Clearwater before Disney on a budget?

Penmac

Mouseketeer
Our next Disney trip has evolved many times and we have tossed around so many different dates and scenarios. We are finally settled on late July but need a plan! We have decided to drive from the Northeast (said I would never do it again last summer lol) This decision has enabled us to add a few days on to our trip with the savings from airline travel and renting a car (we are a large family so the airline savings are substantial).

We had originally planned to hit up one of the Carolinas on the way home. But, after thinking about it more, we would really like to explore the gulf coast FL for 3 nights at the start of our trip (I have to end with Disney- can't spend my beach vacation with the Disney blues-- no thanks). I think we would like to focus on the Clearwater/St. Pete's area since (traffic aside) it's not too crazy of a drive from the Orlando area. Anything under 3 hours is good. I was looking at Tradewinds but we will be there on the weekend & rates for a larger suite are very pricey- even with no view, etc. I am so bummed because this looks like a perfect beachfront place. I just don't think we can manage a $700+ nightly rate.

I am not opposed to just booking a less expensive but larger hotel suite near the beach with free cancellation and lots of online reviews to look at. Free cancellation with my bookings is always a huge selling point for me because we are notorious for changing our minds. Even now I am thinking of throwing in the towel on this whole idea and just staying in Orlando longer, but I know my teens would love a couple days at a white sandy beach. I am going to try to come up with a workable plan that doesn't bankrupt us but also allows us to feel like we are on a nice vacation.

I think a VRBO would be the best option but I am terrified to book one. It's been a few years and I have heard so many horror stories. I also have ZERO experience with the area or neighborhoods. I think more space and beach access within a 7-10 min walk would be the best value for our money and more comfortable for all of us. I don't want to end up in a rental that's at the ends of the earth and requires us to drive to the beach/look for parking etc. I just don't know where to start. Need some advice from budget minded-people like ourselves who are familiar with the area. :-)

Any ideas? Pool access is a must. Thanks!

I had a work conference at the Sirata Beach Resort in St. Pete Beach last year that was fantastic. The rooms in the taller tower were amazing, but the rooms in two lower buildings were run down and very much a 60's Florida motel vibe. Instant beach access, a decent sized pool and quite a few areas to lounge around. There is a revolving restaurant in the building next door that had an amazing view of the sunset.

I’ve stayed beach front in the Indian Rocks area before, and it was a great location. We did it because at the time it was much cheaper than up in Clearwater.

We almost always stay in VRBO or Airbnb. I usually do a ton of research on the host, location, reviews, etc, but there is always a risk, so I get it if you aren’t comfortable.

You might also look up near Weeki Wachi. There’s a “water park” up that way, and the springs themselves are a lot of fun with a slide and natural lazy river, plus the mermaid show. You might find something cheaper up there as well.

A long time ago we stayed at the Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites in Treasure Island. It was quiet but nice beach. The current reviews and prices are decent.

More recently, we stayed on the Atlantic Coast, in Daytona Beach at the Nautilus Inn. Love it.

Beachwise, anywhere from Saint Petersburg Beach to Clearwater Beach is good. My family always stayed in that general area on our annual vacations and eventually moved within walking distance of Indian Rocks Beach.

It really depends on what you hope to get out of your beach trip. Do you want a lot of nearby restaurants and things to do? Stick close to St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island, or Clearwater Beach where it’s more touristy and built up. Do you want some quiet time to just relax in the waves and make your own meals? Look for a beach rental in one of the more residential sections, like Madeira Beach, Redington Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, or Sand Key where it’s more homes and condos than hotels.

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn St. Pete Beach this past October. It was great. Two hotels north of the Tradewinds. We also stayed at the Sirata five years ago. At that time it was fine. Nothing fancy but directly on the beach. They also seem to run a lot of specials.

Yeah, no, I refuse to do that side of the ocean. 🦈
FYI, although shark attacks in the Gulf are much less frequent, they do happen. I say this not to scare you but to ensure you don’t let your guard down just because you’re not on the Atlantic side. These are the shark attack stats for last year, and there was one for the county you are planning to visit.

IMG_2563.jpeg

Sand Key is nice, but when we had a house in Florida we loved Honeymoon Island near Dunedin - not far from Clearwater. The shelling was great and I loved walking the beach to the end (used to be a little over two miles but that changed with the tide every year it seemed). Beach area is close to where you enter the park and shelling area is farther north. There is also a boat to another island (to the left when you first enter) which we only did once in all the 22 years we were snowbirds. I was not too impressed- but it is definitely quieter. Have fun and enjoy Disney!!

Clearwater Beach is beautiful! I've read good things about St. Pete too and further south to Bradenton. BUT, we wanted to be close to Clearwater because it's an easier and faster drive to WDW. We rented an RV in Clearwater (not on the beach, but a 10 minute drive away) via Airbnb last May. If you want to be within walking distance of the beach at an affordable price for your crew, you will probably have to go a little father south toward St Pete. Check out Airbnb too. Some of their places have pretty good cancelation policies. Just make sure to stick with one with a rating of 4.7 or above and read all the the reviews. Anything lower is actually "failing" for an Airbnb property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter