CHALLENGE!!!! Week of 3-10!

Jiminy102

<font color=blue>The TF is busy trying to tag peop
Ok all of you who are up for the challenge this week I think we will start slow! I challenge each of you to try AT LEAST 1 healthy recipe and share the results with the group!! THis is to be a recipe you have NEVER TRIED before but think sounds good!! If you need any ideas let me know I can help as I have lots of cookbooks!!!

What do you think?? Are YOU up for this challenge??

I will see you right here throughout the week............
If you dare!!!

Jiminy102, I think it is a great idea! This is a challange I could certainly fulfill! I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! Happy cooking!

I will let you know probably Wednesday, as DH is gone tonight. We will try it tomorrow.

Probably will try a "crock pot" receipe, since I've been doing lots of new stuff with that thanks to this board...

Well, I tried a new recipe last night and it was AWESOME!!! For those of you on WW, it's only 7 pts per serving as made. I made a few additions and it was really good! Here it is...

Three Cheesey Pizza
(makes 4 servings -- basically 1/4 of the pizza)

3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 pre-baked pizza crust (10 ounce) -- I used regular pizza dough that I make up ahead of time
4 oz. sliced ham (fat free) -- I used some nice prosciuotto that I had and added points
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp grated parmesan -- I used fresh grated romano (I like the taste of that better than parmesan)

1. Pre-heat oven to 450 F
2. Spread ricotta evenly over pizza crust
3. Top with ham, mozzarella and parmesan
4. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until the crust is crisp and cheese bubbling (approx. 10 minutes).

I also added chopped spinach and some caramelized onion to the topping, putting it on when I did the ham and mozzarella.

It was really tasty!!!!

I think I might make that cheesy pizza princessmom posted.

Great challenge idea...I tend to eat the same thing every night. Chicken. On the GF grill.

Ohhhhh...bad week for me to be cooking. Ummmm, so I think I'm out of this challenge. But I will check in to see how the meals were!!! I'm always up for new recipes!!!

I'll give it a try. I have a new Atkins ccokbook and I will try a meal and then post on it... Yippeee!!!!

Here's a yummy recipe from the new Weight Watcher's materials this year. I've made it a few times, and even my picky kids like it.

BEEF & NOODLES AU GRATIN

12 oz lean ground beef sirloin
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes (= entire 15 oz can)
3 oz uncooked broad noodles, cooked according to package directions
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.

2. In a 3-quart saucepan, cook beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up meat, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Stir in tomatoes, noodles, oregano, salt, and pepper. Spoon into 1-1/2-quart casserole; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, covered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings; 5 pts. per serving
Nutrition Information: 262 calories, 7g fat, 2.5g fiber

From Weight Watchers

I found this on Better Homes and Gardens web site and made a few modifications along the way.
I made it last night and other than it being very soupy it was quite tasty. Hubby even took a second helping.
I added a bit of extra garlic, since we are big time garlic lovers, and went with a sharp cheddar for the cheese. Hubby did top it with Parmasan cheese, so with all our added cheese it wasn't the "lowfat dish" I was orginally thinking it could be. But its was a great new way to use tofu and brown rice.

Spinach & Rice casserole

1 clove garlic, minced
1 can peeled Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
1 teaspoon dried oregano or basil, crushed
8 oz tofu, drained
2 cups brown rice, cooked
10 oz spinach
1/2 cup shredded cheese
salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan cook the garlic. Add undrained tomatoes and oregano or basil.
Bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, place tofu in a food processor bowl. Cover and process until smooth.
Add to tomato mixture. Stir in cooked rice, spinach, half the cheese, salt & pepper.

Spoon mixture into lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake uncovered, @ 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Ok My challenge victims!!! I have 2 new recipes for you.

First of all I tried to make a black bean dip to go with baked tostitos.

1/2 jar salsa-
1 can black beans
Fat free cheddar cheese

Place salsa in blender and mix until smooth, add black beans and pulse just to chop the beans up a little. Place in a bowl and mix in fat free cheddar cheese to tase.

The only points are from the black beans and the cheese if you use 1 cup of fat free cheddar and the whole can of beans the whole recipe is 11 points!! I also had thought but have not tried that this dip would be good put over ff cream cheese and heated.

Next we have:

Chicken with grapes
1/2 cup flour
1 teasp salt
1/2 teasp pepper
1 teasp paprika
4 large chicken breasts
2 pounds seedless grapes
1 pound fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup whole almonds

Preheat oven to 250. spary a large baking pan (I used a roaster) with pam. Combine 1st 4 ingredients. Dredge shicken in flour mixture. place in baking pan. Bake for 1 hour uncovered turning often during 1st half hour. After 1st hour turn chicken over sprinkle with grapes, mushrooms and almond. Cover and bake 2 additional hours. Serve with rice.

This is very yummy!! We really enjoyed it. It came form a website that my husband found calledcooks recipes

Who is going to post the challenge next week!!!

I made this Thursday and it was delicious. Keep in mind I am on a very low carb diet, so for those of you who are not, you can use low fat cream cheese and mayo. Topping with cocktail sauce makes it tastes even better! I used canned crab meat. Serve with crackers. (I had melba toast).

CRAB DIP

4 tablespoons (2 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup cooked crab meat
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Tabasco sauce, to taste

1.Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic powder until smooth.
2.Mix in crab meat, peppers, green onion and dill. Add Tabasco to taste. Refrigerate 1 hour for flavors to blend.

for the low cab dieters......

Serves 6
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup Milk
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup crushed pork rinds
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
Mix all the ingredients together. Shape mixture by Tablespoonfuls into 1 1"
balls. Place the meatballs in a lightly greased baking pan and bake,
uncovered, in a 400~ oven until light brown, about 20 minutes.
Drain off the excess fat.
Per Serving: (about 4 meatballs) Protein: 14.0g Carbs: 1.3g Dietary Fiber:
0.1g

You could probably make a good stroganoff by adding some sour cream to the Atkins Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe. That recipe is in the chicken casserole folder.

Hey I finally posted..better late than never.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter