Considering River Cruise Summer 21-Recommendations

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We are thinking about doing a river cruise next summer. We are trying to decide between Mediterranean (Not with Disney due to cost and really being on boat much) and an ABD river cruise. We have done 1 ABD and LOVED it. We have never been to Europe. Which River cruise would you recommend between Danube or Rhine. We are not really interested in Seine right now because we would like to see multiple countries. Just looking for advice. We are family of 4 and our sons will be 17 and 19 at time of travel next summer. We would more than likely do an add on for a few days in either arrival or departure cities. We are aware of the costs associated with ABD and while it's not cheap we believe it's worth it. We just have an issue paying for Disney Cruise prices for Mediterranean.
Any advice is welcome.
Thank you.

We are on the first of the Rhone river cruise in France which ends at the South of France, with activities that would likely also appeal to your sons who will be able to travel on an adults only trip and will let you know how it is upon return. We (hopefully) leave in about 60 days and this looks like a trip that has enough activities to keep even young men tired, if they want to avail themselves. Don't rule that one out either!

We were trying to decide between the Danube and the Rhein - both have ships with connecting rooms which was important to us. Ended up picking the Danube with Budapest extension for next year. Honestly I don’t think you can do wrong either way. I picked the Danube because our family hadn’t been to any of those countries before, whereas we had done the Italy/Switzerland ABD.

I did Danube with ABD (on Amawaterways ship) and Rhine with Amawaterways. We loved both of them. What I loved about Danube is every stop was a new place to explore on our own. On the Rhine there were some times where we parked in an industrial area. I loved that with Rhine we got to experience Amsterdam.

We are on the first of the Rhone river cruise in France which ends at the South of France, with activities that would likely also appeal to your sons who will be able to travel on an adults only trip and will let you know how it is upon return. We (hopefully) leave in about 60 days and this looks like a trip that has enough activities to keep even young men tired, if they want to avail themselves. Don't rule that one out either!

Thank you. I didn't realize we could take adults only. I assume 17 years old are approved for this one?

I did Danube with ABD (on Amawaterways ship) and Rhine with Amawaterways. We loved both of them. What I loved about Danube is every stop was a new place to explore on our own. On the Rhine there were some times where we parked in an industrial area. I loved that with Rhine we got to experience Amsterdam.

Thank you. One of the reasons I like that about Rhine too. It's so hard deciding. My husband is the only one of us who has been to Europe and it was Amsterdam and he loved it. He wants to go back there.

Thank you. One of the reasons I like that about Rhine too. It's so hard deciding. My husband is the only one of us who has been to Europe and it was Amsterdam and he loved it. He wants to go back there.
That sounds like a good reason to do the Rhine. However, I will mention that Budapest was a revelation before my Danube river cruise. It is an AMAZING city! I had no idea. It has become one of my favorite European cities!

Sayhello

That sounds like a good reason to do the Rhine. However, I will mention that Budapest was a revelation before my Danube river cruise. It is an AMAZING city! I had no idea. It has become one of my favorite European cities!

Sayhello

I've heard that about Budapest. It's not one you heard spoken about too much.

We're thinking about the Rhine river cruise as well. For those who have been, is a port or starboard side cabin preferable? Would begin in Basel, ending in Amsterdam.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter