'Chartpocalypse Day' (because of the 2020 Charts) or should we call it 'Disney Debacle Day?'

Frederic Civish

“I’m just here for the Ears.”
DVC Gold
I was just looking over information from the Disney Debacle (didn't it occur on December 19th, 2918?) where Disney released the 'New Point Charts for 2020' and attempted the most awesome point grab in DVC history.

I think we should 'celebrate' this day, to keep it fresh in our minds, so that 'next time' we will be a little more prepared.

I propose we set up a 'Chartpocalypse Day' to be 'observed' every year on December 19th (wasn't that the day?). Or maybe we should call it 'Disney Debacle Day?' (DDD) Or how about "Day of the Great Mouse 'Gerrymander?'" (I know, it doesn't 'quite' fit the definition of Gerrymandering, but then, what they did doesn't fit the definition of an 'honest mistake' either.)

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
December 19, 2003 was the first day we stayed using our DVC points. We stayed at VWL of course! It is also the day our first grandson was born. I already celebrate that day, and have no desire to tarnish the memories!

I was just looking over information from the Disney Debacle (didn't it occur on December 19th, 2918?) where Disney released the 'New Point Charts for 2020' and attempted the most awesome point grab in DVC history.

I think we should 'celebrate' this day, to keep it fresh in our minds, so that 'next time' we will be a little more prepared.

I propose we set up a 'Chartpocalypse Day' to be 'observed' every year on December 19th (wasn't that the day?). Or maybe we should call it 'Disney Debacle Day?' (DDD) Or how about "Day of the Great Mouse 'Gerrymander?'" (I know, it doesn't 'quite' fit the definition of Gerrymandering, but then, what they did doesn't fit the definition of an 'honest mistake' either.)

What do you guys think?

May be I am confused, but shouldn't the celebration be on the day it was officially retracted? However, the celebration may be short-lived because I am sure DVC/DVD will try to pull similar stunts again in the near future (perhaps not as dramatic to dampen potential uproar).

LAX

lol - makes me think of Cupgate that was long celebrated. And now they took the cups away. If Cupgate had continued to be celebrated maybe that wouldn't have happened. :goodvibes

Newbie... What happened with the points and the cups?

Cups are easier to explain. One day SSR had real coffee cups and glasses in the studios and the next they were changed out for paper. The reason was that apparently they suddenly had no way to property sanitize them. The changed garnered lots of input from members and DVC decided to install dishwashers and the mugs and glasses were back.

Chartpocalypse is quite a bit more involved but the summary is that when the 2020 points charts were released studios and 1BR's had been increased almost across the board. 2 bedrooms had some decreases but it did not offset the increases. Then people started delving into if allocations could even occur across villa types and the little known lock-off premium came to the forefront. And how this type of reallocation was contrary to what was in contracts or other understanding product check lists that buyers had been acknowledging for years. The lock-off premium is real though. In effect DVC had increased the point requirements at the resorts which the end result would have been additional breakage and income to DVC from that. It was several weeks but DVC revised the point charts to the same as they were in 2019 with a remark that they hadn't explained it well enough. (FYI - that was not the problem)

Oh - and in the 1-2 years the real mugs and glasses disappeared from SSR again and other resorts. It did not garner quite as much ire this time although they were brought back into a few of the resorts so I'd guess some complaints were heard.

Riviera has real, actual, ceramic coffee mugs. And a sink and soap to wash it, butno dishwasher to 'sanitize' them. I wonder how long it will be before they decide 'Europeans' could actually drink their coffee out of a paper cup?

Cups are easier to explain. One day SSR had real coffee cups and glasses in the studios and the next they were changed out for paper. The reason was that apparently they suddenly had no way to property sanitize them. The changed garnered lots of input from members and DVC decided to install dishwashers and the mugs and glasses were back.

Chartpocalypse is quite a bit more involved but the summary is that when the 2020 points charts were released studios and 1BR's had been increased almost across the board. 2 bedrooms had some decreases but it did not offset the increases. Then people started delving into if allocations could even occur across villa types and the little known lock-off premium came to the forefront. And how this type of reallocation was contrary to what was in contracts or other understanding product check lists that buyers had been acknowledging for years. The lock-off premium is real though. In effect DVC had increased the point requirements at the resorts which the end result would have been additional breakage and income to DVC from that. It was several weeks but DVC revised the point charts to the same as they were in 2019 with a remark that they hadn't explained it well enough. (FYI - that was not the problem)
So how exactly does that work when they reallocate points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter