China Visas (Applied For)

What about flight between Chinese cities. Do you need that when applying for visa or do you simply need just your flight from the US?

This should help. The 144 hour visa applies to only specific cities in China.

China's 144-hour visa-free transit policy is carried out in Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang, as well as Beijing, Tianjinand Hebei, to facilitate international travelers. It allows passengers from 53 countries or regions to transit in either Shanghai-Jiangsu-Zhejiang region or Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region for no more than 144 hours (6 days) without holding a visa.

I almost forgot to note that while we do not speak Mandarin, I did pick up this nifty device that can translate one way that should help for the trip.

https://iamili.com/

I would LOVE if you could update on how well this works for you. We are probably going to Shanghai in November now instead of going back to Japan and I also don't speak a word of Mandarin... ^^;

Just thought I would update everyone on a recent change to the China Visa form. We live in Canada but I would assume that this change applies to all Chinese Visas including the US. The form we downloaded from the website asked us to list all countries we have visited in the last 12 months. When my husband went to the office with the papers, he was told there was a change and we had to provide proof of all countries visited since Jan 2015. He was easily able to update all the forms by handwriting in the extra countries. Mine and my husbands passports were issued in 2013 so they were fine. Our son just got a new passport but since he is a minor they didn’t ask for his old one even though my husband brought it just in case. The new rule did affect our daughter who just turned 18 and is now an adult. Her current passport was issued in Mar 2015 so he had to go home to get her old passport to prove that she didn’t travel anywhere on her own from Jan-Mar 2015 when she was 14. Luckily we live close and he was able to leave all the papers there and go home and go right back to the same clerk. All is well and we just picked up our approved visas on Friday. Even though we applied for a single entry we all got multi entry visas which are valid for the duration of the current passports.

Did you end up utilizing the Ili translator? How did it go?

I didn't need it in Hong Kong as I speak some Cantonese, but for Shanghai, I actually found it easier to use my phone translator. I had a hot spot from Hong Kong with unlimited data and kept it hooked up to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!