Check out privileges from Kids Club

My son has had check out permissions since our first cruise (though he didn't know it at the time). Rules are he can go wherever he wants (in public areas) as long as he lets me know. Last cruise he had the choice to take my old phone around with him or go back to the room and leave a note on the whiteboard. He did about 50/50.

One thing - as a parent, how will you react if your child is temporarily lost? Me? I'm pretty laid back and figure I'll find him eventually. But once when there was a communication snafu around dinner time, he was momentarily misplaced. I didn't worry, but when I showed up at dinner and told my table mates, they seemed to be weirded out that I wasn't concerned (in the end, it turned out we were following each other around the ship, both going to all the agreed upon meeting places, just not at the same time). Stuff like that is when the delay of the app is annoying. Also, don't expect the counselors at Edge to keep track of when your kid comes and goes. They may, but it's not part of their job like it is in the younger clubs.

We were just on a cruise (the WBPC actually!) and my 11 year old had the freedom to check in and out. Although he spent most of his time in Edge which has that freedom anyway. He had a phone with him and we just used the chat feature on the app to stay in touch with him.

in the end, it turned out we were following each other around the ship, both going to all the agreed upon meeting places, just not at the same time
Lesson learned: Only have one meeting place!
We live near King's Dominion amusement park and have had season passes for years. When the kids were younger we'd say every time we went in that if anyone got separated we'd meet at the Eiffel Tower (since you can see it from anyplace in the park). A few years later, one son and I had gone to ride a rollercoaster while my wife and other son stayed in the water park. When we came back, I didn't see them at the wave pool. (And I didn't have my phone.) Without missing a beat my son calmly says, "Well, if we can't find them here we'll just go to the Eiffel Tower." Great to know that the message sunk in!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter