Concerns about cruising at all until COVID19 vaccine exists

FireflyTrance

DIS Veteran
I am wondering if anyone else has decided to stop going on any cruises until there is a COVID19 vaccine around? I had been planning to book a DCL for early 2021, but now I really don't know. Even if we "flatten the curve", COVID19 will still be out there. It probably won't be gone until we have a vaccine, or so many people get it that we have herd immunity. I am guessing it will be at least a year for either of these things to happen. Cruises seem like a particularly scary breeding ground for COVID19. I feel sad about it, but I don't see how it can possibly be safe anytime in the next year. Thoughts?

Us. My mom is in a high risk group and not everyone is doing what they should to stop the spread. People's personal hygiene on cruises has always been suspect but now that they can spread a virus that could kill my mom, my kids or me I won't take the chance.

I am leaning towards the same feeling. Without a vaccine, if one person on the cruise has the virus and boards then you are potentially looking at many more on the cruise acquiring it

Me. My in-laws are vulnerable and we would have to keep away from them for a minimum of two weeks when we got back. We currently all live abroad, but frankly I would need there to be a strong and effective anti-viral treatment before we considered going back to NYC. A 42 year-old man who worked on the same floor as my FIL just died. Had he not moved here to live with us, my FIL could have been riding the same elevator as that guy, opening the same door handles. Not to be like that movie Contagion but it makes me shudder to think about it. I got a free concierge upgrade for our October sailing and I hate to let it go but health is more important.

I am wondering if anyone else has decided to stop going on any cruises until there is a COVID19 vaccine around? I had been planning to book a DCL for early 2021, but now I really don't know. Even if we "flatten the curve", COVID19 will still be out there. It probably won't be gone until we have a vaccine, or so many people get it that we have herd immunity. I am guessing it will be at least a year for either of these things to happen. Cruises seem like a particularly scary breeding ground for COVID19. I feel sad about it, but I don't see how it can possibly be safe anytime in the next year. Thoughts?

That would make a great poll.

I think we'll hold off on cruising until a vaccine is around and even flying before then makes me nervous. We have flights booked for a trip to the UK in October and I'm starting to think we might want to postpone that even if we're allowed to fly then because I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of being close to that many people!

Yes. And not just cruises for us. At this point we will likely wait to go back to crowded environments like WDW until then as well. My son is potentially high risk so we won’t take any unnecessary chances. Will also avoid flying.

I won't consider cruising until like 2022/2023 and beyond at this point.

Even if a vaccine comes online, it will taken long time for it to be readily available worldwide (think of all those crew members from various countries). In addition, I expect lots of restrictions to port access and excursions in the next 2 years, as smaller countries deal with this virus and its fallout.

True, even if a vaccine is developed, it will probably take many additional months to be widely available.

I won't consider cruising until like 2022/2023 and beyond at this point.

Even if a vaccine comes online, it will taken long time for it to be readily available worldwide (think of all those crew members from various countries). In addition, I expect lots of restrictions to port access and excursions in the next 2 years, as smaller countries deal with this virus and its fallout.

We have two cruises booked. One out of New Orleans on RCL next January and a Norwegian Fjords cruise for August 2021 on Princess (Grand Princess, the one that is docked in San Francisco Bay with Covid-19 outbreak). Thank kind of creeps me out although I'm sure will be scrubbed down long before we would sail. Will not cancel yet but not sure what we should do. I would feel much better cruising when all are required to be vaccinated before getting on the ship, but even then may not be any guarantees.

The blind faith in vaccines shown here is astonishing. Efficacy rates. Side effects. Legitimate problems that anyone who has actually read the info they are supposed to provide you with before getting it knows about.

Then again few read those inserts or research. I mean, if I told you that someone who had had the pertussis vaccine with a successful immune response to it can still get it, it will look like a mild cold, and you will go out and kiss babies and GIVE them pertussis, will you show that you don’t know how it works and say I’m wrong? Or will you agree that that is how it works (all it does is stop your body from making the toxin that causes the whoop) because you have done your research?

If I’ve already had covid and is immune to future reinfections, then I would be more open to traveling

They said at the beginning that everyone would end up getting it. I mean, that’s literally impossible, but if you’re believing what they say, then it means you’ll get it. Might have already had it. So go with that.

Natural immunity is far superior to unnatural immunity (if you even have a successful immune response to a shot, and they never do test that, do they?).

will not travel until a vaccine or treatment is ready. Just not worth the risk at this point. If I’ve already had covid and is immune to future reinfections, then I would be more open to traveling without a vaccine.

That's the thing, you very well may have already had it at this point. That's what is so crazy scary about this thing...they may have it and never ever know, and then infect 3 other people who could infect 3 other people and so on and so forth.

The blind faith in vaccines shown here is astonishing. Efficacy rates. Side effects. Legitimate problems that anyone who has actually read the info they are supposed to provide you with before getting it knows about.

Then again few read those inserts or research. I mean, if I told you that someone who had had the pertussis vaccine with a successful immune response to it can still get it, it will look like a mild cold, and you will go out and kiss babies and GIVE them pertussis, will you show that you don’t know how it works and say I’m wrong? Or will you agree that that is how it works (all it does is stop your body from making the toxin that causes the whoop) because you have done your research?

They said at the beginning that everyone would end up getting it. I mean, that’s literally impossible, but if you’re believing what they say, then it means you’ll get it. Might have already had it. So go with that.

Natural immunity is far superior to unnatural immunity (if you even have a successful immune response to a shot, and they never do test that, do they?).

Impossible, maybe. But, it's looking more and more possible by the day. I wouldn't surprised if 200 million+ people had it by the time this is all over with. That's the thing with this social distancing/flattening the curve that a lot of people don't understand. It isn't lessening the number of people who get it. They think they are trying to prevent themselves and loved ones from getting it. But, if 1000 people get it, 1000 people get it; the point of flattening the curve is to make that 1000 people spread out over time, to a) not overload health care systems and b) buy time for advances in testing and medicine. Flattening the curve doesn't make 1000 people 250 people. I wish it did.

"Everyone is going to get this disease eventually" might be hyperbole, but I think it's much closer to the truth than not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter