CocoCay 2019

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi group!

I have just seen the plans announced for CocoCay ...

***Castaway Who?!?!?***

I wasn't interested in going back to the Bahamas until now! The description and "maquette" look amazing!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ve-overhaul-private-island-cococay/424379002/

I think I will check the promos and book a dummy (since we don't know what our 2019 vacations will be yet).

And you? What do you think about the future CocoCay?

Last edited:
I'm a bit divided on this one. Cococay was my favorite private island because it was truly one of the most naturally beautiful "cruise owned" islands I have ever seen. That part will obviously change. That being said, the new stuff looks really cool! My kids will love it of course, but it looks like they are planning some cool stuff for adults also. I think the biggest "wait and see" at this point for me is finding out what will have a charge and what will be included. I am scheduled to stop there in August of 2018 and January of 2019 so hopefully I will see some of whatever is going on!

I'm a bit divided on this one. Cococay was my favorite private island because it was truly one of the most naturally beautiful "cruise owned" islands I have ever seen. That part will obviously change. That being said, the new stuff looks really cool! My kids will love it of course, but it looks like they are planning some cool stuff for adults also. I think the biggest "wait and see" at this point for me is finding out what will have a charge and what will be included. I am scheduled to stop there in August of 2018 and January of 2019 so hopefully I will see some of whatever is going on!

From what I understand, there will be a part of the island that will remain "untouched" and will be more quiet.

And yes, we'll see what will have a fee (the deluxe cabanas over water will definitely be expensive) and what will be included.

From what I understand, there will be a part of the island that will remain "untouched" and will be more quiet.

And yes, we'll see what will have a fee (the deluxe cabanas over water will definitely be expensive) and what will be included.

No interest in a Cabana, so at least I won't have sticker shock when that price comes out!! :scared: But I am curious about the waterpark attractions. Hopefully at least some of them are free, however, Michael Bayley did say: "A number of the new features at CocoCay, including the water park area, will come with an extra charge."

I love the swim up bar area! Hopefully Royal will continue to allow the drink package to be used on the island. And I will never balk at new food areas! I am on the Mariner in August after her drydock and I had hoped that at least the dock would be done, but I think it got pushed back to September. I don't mind tendering, but the dock will be great! Then I am back on the Mariner in January so it will be interesting to see the progress as the features get added.

No interest in a Cabana, so at least I won't have sticker shock when that price comes out!! :scared: But I am curious about the waterpark attractions. Hopefully at least some of them are free, however, Michael Bayley did say: "A number of the new features at CocoCay, including the water park area, will come with an extra charge."

I love the swim up bar area! Hopefully Royal will continue to allow the drink package to be used on the island. And I will never balk at new food areas! I am on the Mariner in August after her drydock and I had hoped that at least the dock would be done, but I think it got pushed back to September. I don't mind tendering, but the dock will be great! Then I am back on the Mariner in January so it will be interesting to see the progress as the features get added.

I don't expect the Flow Rider and the zip line to be free.

I did not know we had to tender to CocoCay but yes the dock is going to make disembarkation much more simple for sure.

Last edited:
Yay for the dock, but that is old news and (supposedly) will be ready for use later this year.

I only speak for myself, obviously, but this doesn't excite me one bit. I live 30 minutes from 2 indoor and 1 outdoor water parks. Castaway Cay is the idealized tropical island, it is quaint and has the Disney "fake-authentic" feel about it. You feel like you are on a quiet island, even though there is always water and drinks and a buffet a tram ride away. Now look at that picture of what it looks like as you walk off the dock and on to the island. Painfully bright and gaudy like any other water park in the world. There's nothing special about it to me. I'm sure it will be fun, I'm sure a lot of people are excited for it, but to me this is just hurting a great destination.

And of course there is the potential up charge. (I use "potential" loosely, I consider it a guarantee) I wonder how crowded the remaining free beaches will be. I'm willing to bet the new food areas won't all be included either.

Yay for the dock, but that is old news and (supposedly) will be ready for use later this year.

I only speak for myself, obviously, but this doesn't excite me one bit. I live 30 minutes from 2 indoor and 1 outdoor water parks. Castaway Cay is the idealized tropical island, it is quaint and has the Disney "fake-authentic" feel about it. You feel like you are on a quiet island, even though there is always water and drinks and a buffet a tram ride away. Now look at that picture of what it looks like as you walk off the dock and on to the island. Painfully bright and gaudy like any other water park in the world. There's nothing special about it to me. I'm sure it will be fun, I'm sure a lot of people are excited for it, but to me this is just hurting a great destination.

And of course there is the potential up charge. (I use "potential" loosely, I consider it a guarantee) I wonder how crowded the remaining free beaches will be. I'm willing to bet the new food areas won't all be included either.

I have to admit that I had never paid much attention to CocoCay before today because my previous bookings with RCCL (unfortunately cancelled in favor of other cruises/cruise lines) never had it on their itinerary so if it's old news, I wouldn't know. :)

Living in Canada, tropical islands, beaches and water parks are not that accessible to me. That would explain why I am much more easily impressed. :rotfl2:

Last edited:

I’m definitely excited to check this out. I can’t wait to book this. What’s the estimated opening date?

I’m definitely excited to check this out. I can’t wait to book this. What’s the estimated opening date?

It will be rolling. The first part (the dock) scheduled to open in September 2018 with the rest as it is finished. The estimated completion date is Fall of 2019.

I like the dock idea but I'm not too thrilled with the rest. I'm sure my kids would love it though. Labadee used to be DH's favorite stop back before the slide, coaster, zipline..... He hates it now, I'm guessing he'll really hate Coco Cay. LOL.

I’m... kind of ok with this. In theory, there won’t be a tonne of people using the water park, so you can maximize your slide time. And I’ve not seen empty cabanas at Labadee, so I’d guess Coco Cay is similar, so that’s an easy revenue stream.

The important thing to me, though, is that the more people that take advantage of these add-ons, the more space there is on the “free” beaches for the rest of us.

I like the dock idea but I'm not too thrilled with the rest. I'm sure my kids would love it though. Labadee used to be DH's favorite stop back before the slide, coaster, zipline..... He hates it now, I'm guessing he'll really hate Coco Cay. LOL.
I actually thought that Columbus Cove was fairly quiet and relaxed. Hopefully there’s a similar spot in Coco Cay when all is said and done.

Columbus Cove is fine, but I liked it better when all of Labadee was like that. My favorite spot used to be Barefoot Beach which is now only for suites.

My son loved Labadee with the coaster, and looking at the pics of the new Coco Cay he is very excited to go back. We have been there once before, 2016 I think? It was lovely and quiet, but he didn't like it as much as Labadee. I am happy to be able to book a 4-night Monday to Friday cruise for a reasonable price out of Port Canaveral and add on a few days before or after to get to Disney. Best of both worlds :) Personally I love a quiet beach but since kiddo is 8 I suspect we'll be going for the excitement for a few more years at least!

I am also happy to see that the ship RCL is putting in Port Canaveral for the short cruises is being updated. We haven't been on Enchantment yet, but Majesty was a bit small and lacking a few of the things kiddo likes to do.

I guess the dock means the bigger ships will be able to go to Coco Cay now too?

My son loved Labadee with the coaster, and looking at the pics of the new Coco Cay he is very excited to go back. We have been there once before, 2016 I think? It was lovely and quiet, but he didn't like it as much as Labadee. I am happy to be able to book a 4-night Monday to Friday cruise for a reasonable price out of Port Canaveral and add on a few days before or after to get to Disney. Best of both worlds :) Personally I love a quiet beach but since kiddo is 8 I suspect we'll be going for the excitement for a few more years at least!

I am also happy to see that the ship RCL is putting in Port Canaveral for the short cruises is being updated. We haven't been on Enchantment yet, but Majesty was a bit small and lacking a few of the things kiddo likes to do.

I guess the dock means the bigger ships will be able to go to Coco Cay now too?

Same here. We will most likely add some Disney or Universal to our Mon-Fri cruise. I've always liked Orlando and Port Canaveral.

We booked Mariner of the Seas for Oct 2019 for a 4 night Bahama cruise. Hoping that most of the improvements are complete by then..Looks like its going to be a blast!

We booked Mariner of the Seas for Oct 2019 for a 4 night Bahama cruise. Hoping that most of the improvements are complete by then..Looks like its going to be a blast!

Same here. I think the only part that isn't going to be completed is the Club with the cabanas "over the sea" .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter