Completed 3/10/20 - Maui Christmas - a TR of Our Return to Aulani and First Visit to Maui

Just found this, shamelessly bombarding your notifications!

Aloha! I'm Melinda

Hiiii Melinda!

YdclA0tl.png

Hellooooo Melinda! :love:

I am still waiting to call that future Italy trip our real honeymoon,

Yess, milk it for as long as you can!

I packed anything we planned to cook that was dry goods as well as several meals that we'd prepared in advance and anything we could freeze - tamales, lasagna, meatballs and gravy, frozen meat, frozen hot dogs, and so on. If you are thinking of this, it worked great. I packed the frozen and refrigerated items in an insulated grocery tote inside of the suitcase. The frozen stuff stayed frozen clear through til we arrived at Aulani, except for some frozen garlic bread, but who cares if that defrosts? Not us.

That's really clever, actually!

It was a nice acknowledgement of the holidays without disrupting the beautiful Hawaiian ambiance at Aulani.

I want Christmas IN MY FACE!

Wow, what would I do for a view like this now?

After hearing a positive review, I opted for the half pound angus chuck burger with fries ($20)

You do love your burgers!

When it came through, I could hardly believe our luck.

Hmmm can't remember what this is about, but I think it's the view...

Wow, I'll take this view instead. Just get me out of Missouri!!

Just stunning!

The views just keep getting better. Someday, if this darn pandemic ever ends, I hope to experience this.

So pretty, and I love that cover-up!

On December 26, we were up early again, and headed out of the room early in order to take advantage of the resort prior to having to pack up and relinquish our fabulous room.

Noooo, I'm sad there's only 2 days of Aulani!

This can't be real, surely!

I didn't actually bring out my phone or a camera, which was a decision I still regret, since just before lunch time a green sea turtle brought itself up on to the beach and was sitting in the sun so close to me I could practically touch it.

argh! But how amazing, I bet that will be a memory that stays with you!

This is like... a whole other world. Just, wow!

We absolutely loved this meal - the tacos were messy, tasty perfection with tons of great flavor and juice to drip down your arms. The sandwich likewise had a great flavor and the fish was fresh, light, and tasty. Once we finished our lunch I think we both started thinking about what we'd order "next time"!

this meal looked like absolute perfection, and like the kind of thing that locals would go to.

The bark is so freaking cool! It looks like a painting.

As we moved along, it seemed that every turn brought more waterfalls. We stopped at some and reluctantly passed up some.

That's some extreme self-control!

I didn't know there was this much green in the whole galaxy!

hehe.

The legend is that a Hawaiian princess fled here to escape her cruel husband, who brutally murdered her in one of the sea caves. Romantic huh?

Freaking men!

This is so cool! I've never really looked into what Maui has to offer, but I sure didn't expect this.

They asked why we didn't go to the Caribbean instead of Hawaii! :confused3 I didn't even know what to say!

What a weird thing to ask. Why didn't they go to the Caribbean?!

While I'm glad we visited so I could see what all the fuss was about, I would not find Kaanapali to be a "must do" in future. I guess I am more of a beach park gal than a resort area gal (everywhere except Aulani, of course) - who knew?! :rotfl:

It looks like a very basic beach. Most everything else has made my jaw drop, but not this one!

SOLD!

(one by one, until you shout 'enough I'm done!' :duck:)

When in.... Hawaii?

The meal was $130 per person or $270.84 before gratuity. It was so much more than just dinner and I think it was worth every penny. If you are a foodie or not sure about the level of cheese at a luau (yes, this had cheesy moments too, but that's part of the fun) this is probably the Polynesian dinner show for you. There were certainly kids there but it was really well suited for adults and couples, in a beautiful and convenient setting. It was SO MUCH FOOD I would really advise you to pace yourself as best as possible. This was an incredible experience and I'd give it five stars.

We did a luaua on Oahu, and we really loved it, but this is a whole different level! The variety of food is incredible. I've added it to a note in my phone of places to eat around the world, along with Three's. Now to plan a Maui trip...

So glad that I found your TR again - and that it is now finished. We enjoyed our July 2019 stay in Waikiki and Aulani so much we're now booked on the DCL Honolulu to Vancouver cruise in 2022.

I particularly appreciated your comments on Maui as I was unsure what to do on our day there - the Road to Hana or sunset at Haleakala - I'm leaning toward the latter now after reading your comments. We are blessed to have many waterfalls in Scotland and have also visited Costa Rica and agree that you can become waterfalled out. Haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!