Cirque du Soleil ?

Frankie Nova

Mouseketeer
With cirque du soleil closing December of 2017 has anyone heard rumors to what will be replacing it?

Some rumors suggest a traveling show will move into parking lot while work is done renovate the theater. That’s all that’s really been said.

Disney’s just HAVE to put Broadway shows in there like Lion king. Be crazy not to

I'll disagree. First, adding a permanent version of "The Lion King" at Disney Springs would eat up some of the profits of the New York and touring company. Second, in order for the production to make money, the ticket prices would need to be quite high. The price tag for a Disney World vacation already produces gasps for many people. It would be a Herculean task to find 12,000 Disney guests every week willing to pay $100+ extra to see a show when all four theme parks have "free" nightly entertainment.

(That 12,000 figure is based on a 1,500 seat theatre with the traditional 8 shows per week of Broadway productions.)

Finally, you have to factor in the cost of a new theatre. The Cirque du Soleil theatre has a thrust stage where the audience surrounds the stage on three sides. All of Disney's Broadway shows use a traditional proscenium where all seats directly face the stage. The current theatre can not be adapted to a proscenium without losing a ton of seating capacity. So, they'd either have to build a brand new theatre or completely change the staging of the show. Neither of those options would be cheap.

I'll disagree. First, adding a permanent version of "The Lion King" at Disney Springs would eat up some of the profits of the New York and touring company. Second, in order for the production to make money, the ticket prices would need to be quite high. The price tag for a Disney World vacation already produces gasps for many people. It would be a Herculean task to find 12,000 Disney guests every week willing to pay $100+ extra to see a show when all four theme parks have "free" nightly entertainment.

(That 12,000 figure is based on a 1,500 seat theatre with the traditional 8 shows per week of Broadway productions.)

Finally, you have to factor in the cost of a new theatre. The Cirque du Soleil theatre has a thrust stage where the audience surrounds the stage on three sides. All of Disney's Broadway shows use a traditional proscenium where all seats directly face the stage. The current theatre can not be adapted to a proscenium without losing a ton of seating capacity. So, they'd either have to build a brand new theatre or completely change the staging of the show. Neither of those options would be cheap.
I say bring another flavor of cirque du soleil in , from my understanding it is just that venue "la nouba" that is departing
I also heard a slight rumor of blue man group

Last edited:

Personally, I want a permanent Disney Broadway Theater in Disney Springs like they have at Shanghai. I really doubt that will happen though.

I'm assuming another show will take its place, but I don't think anything has been announced.

I say bring another flavor of cirque du soleil in , from my understanding it is just that venue "la nouba" that is departing

I'm a huge Cirque du Soleil fan. I'm probably a bigger Cirque fan than a Disney fan. As such, I hope Cirque stays.

As a company, the Cirque of 1998 (when La Nouba premiered) and the Cirque of today are very different. Today, Cirque du Soleil is much more comfortable working with people outside their organization. To me, that quality leads me to believe that any new Cirque show at Disney Springs would likely include direct influences/songs/characters from the Disney catalog.

If Cirque and Disney are smart, they will create a show that could also be taken on the road. Create a Cirque/Disney Extravaganza and have it at Walt Disney World for a few years. Then, adapt it for the tent and send it version on an international tour. And just replace it with brand new acts at Disney Springs.

Bring in a real circus......

article-0-0C80A47C000005DC-953_634x286.jpg

Love to see another Cirque replace it or have it as a Broadway performing hall with a multitude of performances. Not just the Lion King but they could bring Alaadin, Frozen, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and have other shows come in as well like Wicked, Rent, etc.. That would be a huge money grabber for the location and bring even more people to DS.

With that set up could also have musicians come and do tour stops. It would be WDW's version of the Hard Rock at Universal

Love to see another Cirque replace it or have it as a Broadway performing hall with a multitude of performances. Not just the Lion King but they could bring Alaadin, Frozen, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and have other shows come in as well like Wicked, Rent, etc.. That would be a huge money grabber for the location and bring even more people to DS.

The likelihood that Disney Springs becomes the home to a venue capable of hosting touring Broadway shows is slim to none. Orlando just got a brand-spanking new, publicly-funded theatre. It's the Walt Disney Theatre in the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts in Downtown Orlando. It would be politically disastrous if for-profit Disney tried to steal the touring show business from the non-profit Dr. Phillips Center just a few years after it opened.

One of my former jobs was working in Development at a non-profit theatre group. We were the venue for touring shows like those you mention. It's not a coincidence that touring shows primarily choose venues that are run as non-profits. That non-profit status helps productions legally avoid paying many types of taxes.

I can't imagine any Disney Springs theatre would be run as a non-profit. So, Disney would have a very difficult time convincing any non-Disney Theatrical productions to choose Disney Springs over the Dr Phillips Center.

With that set up could also have musicians come and do tour stops. It would be WDW's version of the Hard Rock at Universal

Having a new Cirque du Soleil show doesn't preclude Disney from using the new/renovated theatre for outside events. It would be wise for designers to consider flexibility. All the resident Cirque shows take several weeks off each year. It would be smart to have the ability to insert special events in those dead weeks.

They could use the theatre for corporate events, even if it's just during the day. Although, Disney may be planning on using the new theatre in Magic Kingdom for that scenario.

Sorry to see La Nouba go. Have seen it 3 times 1st in 2000 again in about 2009 and then this past summer. All 3 it was outstanding and there were changes to the show. I have seen about 10 different shows and they are all great and this was probably 2nd only to "O" in Vegas. BTW they do free rehearsals 2 days a week and it was a lot of fun to watch that. Sorry forget which days but it is usually from 3:30 to 4PM with a quick Q & A with a performer or 2 at the end. Of course they open the gift shop so it is a $

Well something happened and posted before I finished LOL. Anyway the rehearsal is free but they make some $ at the gift shop. If you have never seen La Nouba it is well worth the tickets. I prefer sitting up a bit not down low as a lot of the show takes place in the air.

Really hope they put another Cirque show in the venue.

I hope they are just replacing La Nouba with a new Cirque du Soleil. I loved seeing La Nouba but wouldn't go a second time. I would definitely see a new Cirque show. I love them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!