cleft lip and/or palate

I have 2 kids with autism. When my son was young we started with PECs
(Picture exchange communication system). Studies have shown that kids who use PECs actually learn to talk quicker than kids who haven't used them. The nice thing about PECs is that anyone can tell what your child wants. It has a picture and the word on it, so anyone could help him. You may want to ask your speech person about PECs. HTH:)

My husband is a social worker with adults who are developmentally delayed, used to work with kids, and when I asked him about this, he's like, "oh yeah, I've seen those. Don't know why I didn't think of that before." :faint:

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Julie

GOOD NEWS!
We went and seen the team today and they decided against surgery this year-- They said there is no point, that Javens scar and nose looks wondeful (I thought that anyway!) and that there is no need for it right now!! His speech is GREAT-- right where they want him, and audiology said he is doing great aswell~~~:cool1: Overall we had a great day!! Wont have to worry about surgery untill next summer. He may need another bone graft where the cleft was in his gum, during next surgery- Did I mention it wont be untill NEXT YEAR!!:banana: :banana: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: .

I am so happy for you guys!!! The picyures of the mohawk are so cute!!
Kim

Hi guys. I just wanted to let you know that I got a call from our clinic asking us to write and call our local senators and congressman.

In the state of Florida it has been proposed to cut funding to some of the clinics. You may want to check out your states funding.

I don't understand why they want to take away funding from children with medical issues. Surely they can find other ways to cut money.

My youngest son had his team check up yeaterday! We are done with surgery! :goodvibes

We still have orthodonticts and speech.

We didn't get home until 8:30 last night. :eek:

Ds had an audiogram and they found out due to fluid in his ears, he can barely hear. So he's getting ear tubes this week. The squeezed in his surgery before dh is deployed to Afghanistan, and we're grateful for that.

Hopefully we'll see some improvement in speech.

luvsmickeymouse: Glad to hear there are no more surgeries for your son.

Julie

My DS is having a Lip Revision next tuesday - anyone ever dealt with this? It's outpatient, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Any advice? I'm sure he'll be fine, but I'm anxious and worried! This is our 4th surgery (2nd for his lip, other 2 were for his belly) and the first where he is old enough to know what's going on..... :scared:

DS before surgery
lip.jpg

and recently
lip2.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone here has a son or daughter (or yourself) that has a cleft lip and/or palate? My 4 year old son had cleft lip and palate and has had 3 baby teeth come in right in the cleft sight. Has anyone else experianced this? Also if you just need to talk about any other cl&p issues I am more than willing to discuss them with you.:thumbsup2
Thanks!
Yes, I have; however, my teeth were coming out when I was twelve. Unfortunately, both were deformed. Long story short, I have a bridge. I used to have a retainer but it was too uncomfortable

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter