Change in DCL Cancellation Policy on Select Sailings

mommy2tati

DIS Veteran
I got this this morning from my TA:

Update to Cruise Cancellation Policy May 15, 2012 by Disney Destinations

Effective today, the cancellation fee period will change for cruises 10 days or more and cruises less than 10 days where the embark and debark is a non-U.S. port. The 50% cancellation fee period will now be calculated at 55 days prior to vacation commencement versus 44 days. In 2012, this new policy will impact the 14-night Hawaiian cruise and 14-night Panama Canal Repositioning cruise. In 2013, it will impact Mediterranean, Alaskan and Repositioning cruises.
For reservations made prior to May 15, 2012, the cancellation fees assessed will be based on the cancellation fees listed on the original confirmation unless the sailing date or vacation package is modified.

Could someone please help me understand today's announcement about a new cancellation policy? It states, in part:
"...Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations...."
Does this mean no more changing of "dummy" bookings? Changing the vacation start date is considered a cancellation, therefore if I change my dummy booking we made onboard earlier this spring will I lose my 10% discount/lower deposit and the OBC? The dummy date is booked for a 3-night in fall 2013 but we had planned to change it to a 7-night in 2014 once the schedules are released. Bummer!
:(

Although, if it means only that one tries to switch dates within a certain time frame, then that is understandable. For example Mr. Cruiser decides he can't go on a booked cruise 43 days out and wants to move it further out.

But if it is meaning the dummy cruise thing, then bad move DCL! Again, it would make more sense to have future sailing certificates with no actual date involved. Sure, limit them to being needed to be used within a certain timeframe.

It is beginning to look like DCL had better get out there and make some clarifications to do some major damage control here. Some is speculation, and speculation is often inaccurate. But the old saying "where there is smoke, there is fire" is feeling pretty accurate right now.

We know you read the boards DCL. It's time to clarify things. You may well lose many cruisers to other lines if there is a lot of truth to things.

Was there always a charge for taking disney buses from the airport to the cruise line?

Yes, there was always a charge for the bus transportation (on the Magic MV, DCL screwed up and billed me twice!)

OK, am I nuts? Seems to me that it would have been better for DCO to make a blanket release of "we are making some changes to our policies" and get it all out at once rather than getting people irritated multiple times. This is a lot of days with changes!

Could someone please help me understand today's announcement about a new cancellation policy? It states, in part:
"...Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations...."
Does this mean no more changing of "dummy" bookings? Changing the vacation start date is considered a cancellation, therefore if I change my dummy booking we made onboard earlier this spring will I lose my 10% discount/lower deposit and the OBC? The dummy date is booked for a 3-night in fall 2013 but we had planned to change it to a 7-night in 2014 once the schedules are released. Bummer!

As I read that, the changes don't apply to your dummy booking, as it is less than 10 days, and embarks from a US port.

Although, if it means only that one tries to switch dates within a certain time frame, then that is understandable. For example Mr. Cruiser decides he can't go on a booked cruise 43 days out and wants to move it further out.

But if it is meaning the dummy cruise thing, then bad move DCL! Again, it would make more sense to have future sailing certificates with no actual date involved. Sure, limit them to being needed to be used within a certain timeframe.

It is beginning to look like DCL had better get out there and make some clarifications to do some major damage control here. Some is speculation, and speculation is often inaccurate. But the old saying "where there is smoke, there is fire" is feeling pretty accurate right now.

We know you read the boards DCL. It's time to clarify things. You may well lose many cruisers to other lines if there is a lot of truth to things.
This was my thinking too. They better clarify things rather than all the speculation that's out there.

Wonder if they've updated the website with all these changes they are making?

Was wondering too.

I would say that you can still have a "dummy" cruise and move it and keep the benefits, as long as the cruise you are moving from is not more than 10 days long or embarks from a non-US port.

Just saw this... This is a lot of change in a short amount of time.:mad:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-price.htm#cancel

Holy cow! From the link Keira posted:

Cancellations must be made by telephone or in writing. Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations.

Changes are not permitted once you're within the penalty period. You will need to cancel, pay the penalty that is in effect and rebook the new date.

Categories with Restrictions: Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions are non-refundable and non-transferable. A 100% cruise cancellation fee applies from time of payment.

The chart below outlines the current cancellation policy for 2012 DCL cruises less than 10 days where embark or debark is U.S. port.

If you cancel within this period: The cancellation fee is:

Suites/concierge staterooms:
45 + Days prior to sail = Loss of Deposit per guest.

Non-suites/concierge staterooms :
74 - 45 Days prior to sail = Loss of Deposit per guest.

All Categories:
44 - 30 Days prior to sail = 50% of vacation price per guest

All Categories:
29 - 15 Days prior to sail = 75% of vacation price per guest

All Categories:
14 Days or less before sailing = No refund

This sure does look like moving a dummy date or changing and/or adding people to your cabin IS a "cancellation". Since it's a "cancellation", I'm assuming the 10% discount, OBC, and the 10% instead of 20% deposit is gone if you move a dummy booking.

If this is indeed the case, it sure looks like my first cruise with DCL just might be my last. I was planning on booking a dummy while we're on the Fantasy this August and moving it once 2014's cruises were announced.

From what is posted above, then moving the vacation date appears to count as a cancellation for ALL cruises.

If so, DCL has effectively obliviated the use of the dummy date for onboard booking. If it is considered a cancellation, then yes, once you change the date the 10% discount and OBC are gone.

There can also be no more substitution of names without cancelling, apparently.

From what is posted above, then moving the vacation date appears to count as a cancellation for ALL cruises.

If so, DCL has effectively canceled the use of the dummy date for onboard booking. If it is considered a cancellation, then yes, once you change the date the 10% discount and OBC are gone.

I hope not. We are on the Fantasy next week and would like to cruise again in 2014. If they don't have 2014 dates available & dummy bookings no longer work, then I won't be booking another cruise on Disney while on board. I still may book one in 2014, but would be more likely to wait for a last minute deal.

If so, DCL has effectively obliviated the use of the dummy date for onboard booking. If it is considered a cancellation, then yes, once you change the date the 10% discount and OBC are gone.

Wow, that's a major change.

As I read that, the changes don't apply to your dummy booking, as it is less than 10 days, and embarks from a US port.

Holy cow! From the link Keira posted:

Cancellations must be made by telephone or in writing. Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations.

This sure does look like moving a dummy date or changing and/or adding people to your cabin IS a "cancellation". Since it's a "cancellation", I'm assuming the 10% discount, OBC, and the 10% instead of 20% deposit is gone if you move a dummy booking.

If this is indeed the case, it sure looks like my first cruise with DCL just might be my last. I was planning on booking a dummy while we're on the Fantasy this August and moving it once 2014's cruises were announced.

I hope not. We are on the Fantasy next week and would like to cruise again in 2014. If they don't have 2014 dates available & dummy bookings no longer work, then I won't be booking another cruise on Disney while on board. I still may book one in 2014, but would be more likely to wait for a last minute deal.

If this helps, I am currently looking at one of my reservation confirmations from our recent B2B cruises but it was printed out 10/31/2010 and it has the same wording about changes to vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names being considered cancellations. So that part appears to not be a new addition to the cancellation policy.

Again, DCL needs to get out there and do clarification. ASAP.

All this is making other lines look more "apples to apples" when it comes to comparing. I am smart enough to know some things will always change, but most businesses try to protect their reputations. This bits and pieces thing is so hurting that.

cancellation fee period will now be calculated at 55 days prior to vacation commencement versus 44 days. []

Am I missing something? The change seems to be you have to cancel you cruise 55 days before your cruise vs. 44. Why is this a big deal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter