CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to all I’ve read, healthcare workers will be among the first to get the vaccine. Mandated, no doubt. Personally, I likely will continue to distance and mask and such, for my own protection and that of my patients and family. So yes.
Good for you. I hope others are as responsible. I truly believe there are those who will get the vaccine and say "that's it, I'm done with masks". Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good for you. I hope others are as responsible. I truly believe there are those who will get the vaccine and say "that's it, I'm done with masks". Hopefully I'm wrong.

If the cities/states/businesses still require masks, then everyone still has to comply.
I guess if people weren't complying already, then sure, they will stop wearing masks. Although I also think some of those people won't get the vaccine anyways...

I think most of us who are compliant with mask wearing, etc. will still wear the masks until requirements lifted (and hopefully most of us get the vaccine ;) ).

If the cities/states/businesses still require masks, then everyone still has to comply.
I guess if people weren't complying already, then sure, they will stop wearing masks. Although I also think some of those people won't get the vaccine anyways...

I think most of us who are compliant with mask wearing, etc. will still wear the masks until requirements lifted (and hopefully most of us get the vaccine ;) ).
You have more faith in humanity than I do. ;) We ran into a former acquaintance a couple weeks ago at a soccer game. She was proudly showing off her mesh "mask" (it was mesh, but had "sparklies" on it, so unless you were close to her, it looked like a normal mask. But, as she said "it fits the definition". I tried to keep my distance from her. lol

When our mask mandate is dropped I will joyfully stop wearing one. When our travel advisories are dropped I will vacation again. If cruising resumes or concert halls, theaters and major sporting events resume, I’ll consider participating, under whatever official guidelines are in place at that time. I don’t see doing what is officially permitted by our health authorities to be unreasonable or reckless.

Consider yourself being taken care of.
Only if every US state’s decisions were up to the health authorities. About a third of US states still do not have a mask mandate. This isn’t because the health authorities are saying its okay not to wear a mask. At least for us, what is officially permitted is not because things are safe to do so.

Only if every US state’s decisions were up to the health authorities. About a third of US states still do not have a mask mandate. This isn’t because the health authorities are saying its okay not to wear a mask. At least for us, what is officially permitted is not because things are safe to do so.
That works both ways though. Things that have been backed by science and given the stamp of approval by at least some in the medical community are not permitted or were not permitted during stay at home/safer at home/shelter in place and it wasn't because it wasn't safe to do so. I don't think we can act like everything was just one sided, it wasn't.

Heck in my metro there's at least one metro health professional who never supported the schools to close down, is backing that students should be allowed in-person, notating the transmission rate is lower than community throughout schools, etc. I'm trying to find the article that was really recent.

That is a good point. Lots of times here on the DIS we are speaking past one another because the local conditions are so very different.

Interesting note here: yesterday, the US hit a record for positive tests with 80,000+.

But, the US is now doing over ten times as many tests per day as it was in April.

I wonder how many undiagnosed positives there were in spring- 50,000 a day?

Interesting note here: yesterday, the US hit a record for positive tests with 80,000+.

But, the US is now doing over ten times as many tests per day as it was in April.

I wonder too, I think we could get some sense of it by comparing hospitalization numbers maybe?

Oh, no doubt at all that there were positives that were missed at the outset of this thing. But we also know that we're still not testing enough because a lot of states have pretty high/high positivity rates, which tells us we're missing cases.

I wonder too, I think we could get some sense of it by comparing hospitalization numbers maybe?
Great point. But I’m not even sure how to read that because they might be quicker to hospitalize now due to the availability of Remdesivir.

Well, hospitalizations are up 40% in the last couple of weeks. And it will continue to go up. But because of what health care professionals have learned, and a couple of drugs/therapeutics, we should lose fewer people.

Here in NJ, mask wearing is really very good overall, especially when compared with other parts of the country. But I just witnessed a big group going into an apartment building in my town, clearly getting ready for a wedding. Lots of people pulling up, some in bridesmaid dresses, only a couple of older women in the group wearing masks, all hugging and kissing. That's how this is spreading now. And while I hope we do better with protecting our most vulnerable, it's easy to see how this kind of behavior will lead to leaks in the system.

Well, hospitalizations are up 40% in the last couple of weeks. And it will continue to go up. But because of what health care professionals have learned, and a couple of drugs/therapeutics, we should lose fewer people.

Here in NJ, mask wearing is really very good overall, especially when compared with other parts of the country. But I just witnessed a big group going into an apartment building in my town, clearly getting ready for a wedding. Lots of people pulling up, some in bridesmaid dresses, only a couple of older women in the group wearing masks, all hugging and kissing. That's how this is spreading now. And while I hope we do better with protecting our most vulnerable, it's easy to see how this kind of behavior will lead to leaks in the system.

Yes, I fear winter will be bad with events and get togethers being indoors now, plus flu season.

Well it's late October. Is the vaccine coming this week? Asking for a friend.
Well, this is obviously what we were hoping to hear. And Pfizer said earlier this month that they would have all their safety data by the end of this month, so I'd expect more news this week.

Did you think it was really that "scheduled"? If it gets approved in the next couple of months, will you not appreciate the success of developing a vaccine that quickly?

You weren't referring to me, but I think we can be simultaneously impressed that a vaccine is going to be developed this quickly while understanding that for most of us, it's going to be another 6 months or so before we get it. I just saw on twitter that my governor (in NJ) is going to address "our plans for an equitable rollout of a vaccine once one is available." So, I'll be listening to that.

Scott Gottlieb, former FDA head, who has been apolitical during this whole deal and has pretty much just called balls and strikes, said this morning that we're going to have to go through another phase of this pandemic, and that's beginning now. He said it's likely to be the most difficult. We're all so tired of all of this, and want it to be over, but that's not where the virus is. And he also said that we are on the cusp...a tipping point, of heading into exponential spread in certain parts of the country. That's happening in Europe now. Italy and Spain instituted pretty tough restrictions yesterday, a sort of "quasi-lockdown". I suspect we'll see that here, but in our usual "ad hoc/no national plan" fashion....it'll be state by state, city by city, and finally, individual by individual.

You weren't referring to me, but I think we can be simultaneously impressed that a vaccine is going to be developed this quickly while understanding that for most of us, it's going to be another 6 months or so before we get it. I just saw on twitter that my governor (in NJ) is going to address "our plans for an equitable rollout of a vaccine once one is available." So, I'll be listening to that.

Scott Gottlieb, former FDA head, who has been apolitical during this whole deal and has pretty much just called balls and strikes, said this morning that we're going to have to go through another phase of this pandemic, and that's beginning now. He said it's likely to be the most difficult. We're all so tired of all of this, and want it to be over, but that's not where the virus is. And he also said that we are on the cusp...a tipping point, of heading into exponential spread in certain parts of the country. That's happening in Europe now. Italy and Spain instituted pretty tough restrictions yesterday, a sort of "quasi-lockdown". I suspect we'll see that here, but in our usual "ad hoc/no national plan" fashion....it'll be state by state, city by city, and finally, individual by individual.

Yep. We usually follow Europe by a month or two.

I don’t expect any lock downs until we’re pass the election.

Yep. We usually follow Europe by a month or two.

I don’t expect any lock downs until we’re pass the election.

My husband said this last night. Even then, I'm not sure how much more mitigation we'll see. If nothing else, I *hope* that our rapidly rising numbers gives people some pause regarding getting together for any indoor Halloween parties, and unfortunately, for Thanksgiving as well. We're really just getting started with colder/wetter weather here in NJ, and we've already seen numbers being to take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter