Come out, come out of Lurk-dom!

So, I asked DH when in 2021 he would like to go to DW for this 50th birthday, on his actually birthday (July)? Or around Christmas/New Year when we can spend more time there? We have two DD who will both be in high school in 2021 so we are a bit limited in our choices.

He responded happy to go anytime within 12 months of his birthday....so I thought, maybe we could go in December 2020/January 2021? (I got a bit excited at this point).

It will be interesting to hear what gets annonced at the D23 Expo in August. I am hoping there will be details of DW 50th celebrations and that might guide us on the best time to go, December 2020 or December 2021.

Hi guys. I will slowly be getting back on board in the next 12 months as I plan a [60th] birthday trip to WDW and road trip beyond in Sept-Oct ish 2020. I'll prob ask as a general question to attract more attention but anyone dropping in - in that regard need some advice - St Augustine, Savannah, Charleston - thoughts? Savannah has been on my wish list for a while (a substitute for New Orleans which won't fit this trip) but what about the other two from an Australian perspective and how long needed for an overview (rather than thorough) look? and driving sort of north from there - I want to spend at least a day on the Blue Ridge Parkway but should I schedule a day in the Great Smoky Mountains if we can? Then its up to Niagara and the Toronto-Montreal-Quebec circle and back into the US to return the car somewhere - thinking Boston as its another not been to place. One way car hire within US seems to be much the same as two airfares from A to B - so why not drive I thought! instead of hiring a car for the mostly Canadian loop. I know this misses the 50th hype at DW but that might not be a bad thing either wrt crowds - I have Avatar and Galaxy's Edge in my sights as how I want to celebrate a "biggie". In the shorter term a South Australian road trip is almost finalised for this September for DH 60th.

Hi Aussie Wendy

I am absolutely no help to you at all with your questions, but just wanted to say your trip sounds great and I will be following along to hear about your plans. :)

I'm just a bit sad about the Aussie dollar at the moment. I was tentatively hoping for a December 2020 trip, but the more the dollar goes down the more the costs go up! Althought, I do wonder if DW in 2021 will be a madhouse with the 50th celebrations and hence there will be few discounts and demand for accomodation will push prices up?

Last edited:
Hi guys. I will slowly be getting back on board in the next 12 months as I plan a [60th] birthday trip to WDW and road trip beyond in Sept-Oct ish 2020. I'll prob ask as a general question to attract more attention but anyone dropping in - in that regard need some advice - St Augustine, Savannah, Charleston - thoughts? Savannah has been on my wish list for a while (a substitute for New Orleans which won't fit this trip) but what about the other two from an Australian perspective and how long needed for an overview (rather than thorough) look? and driving sort of north from there - I want to spend at least a day on the Blue Ridge Parkway but should I schedule a day in the Great Smoky Mountains if we can? Then its up to Niagara and the Toronto-Montreal-Quebec circle and back into the US to return the car somewhere - thinking Boston as its another not been to place. One way car hire within US seems to be much the same as two airfares from A to B - so why not drive I thought! instead of hiring a car for the mostly Canadian loop. I know this misses the 50th hype at DW but that might not be a bad thing either wrt crowds - I have Avatar and Galaxy's Edge in my sights as how I want to celebrate a "biggie". In the shorter term a South Australian road trip is almost finalised for this September for DH 60th.

We have done both a day trip and a weekend trip to Charleston SC. While I loved the weekend the time that we did the day trip was just fine.
On the weekend end trip we stayed in the French quarter inn which was in the middle of the historic district. It’s a strange way to describe it but it felt very southern to me. My husband took our teens on a ghost tour while I stayed and enjoyed relaxing in the hotel. We also went on a historic carriage ride through the area that was very interesting. We then drove to a place called myrtle beach which is a beach side resort town. Kind of like a run down Gold Coast on steroids. It has the cringe factor but we love it. It also has heaps of mini golf places.
If you are going to Niagara on the Canada side if you are driving try to go to Niagara on the lake it’s about a 30 min drive. It’s a lovely beautiful place to have lunch and a walk. If you go during fall the colours are amazing. Also you may not be aware but the made of the mist closes down for winter at the end of oct beginning of nov.

We have done both a day trip and a weekend trip to Charleston SC. While I loved the weekend the time that we did the day trip was just fine.
On the weekend end trip we stayed in the French quarter inn which was in the middle of the historic district. It’s a strange way to describe it but it felt very southern to me. My husband took our teens on a ghost tour while I stayed and enjoyed relaxing in the hotel. We also went on a historic carriage ride through the area that was very interesting. We then drove to a place called myrtle beach which is a beach side resort town. Kind of like a run down Gold Coast on steroids. It has the cringe factor but we love it. It also has heaps of mini golf places.
If you are going to Niagara on the Canada side if you are driving try to go to Niagara on the lake it’s about a 30 min drive. It’s a lovely beautiful place to have lunch and a walk. If you go during fall the colours are amazing. Also you may not be aware but the made of the mist closes down for winter at the end of oct beginning of nov.

Thanks AussieNSW. Trip has been shelved for a later year. Instead have PE tix to Europe booked with JAL (great price) and thus a stopover in Tokyo so a visit to TDR instead. This will be crazy busy as it overlaps with a 4 day weekend for them but luckily not a first visit. Europe detail to be worked on, pending DD’s hols as she’s working over there. She has not seen DLP (her last castle) so that may feature and DH is keen on Iceland. I am happy with these options too so we shall see. The US trip is def only postponed though and your info is helpful.

Heeeeey! My favourite thread is back! :flower3:

Going stir crazy, but I've discovered a complete Disneyland on Minecraft (you can ride rides and everything!) o_O so I've got that going for me, which is nice...

What is everyone else up to?

Sorry, I don't frequent the boards as much as I used to, so I missed your reply!

Life is good, we're supposed to be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary at WDW in March, and I'm still holding onto hope, but at the same time trying not to get too excited. If we don't end up going I'm going to call builders and start the renovations on our house instead. I need something to plan.

Just a little rant -

I'm so sick of just "watching and waiting" to see what happens. If it wasn't for this Covid business I would be right in the midst of booking everything for our Feb/March trip and counting down the days. I'm still planning everything, but because it's all so up in the air I can't decide on anything or finalise anything. It's getting more and more likely that this trip isn't going to happen and that's heartbreaking because I've been low key planning it for 10 years.

It's obviously not that big a deal in the scheme of things, but I just hate being in limbo.

Just a little rant -

I'm so sick of just "watching and waiting" to see what happens. If it wasn't for this Covid business I would be right in the midst of booking everything for our Feb/March trip and counting down the days. I'm still planning everything, but because it's all so up in the air I can't decide on anything or finalise anything. It's getting more and more likely that this trip isn't going to happen and that's heartbreaking because I've been low key planning it for 10 years.

It's obviously not that big a deal in the scheme of things, but I just hate being in limbo.
Hi BecBennett

I totally agree, in fact I have been complaining about the very same thing to my work colleagues. Just pull the plug and extend the ban until Xx, so we all know where we stand. I have bookings (including tickets) for December 2020. It would be nice to know if I should be making my other arrangements, or looking to get my money back/or a credit.
Given you have been planning for all these years, you must be very frustrated ☹

Here we are again on the Horse's Birthday.

August has arrived and I'm wondering where the year went! Seems like time just went by so quickly from April to now. It's hard to remember the time before Covid.
For us Victorians, lock down continues and the numbers are not looking like they are going to come down soon. Stage 4 looms for us. :(

Hope everyone is well.

Here we are again on the Horse's Birthday.

August has arrived and I'm wondering where the year went! Seems like time just went by so quickly from April to now. It's hard to remember the time before Covid.
For us Victorians, lock down continues and the numbers are not looking like they are going to come down soon. Stage 4 looms for us. :(

Hope everyone is well.

Wishing PrincessInOz and all other Dis members in Victoria well.

Thinking of you and hope you stay safe.

Day 2 of the Victorian Covid lockdown 2.0.

Woo Hoo! I made it through another day. Today was filled with making pumpkin soup.....done by lunchtime.
Then I spent the afternoon binge watching Schitt$ Creek.

More importantly. I managed to stay home all day and stay sane and happy.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Week 3 of lockdown for us Melbournians. Based on the existing timeline, we've made it to the halfway mark.

Staying home drives most stir crazy.
Most seem to be adhering to the 8 pm curfew. But there are those that are out and about after 8 pm. Good luck to them, Personally, I wouldn't risk the $1600 fine.
It's nearly impossible to find an ergonomic chair or a decent work desk. Work From Home might be here to stay!
Face masks are now a fashion statement......providing it's in fashionable black. :P

Hope everyone is well.

princess::upsidedow

Day 2 of the Victorian Covid lockdown 2.0.

Woo Hoo! I made it through another day. Today was filled with making pumpkin soup.....done by lunchtime.
Then I spent the afternoon binge watching Schitt$ Creek.

More importantly. I managed to stay home all day and stay sane and happy.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Ooh I shortlisted Schitt$ Creek to get from the library as we are running out of Sitcoms to watch we like! So you'd recommend it? My local branch only had series 3 (or maybe 2) in stock the other day so I need to reserve season 1 which is currently out on loan - no point starting mid series.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!