Class of 2022- High School Parents

DD19 has been home for almost three weeks. She had a good year and is excited to go back in the fall.

We left for a Disney cruise about 5 days after she got home and she spent last week taking care of various appointments. Next week she starts summer classes and has a couple of shifts scheduled at her job from last summer - she’s excited to make some money.

My house is a wreck - DD21 is also home and they both have so much stuff. I said I was just going to rent a storage unit for the summer and have them both unload there … I didn’t, but I wish I had! D21 is in an on campus apartment- it’s pretty nice and I like that we don’t have to pay rent in the summer (she has a full time seasonal job at home), but it means she has to lug so much stuff home - kitchen stuff, small appliances, cleaning supplies, etc. D19 is living in an off campus house with several girls next year and has a 12 month lease- she’s hoping they love it and she can just stay put for the next 3 years (I’m kind of hoping the same so she can just leave her crap there).

This might be the last summer we have two kids home, so I’m trying not to complain too much and just enjoy.
I refer to this phenomenon as college throwing up all over my house!

I refer to this phenomenon as college throwing up all over my house!
That describes my son’s room AND part of the living room!

He’s been home a couple weeks. He had a rough fall. He was in the wrong major for him, and his girlfriend went to another school. The spring was much better. He changed majors and joined a fraternity with his closest friend. They had already signed a lease on a house with an older fraternity brother, so it just sort of happened. I would not have necessarily chosen that he join one, but I think it’s been good. He also plans to explore student government. He was big into that in high school.

That describes my son’s room AND part of the living room!

He’s been home a couple weeks. He had a rough fall. He was in the wrong major for him, and his girlfriend went to another school. The spring was much better. He changed majors and joined a fraternity with his closest friend. They had already signed a lease on a house with an older fraternity brother, so it just sort of happened. I would not have necessarily chosen that he join one, but I think it’s been good. He also plans to explore student government. He was big into that in high school.
Yes, the living room was always the big staging spot in our house. It was always crazy the entire summer. Now my daughter is graduating and coming home to live for a couple years while she goes to grad school. I was very clear she can put it all there again, but it has to find a long term home within about a week. We've had kids in college for most of the last 12 years and I'm ready to reclaim my space!

Glad your son made the right changes. Hopefully he's on a good path now!

Mine finished exams today and will be heading home tomorrow - can’t wait to have him home. I‘ve really missed cooking for him.
He seemed to have a great freshman year- made Presidents list first semester and I’m thinking second will be the same; participated in club sports, even went to their national meet; has a nice crew of guys that he’s rooming with next year and a sweet girlfriend (we just met her this past weekend). No clue where he will be working this summer, but he’s actively looking.

This year went by so quickly! Hope you and your kiddos have a great summer!

DS19 has been home a week. We are thrilled to have him home. He enjoyed his first year and would like to find a job but is having a hard time finding a summer job at the moment.
We are headed to Disney in 3 weeks so if he doesn't get a job, he can come along!

My son has been home 2 weeks and it's been great. His room is still just piles of crap, but it's so nice to have him here.

He scored 2 jobs for the summer, one from 6a-1p 5 days a week and the other 5p-11p 3 days a week. And, he was on jury duty standby this week. So, it's been busy for him.

He had an amazing year...he went away to Iowa...about 3.5 hours from home. He made a ton of friends and met a girl...they started dating last October. He's really happy.

He hated school from K-12, so I was shocked he went to begin with, but he was offered a nice sports scholarship and took it...and did better this year than any year prior. I hope the summer goes slooooow

My daughter finished May1 and flew straight to meet a friend and travel for 7 weeks in Europe. We'll see her June 23. We plan to go to Spain for 2 weeks in July. We'll also go to Disney World in August. The summer is going to go by fast.

Hello everyone! Our daughter has been home since Tuesday. Her younger siblings are so happy and have just been smothering her with love and attention, ESPECIALLY our 5 year old that won’t stop yappin’. Lol
She had a really great first year. Declared a minor in chemistry (say what now?? Lol). She discovered she is really good at it.
She had a job at the dining hall on campus and is ready to work for the summer but isn’t having much luck finding anything. Fingers crossed she will find something soon.

Her favorite part about coming home is…… Her Friends!!! Yup. Hey, we come in at second. It was a tight race. 🙃

I cannot believe we are all done with Freshman year!

My daughter (our only child) went to school 1800 miles from home and majors in aerospace engineering. She finished each semester with a 4.0 and Dean’s List which is awesome. She studies A LOT but had time to join a sorority and has a boyfriend, who is a great kid. She came home for one week and then moved to Houston for an internship at Mission Control at the Space Center. Which was a HUGE shock that she was selected as a freshman. There was a career fair on campus in March and she went to the “meet & greet” with the recruiters the night before. Things fell into place from there. She did have to find her own apartment, renters insurance, rented furniture, etc. so a crash course in adulting. I went down to help her move from school to Houston and got her all settled in. We are missing her like crazy but the experience and connections she is gaining from doing this make it all worth it. Her new coworkers have taken her under their wings and are including her in all of their gatherings, etc. She loves what she is doing — I don’t understand what it is exactly as I am not the rocket scientist lol. She will be home on August 12, 81 more days!
I have loved reading everyone’s updates, cheers to a great sophomore year!

Hello everyone! Just checking in as we are wrapping up the summer for our daughter. We are flying out with her and helping her move in this weekend. She found a job at a local pizzeria shortly after I posted here and picked up as many shifts as possible. She ended up surpassing her summer savings account goal.

Good luck to everyone sending their kids off soon! Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Sophomore year of College!

We leave tomorrow to move my daughter in for sophomore year. She didn't have a fantastic freshman year, so hoping that this year is when she hits her stride.

She is in an apartment this year with two other girls. Last year, all three were nursing majors. This year, only she is. Hopefully everything will go well.

Last edited:
My son returned to Gainesville a little early. He’s renting a house with a couple friends and wanted to get everything set up. He also finished up two virtual summer classes, is doing some fraternity stuff, and volunteered today helping freshmen move into the dorms. I’m pretty sure he’ll pop back here before classes actually start. His freshman year wasn’t all good, but I think he’s ready for a great sophomore year!

BTW, this is his house…
67E6188B-427B-43ED-BF40-26D3B0CE0764.jpeg

Good Morning! :wave:

My DD19 left Tuesday with half her stuff. She’s spending time with her BF and teammates before classes start on Monday. My DH and I are taking the remainder of her things tomorrow and helping her move into her new dorm.

She had a great summer and we loved every minute of her being home. She’s happy to be back though - she missed everyone. She’s already practicing in the field house and meeting some new coaches that came to the program. She’s excited to get started with her sophmore year.

Good luck to everyone’s kids - I hope they have a great year :wizard:

Morning! DD, sophomore, packing up to move back to dorm life. She's excited! But apparently not excited to start packing anything before late last night.....we leave in a bout an hour, and it's ALL over the place. I needed a DIS forum break.
Weather should be great though in TN, and it's only going to be in the mid 80s, so nice break from the 90s weather we had recently. but we're all sweating this morning. At least it's only 2 hours away (well, 3 with the time zone change in East TN,)
She worked all summer at the Mall, and has transferred to the store there. But she's not bringing the car, so she and her roommate plan to work the same shifts, both hired. will see how that goes....but hopefully it'll work out, at least for working on weekends.
Best wishes to all all the kids going back to college, or if they chose a different path, best wishes there too. And good luck to the parents!!!!

Last edited:
My son returned to Gainesville a little early. He’s renting a house with a couple friends and wanted to get everything set up. He also finished up two virtual summer classes, is doing some fraternity stuff, and volunteered today helping freshmen move into the dorms. I’m pretty sure he’ll pop back here before classes actually start. His freshman year wasn’t all good, but I think he’s ready for a great sophomore year!

BTW, this is his house…
View attachment 786043
I'm by no means a Gator fan, but this is pretty awesome! Love it!

We move our kid back to Iowa next weekend. I am NOT ready. I have enjoyed his presence SO much this summer. He grew in so many ways last year and it was nice having "another adult" in the house vs having to parent him any more. He is a great person and I love seeing him go off into the world, but, ugh...my momma heart misses my little boy.

He has a full schedule, both LITERALLY with school schedule, and then he got a job this year down there, and is back on the team for a full season of traveling each weekend for meets. Plus his girlfriend moved to Missouri for school, so any free time will be spent seeing her (they met at school last year, so never had to travel to visit...this will be a new situation).

I have been way more emotional this summer than last - I knew he would come home to me last year. This year - this summer - he has already stated he is going to move to MO next summer to live with her as she finishes her program there. So, I won't "get" another summer with him, it looks like. It went too fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter