CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

The New York Times (9/2, Kaplan, Wu, Thomas) reports the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “has notified public health officials in all 50 states and five large cities to prepare to distribute a coronavirus vaccine to health care workers and other high-risk groups as soon as late October or early November.” The Times adds that both NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci and FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn have said recently “that a vaccine could be available for certain groups before clinical trials have been completed, if the data is overwhelmingly positive.”

McClatchy (9/2, Wilner) reports that CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield “sent a letter last week to the nation’s governors,” asking “them to do everything in their power to eliminate hurdles for vaccine distribution sites to be fully operational by Nov. 1.”

Bloomberg (9/2, Tozzi, Cortez) reports that the letter said the CDC and HHS are “rapidly making preparations to implement large-scale distribution of COVID-19 vaccines in the fall of 2020.”

The Hill (9/2, Wilson) reports that HHS Secretary Alex Azar on Tuesday “told governors on a call with the coronavirus task force...that the CDC is working with states to develop a distribution model once a vaccine candidate proves itself safe and effective.”

From the 09/03/2020 American Dental Association newsletter "Morning Huddle" which compiles news stories from a wide range of sources to let you know what the general media is saying about dentistry, whether or not it agrees with the ADA’s views. Publication of an article in the Morning Huddle in no way implies ADA’s endorsement, agreement, or promotion of a particular article.

PLEASE - No need for any political comments, subtle or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Do you think it will be optional? I would hope people have a choice, considering it was rushed warp speed style. The only people I personally know who will be lining up for it are my in laws, who will not resume normal life without it!

I think at first it will not be mandated for the general public by any federal or local governments. I do however believe that will change at some point. Question is will it be when enough time has passed to see if there are any negative long term effects of the vaccine. I have faith that there won't be, we have been developing vaccines for a very long time, however there is always the chance so I'd err on the side of caution before I rushed to get it.

For private industries, or for some state funded like hospitals it will probably be required.

Do you think it will be optional? I would hope people have a choice, considering it was rushed warp speed style. The only people I personally know who will be lining up for it are my in laws, who will not resume normal life without it!
Optional for on an individual basis - yes. Will schools, some employers, etc require it - very likely.

I have no desire to get a rushed vaccination that has no track record of being safe or effective. I have no problem continuing following current safety protocol - wearing a mask, keeping distance, staying home for the foreseeable future.

I'd like to hear from the healthcare workers who will probably be mandated to take the vaccine as soon as it rolls out. Do you feel this vaccine is safe and effective enough to make you comfortable taking it?

I'd like to hear from the healthcare workers who will probably be mandated to take the vaccine as soon as it rolls out. Do you feel this vaccine is safe and effective enough to make you comfortable taking it?
Healthcare worker here. Not going to lie. A little scared. It all seems so fast. Most of my coworkers feel the same. Some feel confident and trust the process. It’s the First time I am nervous about getting a vaccine. I guess we will not have a choice either way as we work with very vulnerable population. Ready or not, we are first up to bat😳
Edited to add: I did have the virus back in April already. Mild version. Everyone at home was asymptomatic.

Healthcare worker here. Not going to lie. A little scared. It all seems so fast. Most of my coworkers feel the same. Some feel confident and trust the process. It’s the First time I am nervous about getting a vaccine. I guess we will not have a choice either way as we work with very vulnerable population. Ready or not, we are first up to bat😳
Edited to add: I did have the virus back in April already. Mild version. Everyone at home was asymptomatic.

My sister who is a nurse will quit, she tells me, as a lot of her nurse friends. They say that now but who knows when it rolls out what they will do.

If you can get Covid 19 after having it already, this shot will be once a year I'm guessing. No lasting immunity.

I was looking back at things regarding H1N1 and the vaccine. From what I read looking back, H1N1 was first detected in the US in April of 2009. The vaccine was approved in September and started rolling out in early October. My records show it was November 4, 2009 when I received it (I was pregnant at the time) so this timeline doesn't seem too far off from then.

Healthcare worker and cancer patient undergoing chemo. As long as the early evidence shows overwhelming positive results and the FDA and CDC allow it, I'll be in the line to get it. It's not that unusual for some things (clinical trials, vaccines, etc) get early approval as long as the studies have overwhelming evidence of safety and efficacy. Given the pandemic, I don't find it unusual that they would take these steps.

I was looking back at things regarding H1N1 and the vaccine. From what I read looking back, H1N1 was first detected in the US in April of 2009. The vaccine was approved in September and started rolling out in early October. My records show it was November 4, 2009 when I received it (I was pregnant at the time) so this timeline doesn't seem too far off from then.

I think this vaccine is made differently. This is the first mRNA vaccine to be given to humans. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/mrna-vaccines-covid-19-180975330/

I know I won't be in any hurry to get the vaccine. We still have no effective treatment/cure for covid, but magically those developing a vaccine have someone struck on the exact formula to be successful? Aren't there like 20+ different vaccines being tested? Do ALL of them successfully prevent covid? I have yet to see any reputable medical professionals showing data that proves any of these vaccines actually work. Does it work on ALL age groups, how many doses will you need, what are the side effects, etc.??? All of those things take TIME to investigate. Makes NO sense to me. Let's all race to start vaccinating people before we have any real data to say it works and is safe & effective. Gee, what could possibly go wrong?

I can see our whole response to covid being a case study in future medical classes about how to NOT do things.

I know I won't be in any hurry to get the vaccine. We still have no effective treatment/cure for covid, but magically those developing a vaccine have someone struck on the exact formula to be successful? Aren't there like 20+ different vaccines being tested? Do ALL of them successfully prevent covid? I have yet to see any reputable medical professionals showing data that proves any of these vaccines actually work. Does it work on ALL age groups, how many doses will you need, what are the side effects, etc.??? All of those things take TIME to investigate. Makes NO sense to me. Let's all race to start vaccinating people before we have any real data to say it works and is safe & effective. Gee, what could possibly go wrong?

I can see our whole response to covid being a case study in future medical classes about how to NOT do things.

I'm not sure what you are looking for precisely with data from reputable medical professionals, but a quick google search did yield this site from the WHO that has a download that will show you all the clinical trials for vaccines currently being studied, what phase they are in and how the trial is designed. They do involve things like testing for how many doses and they include placebo arms. So, all appear to be well-designed studies. Results from those studies are exactly what is prompting the potential early release so I'm not sure why you would think there is no data. The best ones to probably look at are those that are in Phase III trials as they would be the ones most likely to have enough data to present to the FDA for release.

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/draft-landscape-of-covid-19-candidate-vaccines

Putting anything about the actual "vital or active" parts of the vaccine itself to the side (not sure what the terminology would be), I'm curious about the availability of things like the vials, the syringes, the "inactive" parts of the vaccine itself -- including whether or not it will cause critical shortages/outages for other important vaccines and/or medicines?

Putting anything about the actual "vital or active" parts of the vaccine itself to the side (not sure what the terminology would be), I'm curious about the availability of things like the vials, the syringes, the "inactive" parts of the vaccine itself -- including whether or not it will cause critical shortages/outages for other important vaccines and/or medicines?

If this is the new RNA vaccine, it requires storage at very low temperatures compared to the rest of vaccines people take. This is brand new.

Yes, this to me is the more important question. To manufacture and distribute the vaccine to a large number of people will take a lot of time I imagine which is why early discussion about vaccinations is about just a limited number of people. It will likely be months still until it is readily available. When you combine it with the current ramp up to flu vaccines it's even more of a concern. I do know that there was some federal funding to allow for a manufacturing ramp up while trials were still underway to try and diminish the delay between approval and distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!