Cool Star Wars experience this evening

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I write for a music magazine in LA and was invited to attend a music awards dinner this evening. While there, I was seated close to... John Williams! He's composed all of the music for Star Wars, Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T. and countless others. He was very kind and I told him the story of how my dad took me to buy the official SW soundtrack the morning after he and my mother returned from Afghanistan many years ago.

I also bumped into Regina Spektor -- literally, on the way into dinner. I didn't recognize her at first. But we talked later and she was very kind. Pics below (but oddly no pics of Buzz Lightyear scores. Hope no one's disappointed ;-)).
IMG_5512.JPG Rob & Regina Spektor.JPG

OMG! that is amazing! I think John Williams is a genius without whom the last 40 years of blockbusters wouldn't be nearly as incredible.

OMG! that is amazing! I think John Williams is a genius without whom the last 40 years of blockbusters wouldn't be nearly as incredible.

Agreed. Spielberg was on video (as was George Lucas) to convey his congratulations. One of the stories he told was that John came to his house to watch a rough cut of Schindler's List. When he asked him to do the music, John had to think about it. He went for a walk around the grounds. When he returned, he said something along the lines of "This is a beautiful film and it deserves a composer better than me to score it." Spielberg replied "I know. But they're all dead." :-).

Last edited:

but they are all dead.......no wonder none of my screen plays have pre's...I don't have that kind of wit.....truly John and steve are geniuses!!! I live near a Harkins and next month TNCs are Raiders and American Graffiti, I had no qualms buying both nights of Graffiti but wasn't so sure about Indy, I remember all the Raider scenes, but can't recall the scoring ...so will go listen instead of watch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!