Changing reservation to use your points as you want

badeacon

DIS Veteran
I was under the impression that a member could call MS and use the points that the member wanted to use to book a reservation and not in the order the online booking tool uses. A CM and supervisor says NO.
I had a reservation booked for May which Disney cancelled. This was a reservation made with a 100 point Feb UY contract with 97 banked 2019 points and 32 2020 points, so 129 points. Those are now back in my account. I had a reservation in October using the same contract with 68 2020 points and 37 borrowed from 2021 .
I was wanting to change the October reservation to using all 100 current 2020 points and 5 from banked or borrowed. They told me this could not be done, that the banked and borrowed points had to used first and they could not override the system.
Is this true?
I know this seems unusual to want to use current year points first , but I have my reasons for this and feel a member should be able to use their points in the order they wish while staying in the banking and borrowing parameters.

Yes. They will always use banked and borrowed to free up current UY.

it will allow this so you can still bank. As the noted, you have now have those type of points and can modify October to put those points in that to free up as many 2020 points as possible.

Yes. They will always use banked and borrowed to free up current UY.

it will allow this so you can still bank. As the noted, you have now have those type of points and can modify October to put those points in that to free up as many 2020 points as possible.
I know that is how the online booking tool works, but as I said ,I do not want to free up 2020 points, I want to use them for the October reservation I already had with some 2020 points and wanted to change the reservation to use all my 2020 points.
I thought one could call MS and have them change the points around to how one wanted to use them.
Has anyone been able to call MS and rearrange points on a reservation to how the member wants to use them?? The points a want to use are available in the account, not tied up in another reservation.

Last edited:
No. They will not use current UY points as long as your account has banked and borrowed points.

Now, you could modify to free up all current UY points and try to rebook the October nights again. That is the only way it would work.
Other than that, it’s not allowed to do what you want.

I'm also not sure why you wouldn't want to use your banked 2019 points.

The system is setup to use the points with the shortest lifespan. In the case of the banked points, they expire at the end of the 2020 use year. The borrowed points expire at the end of the 2020 use year.

The 2020 use year points expire at the end of the 2020 use year. HOWEVER, they can be banked, so their lifespan can be extended to expire at the end of the 2021 use year.

Why would you want to use the points that have a later expiration?

Unless your real question is about unborrowing the 2021 points? And that can't be done.

No. They will not use current UY points as long as your account has banked and borrowed points.

Now, you could modify to free up all current UY points and try to rebook the October nights again. That is the only way it would work.
Other than that, it’s not allowed to do what you want.
That won't work either because no studio availability now in October.
I guess that is asking a lot to use my points in the order I would like to.

I'm also not sure why you wouldn't want to use your banked 2019 points.

The system is setup to use the points with the shortest lifespan. In the case of the banked points, they expire at the end of the 2020 use year. The borrowed points expire at the end of the 2020 use year.

The 2020 use year points expire at the end of the 2020 use year. HOWEVER, they can be banked, so their lifespan can be extended to expire at the end of the 2021 use year.

Why would you want to use the points that have a later expiration?

Unless your real question is about unborrowing the 2021 points? And that can't be done.
I'm just wanting to use my points in the order i would like to. I'm not trying to unbank or unborrow any points. As stated above in first post, I know it is unusual to not want to use other points before current use year but with all the uncertainty , I would like to have all my current use year points under the October reservation, if in September, 31 days before checkin, it appears not to be wise to go to Disney, then i can cancel and bank the 2020 points. The banked and borrowed points have to be used by Feb1 ,2021 or they are lost, I am OK with that and that gives me some flexibility to use into January.
I do not want to cancel my October reservation now, because no way ,could I rebook the 5 studio nights .

If there is nothing left to book, then that workaround won’t work. It was the only one I could think of to get around the rules

I am sure it’s frustrating but unfortunately, the system is such that current UY points will always be the last used if the other, more restrictive points are available,

I ended up with having an issue with some transferred points and it wouldst allow them to be used until all my borrowed points were used. I had to cancel a night, move them into a different reservation and then Rebook my canceled night. The CM mentioned the system works certain ways and there is no override to it.

You might not be permitted to unborrow the 37 Feb points since it is a lot later in the year. If you wanted to unborrow points from a June reservation, you would be permitted to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter