Cell phone on Africa Trek

scubadiver

Take only pictures, leave only bubbles
been doing some research on the Africa Trek, not the Safari. I note it states you can bring your cell phone, but it must be securely attached to your person. Can any one provide some insight as to what they have used to meet this obligation? Pictures would be.great.

Last edited:
Edited to add: I just realized you were asking about the Africa Trek, not the safari ride. So having not done the Trek, I guess I don't know the answer to your question. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who does though.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking at my post. I am sure I will get an answer soon.

been doing some research on the Africa Trek, not the Safari. I note it states you can bring your cell phone, but it must be securely attached to your person. Can any one provide some insight as to what they have used to meet this obligation? Pictures would be.great.
We did Wild Africa Trek. I think it just needs to be in a secure pocket or something, where it won't fall out. There are parts of the tour where you'll need to use both hands to cross things, and they don't want your phone falling into the crocodile pit, for instance. They take pics for you and provide you with an included picture cd (or at least did when we did the tour in 2014), so not sure why you'd want to carry your phone.

My wife and I did this Sept 2016. If you want to bring your cell phone they will attach it to your wrist with some string so it will not fall off you during the treck. I used my camcorder and had to have it attached to my hand. They did have a Disney Cast member taking photos with a DSLR. They took about 200 photos and all of them were wonderful. You get a digital download of all the photos after the trip. The digital photos are included with your price of the treck. Unless they have changed this in the past year. You can always call to double check. The treck was amazing and my wife and I will do it again someday. One word of advice. Depending on the time of year do the morning treck. We did the morning one and it was already 95 out. I can only imagine how hot it must be with an afternoon treck.

Thanks I was unaware they took pictures. I will confirm. One less thing to carry.

They slipped a tiny string through the case on my phone, and the other end was either on a lanyard or clipped to the jacket. In a pocket was not sufficient. We went in July 2016.

They take great pictures, but I liked taking my own too. I also was able to text my husband at one point, as he was not on the tour.

They will secure it as above. I didn’t take mine on the trek because they took a lot of photos and I was happy with that. I prefer to live in the moment and not be busy photographing or recording things. But if you are a person who enjoys taking photos you can take your phone. They will ensure everything is secure before you start the trek. It is a great experience. Our all time favorite tour so far.

It is best to leave the cell phone in the locker they provide. But I seem to remember that the vests that you wear have zippered pockets that could hold a phone. You would not want to be holding a phone while going over the rope bridge, and the Disney cast members do a great job of taking pictures. I believe we were able to use our phones during the meal on the platform.

As others have stated, everything must be attached to the vest via a clip or on some kind of lanyard. No loose items. I suggest leaving the phone in the locker. We did take cameras but they were either clipped to the vest or around the neck. They take dozens of pictures and you download them later. Best picture was one they took of DH taking pictures on the bridge you cross. Even though we knew they were taking pictures, he still simply had to do it himself. But unless you are really into photography and have a good camera, I say don't bother. They will do a very good job and best of all you get pictures of yourself.

Have fun. That tour was the highlight of that trip and I keep trying to find time to schedule it in again. Well worth the cost.

I did the tour in June of this year. Can confirm they do take tons of pics. They will take a group shot of everyone on the tour before you leave the hut/building. And through out the tour they would take pics of the people you are on the tour with. So for example it was me and my 14 year old nephew. They took several pics of just us 2. They did this on the truck with the griffafe in the background. And while eating they walked around and took pics of each group. For the rope/bridge they will have you stop in the middle to take your pics. You have a headset on so they tell you when to stop and look up. The staff made sure they had good pics. Not like sometimes the photo person at the parks are too much in a hurry and you will have a pics of half you head. We must have close to100 pics they took. We did take a slim camera that they put a string like thing thru a loop and then clipped it to my vest. The lockers they have are secured for each group and you make your own code if I remember correctly. This is one of the best tours I ever did. So well worth it. Just amazing. You will love it!!!

They do take pictures, but they also give you something to attach the phone to your vest (I believe it went through the bottom of the case). We went in Dec 2016, and everyone on our trek brought their phone along.

You can also take a GoPro. DS wore his on his head.

I'm in the camp of "leave it in the locker." They are SUPER serious about not having things with you that you could lose. They took more photos than I knew what to do with!

Just because someone brings their phone doesn’t mean they necessarily want it to take photos ...

My friends did this last year and their small kids were back with someone from one of the babysitting services at the hotel. They wanted to be sure they could be reached in case of an emergency.

Many people say leave the phone behind! Live in the moment! But there are more reasons someone may want or need a phone aside from taking photos.

I just did this tour last week. As others have said, as long as the phone can be tied to you with whatever they give you, you can take it. We opted to leave our phones in the lockers. They do take a lot of pictures. However, at one point, dh and I both wish one of us would have had a phone. I would have liked to have gotten a few more candid shots of my kids. The pics they took on the tour were awesome though--better than anything I have ever gotten from a Photopass photographer. They will take a shot of anything you ask and got lots of my family. A couple people on the tour took nice DSLR cameras. I own several DSLR cameras, and don't think I would have wanted to lug that along.

Side note--the Wild Africa Trek was the coolest thing we have ever done at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!