Choosing to stay during a mandatory evacuation

teller80

DIS Veteran
I see stories of people who have to be rescued and I wonder: if they were IN the evacuation zone and chose to stay and then need to be rescued, shouldn't they be fined? I personally think the fine should be pretty hefty. Thoughts?

I’m in NC, but not on the coast. However, I do have some fairly strong feelings about those who choose not to evacuate in a mandatory evacuation zone. There are always going to be people with “reasons” what they didn’t/couldn’t evacuate. But, for every one of those reasons, there were plenty of services, people offering to assist, free places to go, etc. Those who chose to stay knew there was a chance that their decision may result in injury or death...to THEMSELVES. However, they then call for help, and expect others to risk their lives to rescue them. That’s what upsets me most. Don’t put others in harms way to save you because you made the choice to ignore all warnings.

I see stories of people who have to be rescued and I wonder: if they were IN the evacuation zone and chose to stay and then need to be rescued, shouldn't they be fined? I personally think the fine should be pretty hefty. Thoughts?
Well, I think they should bear some of the cost. Or, at least, have to wait until it's safe the the responders to rescue them (or for them to get out on their own).

Too many think "I'll just wait it out and see." And then put others at risk when they finally figure out "Yeah, well, I should have left....., please come and get me."

I live on an island in SW Florida. Before Irma hit us last year, we were told mandatory evacuation was in effect. Right before the storm hit, the last ambulance left the island for the mainland to protect it. During the storm, someone called 911 and needed an ambulance. They were told there was no ambulance, no one could respond and they would have to wait until the storm passed since mandatory evacuation was in effect.

This is an interesting thing...because we say evacuation in mandatory and people will not be coming to save you.

And time and time again, because we are a compassionate society and the first responders/fire/police/etc are brave they end up trying to save people anyway.

So, we do not teach a lesson, but the lesson would be brutal (possibly death).

I always feel for the first responders and their families in these situations. They are having to risk their lives for a bunch of people who were not smart enough to get the heck out. There were services all over the place, free rides out, free places to stay, free food... but no. People decided to just stay in their homes and risk not only their own lives, but the lives of those who now have to save their butts.

It’s not always so simple. I have a job that requires me to stay. My husband and dog were going to evacuate, but the forecast improved - evacuation order was still in place. They stayed home, and the highest wind gust we had here was 50 mph. We never even lost power. Sometimes, you have to weigh the situation and make an informed decision.

I've seen this recently, as I have family all along the coast.. responses are " I don't have somewhere to go with my pets" and "I can't afford to evacuate". The other issue is, and I had 2 cousins, my niece, a 3 month, 8 month, 1 year and 3 year old here last year - you are aren't allowed to come back in very quickly.

In AZ during monsoon season we can have roadways flood, we have a law called the stupid motorist law which allows the first responders to fine a driver that stupidly tried crossing and got stuck or washed away and required rescue..they are then financially responsible for the cost of their rescue.

Seems fair, it's discretion based so if you have a good excuse or whatever you may not have to pay.

No judgement. Perhaps more people would be willing to evacuate if Government agencies didn’t truly lock them out of the affected areas when they try to return to their homes after the storm has passed.

We had a Gale hit in 2006 with 90 mph winds. Just warnings and no evacuation needed. Lost power for a week. After day 3 of no power or heat and having 2 babies, we evacuated. Once we left we couldn’t return until the downed trees were cleared, downed power lines removed, and power was restored.

A fine seems reasonable to me. In a mandatory evacuation if one chooses not to evac and subsequently requires emergency services for a rescue, I think a fine is appropriate. The people refusing to leave are putting first responders in harm's way to rescue them, we have fines for much lesser offenses.

There are heartbreaking 9-11 calls from Katrina of people who stayed and called for help that could not get out in the storm.

The dispatchers are still traumatized knowing they were unable to send help. And people did die.

The fear of looters coming in is real and the fear of not being allowed back in to secure your things is also real.

I really don't agree with fines. First responders don't have to answer 911 calls, they can tell people "no" if they want, all of that I'm ok with, but not the fines. Because you could have a huge hole in your roof or whatever and by the time the gov't lets you back in then your house damaged much more severely. And then there's the looters...

I don't think people stay behind during devastating storms for kicks & grins. Many can't afford or find a way to evacuate. Many don't want to leave pets and don't have the equipment/paperwork to get them into a shelter (if it wasn't already full and/or prohibitively far away). Many are very worried about being barred from their homes and stranded in shelters longer than they wish. Shelters can be very scary places, especially for seniors who are alone and feel vulnerable.

In AZ during monsoon season we can have roadways flood, we have a law called the stupid motorist law which allows the first responders to fine a driver that stupidly tried crossing and got stuck or washed away and required rescue..they are then financially responsible for the cost of their rescue.

Seems fair, it's discretion based so if you have a good excuse or whatever you may not have to pay.

I was about to post the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter