Changing Magical Express pick up time

I don't know what the actual times were, but in early October, the waits at MCO the day we flew out were insane. We waited at the TSA agent for a good 20 minutes-4 or 5 agents across and not a single person in any line moved for 20 minutes. As much as I would rather be having a Mickey bar on Main Street rather than heading to the airport, I would WAY rather be bored at the gate than losing my mind because we couldn't get the rental car returned or the check in at the airport was slow or traffic somewhere was backed up or the security line was way long.

We do have Pre, but I was unable to use it at MCO this trip because JB fouled up with updating the name on reservation for the flight home (flight down was fine). We will be flying SW this next trip and using Pre on both ends.

We had a 7:05 am flight on Saturday. Our pickup time was 2:55 am. We were the second of 3 stops. Once we got through security we had about 2 hours and 15 minutes until our flight. It was brutal, especially so early in the morning, it would have been nice to sleep a little longer.

We had a 7:05 am flight on Saturday. Our pickup time was 2:55 am. We were the second of 3 stops. Once we got through security we had about 2 hours and 15 minutes until our flight. It was brutal, especially so early in the morning, it would have been nice to sleep a little longer.

The problem is, everything is so inconsistent. I've been in the security line for over 40 minutes at MCO. My last trip I breezed thru in under 5. I've gotten on the DME bus and headed right to the airport. I've gotten on and spent an hour driving around to other resorts. You just never know.

Does anyone know about international flights?

Surely, they aren't backing them out to 5 hours. Everyone is now the same at 4.

Nine people need at least two vehicles.

Über with a carseat is bookabke, but can take somewhat/substantially longer to arrive. Times two. See rideguru.com for estimates costs, and the Everything About Über/Lyft thread on this forum.

Even that won’t work for them. I’m pretty sure Uber will only provide 1 car seat per car, and I think the seat is forward facing? This person needs 3 car seats (since they don’t have the base for the baby). All 3 of those kids still need to be in a car seat with a 5 point harness, and 2 of them need to be rear facing.

Honestly, for this particular situation, ME would be the easiest, even though it’s an earlier pick up time. They may actually need extra time to get through the airport with kids those ages!

I've decided for my trip in December to take an Uber back from Ft. Wilderness, giving myself 3hrs from calling the Uber to my flight. This is a weekend trip (fly in late Friday, back late Sunday) primarily to see family, so time is precious.

Circumstances that effected my decision:
1. I will not be checking luggage, and will checking in for the flight online. I shouldn't have to deal with any lines once at the airport besides security.
2. Southwest has a flight after mine that currently has seats for sale. If I do miss my flight, the worst case scenario has me still getting home. As a single, it's a lot easier to try and squeeze on flights.

Yes, the 4 hour advertised Magical Express pickup at the resorts and bound for the airport is for all resorts.

DME continues to be a one size fits all operation.

There will be a range from 3-3/4 hour to 4-1/4 hour pickups now much as there used to be a range of 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hour pickups in the past since the normal interval between DME buses is 1/2 hour. (If no one had a reservation back to the airport from a particular resort for a particular half hour slot, no bus might hit that resort for that slot.)

Last edited:
We just got back - originally planned to use DME round trip as we normally do but when I read about the 4 hour pick up rule I changed to a town car. Since we were arriving later and had planned to grab our bags on the inbound anyway it made sense due to the grocery stop offered and the later pick up time on the return trip as we have TSA Pre and can use RAC for our bags. As it turns it out this saved us over 2 hours on our return trip!

Even though I did cancel our DME reservation I still got the return trip voucher the day prior and our pick up time was 11:40 for a 4pm flight!
So I called to cancel and just for future reference asked if a later pick was an option for those with TSA pre and he said no, guests can request an earlier time but not a later time. This isn't new news I realize but just thought I would share the recent conversation.

Town car picked us up at 1:30 - just over 30 minutes to the airport, we had no bags to check as we used RAC and TSA pre had short line and we were at the gate in plenty of time to grab snacks and relax prior to boarding.

Not sure what we will do for our December trip, probably DME on the inbound and uber/lyft for the return trip to the airport.

Hope this helps :)

Even that won’t work for them. I’m pretty sure Uber will only provide 1 car seat per car, and I think the seat is forward facing? This person needs 3 car seats (since they don’t have the base for the baby). All 3 of those kids still need to be in a car seat with a 5 point harness, and 2 of them need to be rear facing.

Honestly, for this particular situation, ME would be the easiest, even though it’s an earlier pick up time. They may actually need extra time to get through the airport with kids those ages!

I reserved Happy Limo, they will provide the two car seats and the base. Picking us up at DS in a van that will accommodate all 9 of us.

We just got back - originally planned to use DME round trip as we normally do but when I read about the 4 hour pick up rule I changed to a town car. Since we were arriving later and had planned to grab our bags on the inbound anyway it made sense due to the grocery stop offered and the later pick up time on the return trip as we have TSA Pre and can use RAC for our bags. As it turns it out this saved us over 2 hours on our return trip!

Even though I did cancel our DME reservation I still got the return trip voucher the day prior and our pick up time was 11:40 for a 4pm flight!
So I called to cancel and just for future reference asked if a later pick was an option for those with TSA pre and he said no, guests can request an earlier time but not a later time. This isn't new news I realize but just thought I would share the recent conversation.

Town car picked us up at 1:30 - just over 30 minutes to the airport, we had no bags to check as we used RAC and TSA pre had short line and we were at the gate in plenty of time to grab snacks and relax prior to boarding.

Not sure what we will do for our December trip, probably DME on the inbound and uber/lyft for the return trip to the airport.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for posting your timeline and that you used RAC. RAC was the one thing I wasn't 100% sure about, but that will make the departure from DS much smoother.

Last edited:
I reserved Happy Limo, they will provide the two car seats and the base. Picking us up at DS in a van that will accommodate all 9 of us.

That sounds great! Just remember that if you’re traveling to DS via Disney transport, luggage is not allowed. So if you have carry-on luggage that is big or on wheels, etc., that can’t be brought into the bus.

That sounds great! Just remember that if you’re traveling to DS via Disney transport, luggage is not allowed. So if you have carry-on luggage that is big or on wheels, etc., that can’t be brought into the bus.
That's a good point, I modified the resv to include a stop back at BWV to grab our carry-ons, just in case. I'm pretty sure we will check it all but the backpacks but better safe than sorry. Thanks

Thanks for posting your timeline and that you used RAC. RAC was the one thing I wasn't 100% sure about, but that will make the departure from DS much smoother.

RAC is great- open from 4-12 now and bags must be checked at least 4 hours prior to flight departure time. Most airlines participate but not all so be sure the airline participates and your set! Everyone checking a bag that is over 18 has to be present and show id just like at the airport or curbside.

They won't accept a later pickup time. the pickup time is calculated according to what the Orlando airport authority recommends for passenger arrival times. They just increased that time, so DME did also.

And yes, the four hour pickup time is for all resorts.

I would much rather be early than late but the four hours was a bit much for us! We left yesterday (Sunday 12/3) & had a 1:20pm Southwest flight. DME picked us up at WL at 9:10am. Arrived at MCO at 9:50. Through TSA (regular line) & in the terminal by 10:20. I'm sure as the holidays gets closer travelers may need that extra time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter