wedding talk had been before the actual engagement, but he was adamant that he did NOT want a long engagement, so I figured it would be a while still since we are not planning to get married until September 2016. During our recent beach vacation to Daytona Beach, we took a day trip to Magic Kingdom, as we always do. It was blistering hot and just about as crowded as can be (it was the week of July, 4th..so crowds were expected). We had an overall great day though. We were able to do most of the attractions we wanted to do and didn't wait more than 20 minutes for anything. I call that successful for one of the most crowded weeks of the year. We were meeting up with a friend of DF's that was down on his honeymoon to watch the parade and fireworks. DF kept telling me that he wanted to get a picture in front of the castle of just the two of us because we don't have many and "none of his work friends believe he has a girlfriend". After the parade and fireworks we were looking for a spot to take a picture, but the crowds were everywhere, so we went over to the path that leads behind the castle from Liberty Square for the picture and waited for the crowds to dissipate. His friend took a few pictures of us, then he did it! he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! We were hot and sweaty and I looked awful after a long day in the park, but it was Perfect! I had no idea he had been carrying that ring around all day! If I can ever figure out how to upload pictures, I will add them.

The wedding is still SO far away! I can't do any real planning until MARCH, but I am a planner, like down to the very last detail. I just need to write my ideas down so I wont forget them! so, here is what I have so far...

guest list:
me , future hubby, the kids, his mom, my mom
I really want our mom's to be there, but that still depends on our financial situation and whether we will be able to pay for them to come.

Time:
a Monday in September
I haven't narrowed it down to the exact week just yet. We will probably book the stay in October. I want to see which week touring plans predicts for the lowest crowd levels before booking.

Attire:
We know we want it to be very casual. I'm thinking I just want the boys to wear white button downs with khakis..but that could change. I know I want my daughter to wear a simple white sundress, and I haven't decided if I want to go with a short or full length gown yet. I doubt if I will decide that until I go try dresses on. I do know that I want my dress to be light and simple.. I'm thinking chiffon.

that is all for now. My lunch break is over..i'll post more of what I have figured out a little later.

This is all so overwhelming. I keep getting stressed out just thinking about planning a whole week at Walt Disney World. ADR's , scheduling FP+, which park on which day, etc... We have been before, but it was before the whole integration of FP+. I still haven't decided if I like that or not. It makes me feel like I have to plan things out even more than I already do!

anyway, On the wedding day, If we get to bring our parents..fingers crossed! I want to have lunch at a table service restaurant (not a buffet or signature). Any suggestions would be helpful! We are probably doing the wedding on Luau beach at the Poly. Afterward, I want to leave the kids with our parents and do something just the hubby and myself. We would like to have a nicer dinner and watch fireworks. we were thinking either California grill and watch wishes from there, or a romantic restaurant at Epcot and watch Illuminations after. Again, any suggestions would be helpful.

I know I want to at least add an extra hour of photography. Does anyone know how that works? It isn't listed as an option on the website. Would i just call my planner after the wedding is scheduled and have them add it on? I have also thought about going with outside photography, but if the photographers would be counted in the head count, then thats out if our parents can come. I've read lots of posts saying people have read bad reviews of disney photography, but all the ones I've read of people actually using it have been positive...I'm probably just not looking in the right place. Does anyone know if photographers are counted as guests in a memories wedding? Has anyone had experience with disney photography and adding an extra hour? How many photos did you get on your disk if so.

Have you purchased the Passporters Wedding Guide yet? Totally worth it in my opinion. It helps answer some questions you might have until you can actually talk to a planner.
Also the Wedding Podcast website. Carrie Hayward is on the Disboards here as well. Listen thru her shows for ideas and tips. It helps get you thru!

In the meantime, you can do other things that aren't the disney part related. Like look for your gown, hair styles etc. What I've been doing (and I'm sure others here too) is read over other's planning journals. Do lots of research
too on locations, pictures etc. If you're on Pinterest, start a Pin board. Disney Weddings is on there too. I know the Memories package is not as flexible as the other packages, but try to keep an open mind.

We are slotted for an Escape wedding/ vow renewal in April 2016. I initially looked at the Memories package as well. (And it still might be an option for us)
Is it in your budget to do a fireworks cruise? I've also read that you could do an in room catering if your hotel room will be big enough, which if we end up doing Memories, we are going to do.

We are pretty casual couple as well. And we are paying for everything & not a lot of guests either.

Congrats!!!
I love Disney engagements, they always sound so cute! And I love Disney, so it's always a lovely story to hear.
I can't wait to read more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter