College Program Parents Thread...

That's awesome - we are traveling down 7/29 & will be near Cocoa Beach with family & then we check in to POR on 8/2. So 5 days before would be when we arrive at Disney!!

Congratulations!!! Sounds like it was definitely worth the wait!!!
Thank you so much. She is very excited and so are we for her!!!

To answer a few questions above.

Definitely have your DD check out jobs at Universal, my friend didn't get extended past her CP last Spring and was hired at Universal within a month. She can also check on 3rd parties at Disney Springs like Splitsville. Then in 6 months apply for a random job listing on the site (if one she wants isn't listed), go in for the interview and let them know what roles you actually want. My friend loves working at Universal, however.

The new CP rule about not giving away shifts is THE WORST. For CPs and for PT. I'm glad that I finished my CPs before it happened. I get why...kind of, but I think it's a bit ridiculous. I've only heard of a handful of people not actually going to work ever. You can still give away shifts but they have to be approved my a manager and since CPs are bottom of the totem pole the days they put in for family vacations are probably already taken by PT and FT. And of course, now PT can't get those CP shifts.

Getting college credit is pretty hard for the CP, especially if the college already has prior dealings. I did merchandise and wasn't able to get credit for anything (digital tech major). Some kids from my school ended up in custodial at one point before I did the CP and the school let them get credits then learned they were "just picking up garbage" (their words, not mine) and so the school probably became a lot tougher. I personally had to remain a FT student while on my program in order to keep my scholarships for the remainder of the year so I took 4 online classes. Only 1 actually applied to my major, but it would've cost me more to lose my scholarships and I wasn't allowed to take a leave. It's not fun, but Disney does offer a time (check book at checkin) where you can pick a day and time not to be scheduled to work on classwork.

I know this is for parents but I was hoping to get some info on the baking program. Does anyone have a son or daughter that has applied or is currently in the program now? Thank you in advance.

Can you CP as a Gap year? My son is very interested in doing some kind of Gap year. Which I'm totally on board with. Gives him another year to grow up a little bit before starting college. He might just head to DW to work for a year, but I think working through a college might be the best way to go, however, if he's fresh out of high school, I'm not sure it's an option.

Can you CP as a Gap year? My son is very interested in doing some kind of Gap year. Which I'm totally on board with. Gives him another year to grow up a little bit before starting college. He might just head to DW to work for a year, but I think working through a college might be the best way to go, however, if he's fresh out of high school, I'm not sure it's an option.

From the CP requirements page:
Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes at an accredited program or institution and have completed at least one semester OR have graduated within the past six months.

They used to offer the career start program for kids right out of high school, but not sure if that is still an option. I also know friends who did the program the spring of their freshman year of college.

Ok - this is only MY OPINION - but I would never send a kid right out of high school to do the DCP. This is a job. To deal with the CRAZY hours, politics, living in an apartment with strangers (not a college dorm, with RAs) fresh out of high school is too much at one time. Personally, I think the BEST time to do the DCP is AFTER graduation, as a real "internship", or at least viewed as a "semester abroad" AFTER they have had a chance to start college and that next part of their journey. Again - only my opinion. :rolleyes:

You have your answer below, he can not do the program until he is in college already.

From the CP requirements page:
Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes at an accredited program or institution and have completed at least one semester OR have graduated within the past six months.

Ok - this is only MY OPINION - but I would never send a kid right out of high school to do the DCP. This is a job. To deal with the CRAZY hours, politics, living in an apartment with strangers (not a college dorm, with RAs) fresh out of high school is too much at one time. Personally, I think the BEST time to do the DCP is AFTER graduation, as a real "internship", or at least viewed as a "semester abroad" AFTER they have had a chance to start college and that next part of their journey. Again - only my opinion. :rolleyes:

:worship::worship:

DD did DCP for a year right after college graduation, in three positions. The bulk of the younger kids she worked with struggled. Many had no job experience and were totally unprepared for the hard work, the hours, the lack of days off, the pressure from the guests and honestly living away from home. It's much harder doing this than college life in terms of the housing, the cost of the area, maybe no transportation. I often talk to kids on the program and it makes me sad to find those who work and sleep and have not been able to adapt to a social life. It is very different.

When DD went to Disney after she thought she would work there forever, it was her dream. She learned a lot there and the time she spent gave her the chance to figure out what was really important while having some fun. While there she applied to grad school, just graduated, did three study abroad (Panama, Philippines and Cuba) and Disney was one of the very best things she has ever done.

MY OPINION - work or intern while in college and apply at the end. It's a great gap year before real life and a great way to figure out exactly what you want, even those sure often are not.

Answered above, but right now Disney is looking to hire for multiple positions so if he can find an apartment and get in for an interview, the benefits are better for PT/FT than CPs. As for the comments above, it just depends on the kid. I was 20, one of my roommates was 18 on our first programs. Best thing we ever did, made us grow up in a short amount of time, and learn how to take care of ourselves. Was my second job ever and I loved it. You'll definitely have the kids who come in and are shocked at the workload, but it's kind of a sink or swim thing and there is not really any shame in leaving, it's pretty normal actually. I moved to Orlando permanently after I graduated college and live with my friends from my 2013 CP.

Also if you apply after you graduate or your last year there is a chance you won't get into the program and will either have to continue college courses to reapply or just work PT/FT.

I did two programs, one as a sophomore in college and the other after I graduated. They were very different programs. I had lived away from home before and had worked a job so the hours and the apartment situation wasn't a huge shock. It's been 10 years since I did my first program, but I didn't find many kids that had struggles adapting. Most of the people I interacted with were having the best time. Now it could have changed since i was down there. I had friends that had cars, but mainly we used Disney transportation. My roommates were fine - not my best friends, but that was okay. You have to learn to deal with different types of people, but it was a great learning experience. One of the best things I ever did. I am still very good friends with a lot of my fellow CPs. In terms of full/part time work.

The college program is very different. The CPs all live together in Disney housing and tend to stick together. Many of the younger full time people started off as CPs so they are having that experience under their belt. I would recommend working there on the college program. Transportation is provided, housing is provided, Disney takes rent money right out of your check, so the only expenses you need to worry about is food and laundry money. It's the experience of being in the real world with a safety net. There are less crazy hours in the Spring program than fall as you are not dealing with Halloween and the Christmas holidays. Also as long as you dont work in MK, the hours are not that bad. I worked in Epcot both times and I never worked later than 9:45pm. Most of my shifts were 3 -9:30pm or 12:00pm - 9:30pm. We worked EMH at night, but most of the CPs don't want to work the morning hours anyways. I worked in attractions both times and I requested Epcot as the park I wanted to work in - just a request but I was placed there both times. Honestly, I preferred the program I did while in college as opposed to after I graduated. You won't make tons of money, but you will have a great experience. We still joke about CP withdrawals.

To answer a few questions above.

Definitely have your DD check out jobs at Universal, my friend didn't get extended past her CP last Spring and was hired at Universal within a month. She can also check on 3rd parties at Disney Springs like Splitsville. Then in 6 months apply for a random job listing on the site (if one she wants isn't listed), go in for the interview and let them know what roles you actually want. My friend loves working at Universal, however.

The new CP rule about not giving away shifts is THE WORST. For CPs and for PT. I'm glad that I finished my CPs before it happened. I get why...kind of, but I think it's a bit ridiculous. I've only heard of a handful of people not actually going to work ever. You can still give away shifts but they have to be approved my a manager and since CPs are bottom of the totem pole the days they put in for family vacations are probably already taken by PT and FT. And of course, now PT can't get those CP shifts.

Getting college credit is pretty hard for the CP, especially if the college already has prior dealings. I did merchandise and wasn't able to get credit for anything (digital tech major). Some kids from my school ended up in custodial at one point before I did the CP and the school let them get credits then learned they were "just picking up garbage" (their words, not mine) and so the school probably became a lot tougher. I personally had to remain a FT student while on my program in order to keep my scholarships for the remainder of the year so I took 4 online classes. Only 1 actually applied to my major, but it would've cost me more to lose my scholarships and I wasn't allowed to take a leave. It's not fun, but Disney does offer a time (check book at checkin) where you can pick a day and time not to be scheduled to work on classwork.
Quick update.....dd finally applied to US/IoA...around Memorial Day! Too bad she didn't do it sooner, she would have been working sooner. But, water under the bridge. She applied and was offered a job, on the spot. She is working the Jimmy Fallon Race through New York attraction. She had orientation for three days, but they were really spread out. Then she had actual on the attraction training for a few days. She earned her 'peacock feathers' on June 29. And started actual work over the weekend...got to work over the 4th, that must have been interesting. She seems to like it. Her boyfriend is at Shrek....started working about two weeks before she did. Said he's never applying to Disney again since he loves it at US so much!!! Dd will be applying to Disney again though. Just have to figure out when her six month date is. Six months from the end of her program (May 11) or when she tried to apply in late March, and was denied. She did apply to some 3rd parties in DS but nothing came of it.

OK, I'm very confused now after reading some posts. On the DCP website it says your school can give you either recognition or credit for your program. Recognition meaning they won't take you off the enrollment. My daughter goes to a large university and we can't seem to get much information or confirmation on anything. Since insurance is not an issue currently and I just assumed she wouldn't get her reward second semester since she won't be there if she gets into the spring program, my concern comes to is she considered a student anymore or not? She also wanted to do a summer abroad program for four weeks and it requires they are currently enrolled in a university. This is very confusing...

OK, I'm very confused now after reading some posts. On the DCP website it says your school can give you either recognition or credit for your program. Recognition meaning they won't take you off the enrollment. My daughter goes to a large university and we can't seem to get much information or confirmation on anything. Since insurance is not an issue currently and I just assumed she wouldn't get her reward second semester since she won't be there if she gets into the spring program, my concern comes to is she considered a student anymore or not? She also wanted to do a summer abroad program for four weeks and it requires they are currently enrolled in a university. This is very confusing...
I believe that, sadly, it's up to each school to decide on the policy regarding DCP. When my dd was in the process of looking at colleges, only one school supported DCP! All the other schools looked at it as time away from school. I doubt that any schools will give true 'credit' for DCP, unless the student is taking classes that apply to their college work.
Your dd will be better off speaking directly to the school, to see what their policy is. But, I do know of many kids that did DCP, who had student loans start coming due because they were out of school for six months!!! Even though they were still 'in college'.

I believe that, sadly, it's up to each school to decide on the policy regarding DCP. When my dd was in the process of looking at colleges, only one school supported DCP! All the other schools looked at it as time away from school. I doubt that any schools will give true 'credit' for DCP, unless the student is taking classes that apply to their college work.
Your dd will be better off speaking directly to the school, to see what their policy is. But, I do know of many kids that did DCP, who had student loans start coming due because they were out of school for six months!!! Even though they were still 'in college'.

YIKES! I remember you from the DVC boards years ago. I'm gonna send you a PM. Thanks for the heads up!

ETA - Is there no way to send PMs on here anymore?

It looks like her school has a recognition program for internships where she has to pay one credit for a zero credit "course" that goes onto her transcript. I'm assuming this keeps her enrolled in the university, but not sure how that impacts her financial aid since it's obviously not full time. So many things to look into...

Last edited:
Before making any serious decisions one way or another, it would help to talk to an advisor at the school in person! When I did my program, I got 6 credits–3 for taking one of the classes available there, and 3 for the program itself. This is because my school decided to count the DCP as an internship. I had to recruit a sponsor professor to assign me journal entries and a midterm paper and final paper, and keep in contact with me via Skype/phone throughout the semester. If your daughter's school gives credit for internships (as most do), they may give credit for the DCP. And if not, it's worth showing an advisor the list of classes available through the program, because some of these classes might count as electives, and some classes might even count as "equivalents" for classes at her school (I took a Communications course through the DCP that my school considered equivalent to a course required for my major).

I know some people who were able to actually remain full-time students (you need 12+ credits) by receiving credit for the program, taking a class or two on campus, and taking an online course through their college back home...this kept their financial aid completely intact, but was a major time commitment, so I'm not sure I would recommend it. Since I received 6 credits for my DCP, my school considered me to still be in attendance, but only as a part-time student–and so I paid tuition per credit that semester. I received no federal aid for that semester, and didn't have my scholarships either. It's a lot of money (especially if your daughter's school is private), and I did end up needing help from a parent to cover the balance.

This is probably coming out a lot more complicated than I meant it to, but ultimately...your daughter will still be considered a student at the school if she is earning credits for the program itself. If your daughter's school would award credits for DCP classes (not the program, but specific classes on campus), she could definitely take those and have the credits transferred back to her school while still being "on break" from school (and not paying tuition). If you don't want to pay part-time tuition, taking a "hiatus" might make the most sense in the long-run, and (like I mentioned) she could still get some credits out of the experience if her school accepts some DCP classes.

And if she does take the hiatus, your financial aid will usually be "stalled" and return to normal when you return to school the next semester. Once I returned from my DCP and went back to being a full-time student again, all my scholarships, financial aid and federal loans were reinstated (but I would ask, just to be sure).

Before making any serious decisions one way or another, it would help to talk to an advisor at the school in person! When I did my program, I got 6 credits–3 for taking one of the classes available there, and 3 for the program itself. This is because my school decided to count the DCP as an internship. I had to recruit a sponsor professor to assign me journal entries and a midterm paper and final paper, and keep in contact with me via Skype/phone throughout the semester. If your daughter's school gives credit for internships (as most do), they may give credit for the DCP. And if not, it's worth showing an advisor the list of classes available through the program, because some of these classes might count as electives, and some classes might even count as "equivalents" for classes at her school (I took a Communications course through the DCP that my school considered equivalent to a course required for my major).

I know some people who were able to actually remain full-time students (you need 12+ credits) by receiving credit for the program, taking a class or two on campus, and taking an online course through their college back home...this kept their financial aid completely intact, but was a major time commitment, so I'm not sure I would recommend it. Since I received 6 credits for my DCP, my school considered me to still be in attendance, but only as a part-time student–and so I paid tuition per credit that semester. I received no federal aid for that semester, and didn't have my scholarships either. It's a lot of money (especially if your daughter's school is private), and I did end up needing help from a parent to cover the balance.

This is probably coming out a lot more complicated than I meant it to, but ultimately...your daughter will still be considered a student at the school if she is earning credits for the program itself. If your daughter's school would award credits for DCP classes (not the program, but specific classes on campus), she could definitely take those and have the credits transferred back to her school while still being "on break" from school (and not paying tuition). If you don't want to pay part-time tuition, taking a "hiatus" might make the most sense in the long-run, and (like I mentioned) she could still get some credits out of the experience if her school accepts some DCP classes.

And if she does take the hiatus, your financial aid will usually be "stalled" and return to normal when you return to school the next semester. Once I returned from my DCP and went back to being a full-time student again, all my scholarships, financial aid and federal loans were reinstated (but I would ask, just to be sure).

Thank you, that was very helpful. I looked online and it says student loan payments will start being due if you are out for six months. This is what is concerning me now. If she does the spring program and doesn't go back to school until fall semester that will put her around six to seven months! I'm thinking she might can take a class there and one online course and that will put her at six hours, or part time. That should keep the student loan payments from coming in, but I don't think that qualifies her for any aid.

I asked her if she wanted to wait until after she graduates and she was like NO! That would only give me one shot to apply. LOL

I sent an email to admissions and she's planning on going to the career center as soon as she gets back on campus to see if she can get any help figuring this out. I think her university will count this internship as recognition only, no credits.

Thanks again!

I sent an email to admissions and she's planning on going to the career center as soon as she gets back on campus to see if she can get any help figuring this out. I think her university will count this internship as recognition only, no credits
Your daughter wants to apply for a job or internship and isn't able to figure out her financial aid and make arrangements for herself? I would seriously rethink if she's ready for DCP.

I went to college part time after the first year and I had to pay on my loans, as deferment required full time enrollment. You may want to encourage your daughter to research her loans for herself, as it is her credit and finances that she'll have to clean up if she doesn't correctly defer or make payments per her loan arrangements.

Your daughter wants to apply for a job or internship and isn't able to figure out her financial aid and make arrangements for herself? I would seriously rethink if she's ready for DCP.

I went to college part time after the first year and I had to pay on my loans, as deferment required full time enrollment. You may want to encourage your daughter to research her loans for herself, as it is her credit and finances that she'll have to clean up if she doesn't correctly defer or make payments per her loan arrangements.

That's a tad judgmental. I thought this was a parents thread for sharing information. I'm helping her research because I love her and we're both very excited about her applying to the program as Disney has played a huge part in our lives. I also personally know the person I emailed for guidance on who she needs to contact once getting back to school. That said, she's done a foreign exchange program and has traveled extensively on her own to several countries. She also has work experience. I think she's more than ready. But, thank you for your information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!