Changing Magical Express pick up time

TinkerTerry

Mouseketeer
Is it possible to schedule a later pick up time with Magical express? 3 hours early was too much for me and now 4 hours is crazy for me. Anyone have any experience doing this?

You can't request a later time. Too many opportunities for finger-pointing at Disney if something happens and you don't make it in time. Take a look at Uber/Lyft if you'd like to leave later.

There have been reports that due to increased security that it is currently taking up to 2 hours in line alone. 4 hours does seem a bit excessive but not really by much. When you figure around 45 minutes to the airport, then possibly 2 hours in line at security ( and there's no guarantee it will be any shorter ) even if I decided to get my own car or uber/taxi, I personally, would still give at least 3 and a half hours.

I have flown out of Mco 3 Times this year. The last time was October. I have Tsa pre and have a later flight on a week night. I haven’t waited in line for more than a few minutes. I’m always waiting at the terminal for an hour plus. Of course I would rather wait at Stormalong Bay.

I have flown out of Mco 3 Times this year. The last time was October. I have Tsa pre and have a later flight on a week night. I haven’t waited in line for more than a few minutes. I’m always waiting at the terminal for an hour plus. Of course I would rather wait at Stormalong Bay.

Take a taxi or rideshare. It’s your answer right now.

Last feb it took us nearly 2 hours to get from boarding our bus TO the airport. We had three more stops and he waited ages at each one, and then the driver was the slowest coach driver ever.

Pre is great but mco is just about the worst airport at security, so I wouldn’t let positive experiences color future experiences with them. Not when mco itself is saying they are going to be slowing themselves down.

We just got back this afternoon and had the 4 hour pickup. For the 1st time we headed straight to MCO from POFQ usually the bus stops at OKW and SSR after we get on. Then another 30 to 40 minutes before we got off of Disney property. There was a MDE employee surveying after we got off asking our resort and flight time. She was also warning people that recently the lines at security were over an hour. We had precheck & checked our bags at the resort so we were through with a lot of time too spare.I did overhear people at our boarding gate commenting that for a change security wasn't too bad compared to normal so maybe we hit a lull . After a trip when we only had time to grab a sandwich at Wendy's and a quick stop to get bottled water at the news kiosk we have requested 3.5 hour pickups so the change isn't much to us.

Last edited:
If you have to check in at the airport you may not want to leave any later. Frontier check in lines were a nightmare and all we needed to do was check luggage. We are pre check and got to MCO about 3 hours ahead of our flight. We had a whopping 20 minutes at the gate before we boarded. Factor in the fact that security at MCO is hit or miss and there is a good reason they are now saying 4 hours. If I had check in at the resort I might then decide to uber.

I just can't imagine that four hours is necessary from resort to MCO. Maybe on major holidays, but on off-days, like after thanksgiving week/weekend and x-mas week/weekend and new years, no.

If you have to check in at the airport you may not want to leave any later. Frontier check in lines were a nightmare and all we needed to do was check luggage. We are pre check and got to MCO about 3 hours ahead of our flight. We had a whopping 20 minutes at the gate before we boarded. Factor in the fact that security at MCO is hit or miss and there is a good reason they are now saying 4 hours. If I had check in at the resort I might then decide to uber.
I noticed walking though the airport that the check in lines looked long today.

On a trip in 2014 I missed my pick time (I had gone to DS and misjudged the time it took to get back by boat) so they booked me on a later bus. Is it cheating to do that accidentally-on-purpose?

You were lucky. It is possible that the next time you try this the next bus might be too full for you and then you have a good chance of missing your flight.

Shoot to be back at your resort an hour before your Magical Express bus time back to the airport. If, despite this the boat's (or park bus') arrival back at your resort is too close for comfort, then grab a cab instead back to your resort.

Last edited:
On a trip in 2014 I missed my pick time (I had gone to DS and misjudged the time it took to get back by boat) so they booked me on a later bus. Is it cheating to do that accidentally-on-purpose?
A better solution is to take Uber, Lyft or a taxi from DS directly to MCO. You have to allow almost an hour to get from DS to your resort using a Disney bus. It's maybe a 30 minute ride from DS to MCO.
You'll have an extra 2-3 hours at DS. More then enough extra time to deplete your spare change and available credit.

I just can't imagine that four hours is necessary from resort to MCO. Maybe on major holidays, but on off-days, like after thanksgiving week/weekend and x-mas week/weekend and new years, no.
Well, if you're not the last stop, you could spend an hour on that bus, before you even leave WDW property. Then, with all the construction in MCO, your trek to security will be longer than before....smaller spaces for the same number of people means slower walking. And if you don't have precheck? The regular security lines are running at about 30 mins..average. Many have reported being in that line for an hour. Then, there is construction in some of the tram areas, so if you're flying JB, you are going to face a wait to get a tram...only one is running at that area. My friend reported that there were many people running to get to their gates a few weeks ago...and the new security hadn't been fully implemented at that point.
So, do you need to leave four hours early? Probably not. But you sure can't leave property 2.5 hrs early anymore. Better safe than sorry at MCO. I would much rather face an addtl hour at the gate vs looking at my watch, with 200 people in front of me in the security line as I approach my boarding time!!!

I guess so. I have never gotten on a ME bus that was full. On my Sept trip I was 1 of 8 people going to the resorts and 1 of 14 heading to the airport.
Here's the issue. There may not be another bus arriving at your particular resort for an hour. If there aren't any guests that fit the timing of a bus 30 mins after your assigned bus, there won't be a bus. They don't automatically run buses every 30 mins! As far as crowded vs non-crowded buses go? I haven't been on a bus that was less than 2/3 full in the past year...coming or going. Disney is running buses more full than they used to. Now, with the change to 4 hrs prior to departure, who knows what the situation will be like. But, I certainly wouldn't miss your bus, hoping to get on the next one. You may find yourself scrambling to find your own transportation back to MCO. It isn't Disney's responsibility to provide you with other transport.

Book a car service to pick you up at a certain time. We've had good experiences with Happy Limo.

We just flew back on Wednesday night. A solid 1 1/2 hours in line for security. It was completely insane. We got there plenty early but had to meet up with a shuttle from the Hampton who was returning a lost item for us (only took about 15 minutes or so). Thought we had plenty of time to hit some shops, grab some dinner, etc. Nope. Ended up with 10 minutes to scarf down some pizza and use the bathroom before boarding.

I would book a car if you like but they won't allow you to go any later. And considering some of the trips I've been on where we had 3 more resort stops and delays I can understand why.

I like the idea of hiring transportation to MCO for our return flight. We plan on eating lunch and shopping at DS our last day. Having to bus back to the resort plus the extra hour would not leave much shopping time. We are a party of 6 adults, one 4 yr old, and one 18 month old both without car seats and one 3 month old with a Chico car seat/carrier but not the base. Any suggestions on how to handle the diverse needs of our group? Also any one-way Uber or limo cost data points would be appreciated.

Just reserved DME for January 4th..... 3:40pm flight.... pick up time is 11:20AM :(... I would get TSA pre check, but there are 9 of us. Maybe see how this thread goes and reports, and may do Happy Limo as a plan B....

Irresponsible. Go ahead and lie if you choose, but please don't hold Disney even the tiniest iota of responsible for your inaction.
I like the idea of hiring transportation to MCO for our return flight. We plan on eating lunch and shopping at DS our last day. Having to bus back to the resort plus the extra hour would not leave much shopping time. We are a party of 6 adults, one 4 yr old, and one 18 month old both without car seats and one 3 month old with a Chico car seat/carrier but not the base. Any suggestions on how to handle the diverse needs of our group? Also any one-way Uber or limo cost data points would be appreciated.
Nine people need at least two vehicles.

Über with a carseat is bookabke, but can take somewhat/substantially longer to arrive. Times two. See rideguru.com for estimates costs, and the Everything About Über/Lyft thread on this forum.

Is the four hour ahead of flight pick up time firm across all resorts? I can't seem to find the original thread or news piece of this change anymore! TIA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter