Controlling moisture outdoor kitchen with fridge

PaHunter

Reasonably Knowledgable Individual.
How does everyone keep the outside kitchen area from getting moldy, when fridge is running ? If door is up of course it gets outdoor air, but if you close it to secure it. Never had an outdoor kitchen before.

giphy.gif

Okay, it took me 2 years to get this sorted out and here is what I figured out on my own. The outdoor kitchen "sweats" because at night it cools and during the day the camper itself heats up but the outdoor kitchen, being self contained, condensates. Mine kept mold, but worse than that it actually caused the counter to warp...twice!

Solution, buy a dehumidifier and keep it running. I suggest a small one as this small area will not take much. I would also suggest one with a setting so you can set the desired humidity. I usually keep mine set at 40-45%. This completely fixed my problem. The smaller dehumidifiers typically have a collection tray that typically hold a half gallon and I have to empty it about once a month. I bought mine off of Amazon. I'll upload you a picture later tonight when I get home from work.

Some of the newer campers with outdoor kitchens have a vent to the outside to help with this but I haven't heard if it actually helps or not.

I initially tried to "moisture" bags with clay in them and they were useless.

During camping trips I don't worry about it and leave the dehumidifier at home as the repeated opening and closing of the door of the kitchen allows the temp to stabilize. When I'm at home the fridge doesn't run.

Hope this helps.

While I don't have an outdoor kitchen, my first thought was cutting a "Vent" into the kitchen area somewhere and installing a 12 volt fan. The key being to keep air moving so it helps evacuate condensation (or rather the moist air before it condenses). More work (initially) though, but less maintenance I think in the long run.

Luckily mu counter is metal, so it won't warp, but possibly rust. Like the dehumidifer idea.

You can also try damp rid. I keep it in my service truck tool boxes to keep my tools from rusting. It works wonders. Spend about $10 a month on it, but those tool boxes aren't water tights

You can also try damp rid. I keep it in my service truck tool boxes to keep my tools from rusting. It works wonders. Spend about $10 a month on it, but those tool boxes aren't water tights

That is currently what I have in the fridge and kitchen area, just as a start. So far have not seen any water in either bucket and well, it has been humid of late. Our first camping trip we did not use the outdoor fridge as it was just DW and I. It will get used when we take the nephews in Aug, and again in Sept when we head to the Fort.

Funny, but my experience is that when the fridge is running I have no moisture problems. It's only when it's sitting dormant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts