CM set a bad precedent with GAC

HopperFan

"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."
Read a thread on another board that because a parent was told they could not take their stroller in The Land and they did not want to carry their baby, they actually complained enough to get a GAC. I always carried my special needs child in anyplace without stroller access until they could walk. I think this was a bad precedent to set and the individual says they go regularly and is considering getting a GAC each time.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=828716

Thanks for pointing it out.
I responded to the post (and I agree that it is setting a bad precedent).

I read that post and thought, this is why it is so difficult for those who need them to get a GAC. To have a CM send her for one just so she could go into an exhibit(?) without waking her child is senseless and insensitive to those who really need the use of a GAC.

Disney Bumfords said:
at the risk of sounding really really foolish - :rolleyes1

What's a GAC?
No, not foolish at all.
GAC is the abbreviation we use for a Guest Assistance Card. It is a tool to let CMs (Cast Members) know what sorts of accomidations are needed by people who have invisible disabilities.
The post this thread is referring to is about someone who got a GAC to bring her stroller into the Land pavilion because she did not want to take her (non-disabled) baby out of the stroller.

I may be sticking my nose in here but I have read so many threads lately that are taking a turn for the worse. I read the same thread before seeing it here and I was not under the impression that this mother was the one at fault. The cm was the one that told her that was what she needed to do. I am not trying to start a fight just making a point that I think some of what she said is being mis read. JMO. Just so you don't think that I just don't care about this issue I have a nephew who is autstic we will be traveling with in Oct and that was why I actually came over here to lurk around.

bcarson, I did state in my op that the "CM set a bad precedent". They should not have told her to do that nor should the Guest Relations have given her a pass.

That being said, the poster says she lives close by and goes several times a week. I find it difficult to believe she did not know what a GAC was. Even if perhaps she did not, all she had to do was read the card and see that it is intended for use by "Guests with Disabilities" and then do the right thing and either return it or put it away in her purse. My interpretation from her "vibrant language" and willingness to share her story on a forum that she was glad to have found a way around the rules and would possibly do it again. Others reading this forum may then think this is okay for them to do also. Abuse does make it difficult for all the folks that really need the GAC. My son has lots of issues and visits WDW regularly, but we never got the card until he was 20 and his situation changed dramatically, and it was then a necessity.

My intention was that this poster understand that what she did was wrong and for other readers to understand that what she did was wrong. I did not want her post to encourage abuse of the GAC program. And some folks gave good alternatives to transporting young ones.

I hope you have a wonderful trip with your nephew and you should get some great tips from folks here with similar issues. :earsgirl:

My interpretation was the same as the person who originally posted the link here. The CM set a bad precedent in giving her one.
That said, in my experience, the woman must have thrown one heck of a hissy fit for the CM at the attraction to even suggest a GAC and another heck of a hissy fit to get one at Guest Services (especially since she said herself in her post that she was told by by the CM that she didn't need one).
I've been around enough to know that sometimes it's difficult for people with disabilities to get a GAC.

And, as HopperFan mentions, the card says right on it that it is meant for guests with disabilities, so if the woman didn't realize that was what it was for, she would have been able to figure it out just by reading the card.

I do feel sorry for parents who come to WDW with no idea that they will not be able to bring their stroller into lines or buildings, but someone who goes to the parks frequently would have had the opportunity to see all the stroller parking lots and the people carrying babies.

you can't take a stroller into "the land"? ( this is epcot right?)

what about wheel chairs or ECV's?

( I can't figure out what is different about "the land".)

muffyn said:
you can't take a stroller into "the land"? ( this is epcot right?)

what about wheel chairs or ECV's?

( I can't figure out what is different about "the land".)
wheelchairs and ecvs can go in, but not strollers.
I think the reason is that the entry for the Land is on one level, but the main part of the pavilion is actually down one level. There is one small elevator to get down to the "main" level (along with two sets of stairs and escalators for people who can use those). If strollers were allowed in, everyone with a stroller would need to use the elevators. Already the elevators have wnough users that wheelchair/ecv users often have to wait.

muffyn, 'the land' refers to the Land Pavillion (sp?) at EPCOT - it's between the Living Seas and Journey into Imagination, in the Future World section.

I read the other post. I agree that the CM set the precedent but the OP of that thread wants to know if she needs to get one every visit! That means she intends to keep abusing the GAC. And she posts on the board so others can try to get the GAC. Isn't this how DL got in such a mess. With so many folks who did not need special access demanding it that the whole system imploded? :confused3

Should I be looking into getting a GAC for our trip in three weeks for my daughter that will be in a wheelchair due to her broken ankle?

Disney Bumfords said:
Should I be looking into getting a GAC for our trip in three weeks for my daughter that will be in a wheelchair due to her broken ankle?
Not unless she has other invisible needs. A wheelchair can go throuh most mainstream lines and if it can't the castmember will show you where to enter the ride.

Disney Bumfords said:

Generally, a wheelchair or scooter will make getting a GAC card unneccessary. Last Thanksgiving I had to use a park wheelchair for the last few days of our trip and the cast members were very quick to assist. Sometimes we were given 'handwritten' fastpasses, sometimes we were 'backdoored' into the attractions (and a few we didn't need to do anything but work our way through like PoC.) but the CMs were very aware of my condition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter