Coronavirus and DVC prices

From what I have been able to tell, with the exception of the new resorts that they are selling, DVD has only ROFRed what they need in inventory to meet sold out resort demand. If direct sales demand stays strong then so will RORF, if demand shrinks then so will ROFR.

Still don’t think Disney will buy back right now. They are losing millions of dollars and still have to pay CM salaries.

Agree, need to wait patiently for some BLT points. I dont need them in the short run, but if there is a deal i'll jump in. We are too early in the crisis and with the congressional package that went into law yesterday, I dont see near-term panic selling being a need for people. I'm in NJ / NY area, so we are ahead of the rest of the country at the moment. Just wait for everyone else to experience what we are seeing, then the prices may really start to adjust and people who need to sell will need willing buyers.

Cavet: Some scientist solves this thing with an existing treatment, in that case, this could be over soon. I'm hearing rumors out of the local hospitals that the malaria drug is truly working and have spoken to several people who have used it and they claim it helps clear the lungs within hours making breathing alot easier, within days are your back up and walking around but have fatigue like the flu, however i'm only aware of 3 or 4 people who used it. If this validates for a larger population, this could be over before the end of April because you will reduce the number of people going to the hospital and reduce the length that people who do are occupying a bed / ventilator, significantly increasing the healthcare system capacity and allowing us to remove the social distancing requirement. In that case, we can move to a hybrid normal environment, until a vaccine is available. i'll gladly pay a higher price for my BLT add on in that optimistic scenario and to not see us all go through this situation :)

Hang in there DVC neighbors, this too will pass. I believe in our country and our innovative spirit to solve this crisis.

Agree, need to wait patiently for some BLT points. I dont need them in the short run, but if there is a deal i'll jump in. We are too early in the crisis and with the congressional package that went into law yesterday, I dont see near-term panic selling being a need for people. I'm in NJ / NY area, so we are ahead of the rest of the country at the moment. Just wait for everyone else to experience what we are seeing, then the prices may really start to adjust and people who need to sell will need willing buyers.

Cavet: Some scientist solves this thing with an existing treatment, in that case, this could be over soon. I'm hearing rumors out of the local hospitals that the malaria drug is truly working and have spoken to several people who have used it and they claim it helps clear the lungs within hours making breathing alot easier, within days are your back up and walking around but have fatigue like the flu, however i'm only aware of 3 or 4 people who used it. If this validates for a larger population, this could be over before the end of April because you will reduce the number of people going to the hospital and reduce the length that people who do are occupying a bed / ventilator, significantly increasing the healthcare system capacity and allowing us to remove the social distancing requirement. In that case, we can move to a hybrid normal environment, until a vaccine is available. i'll gladly pay a higher price for my BLT add on in that optimistic scenario and to not see us all go through this situation :)

Hang in there DVC neighbors, this too will pass. I believe in our country and our innovative spirit to solve this crisis.

DH and his colleagues are hearing very favorable news about the anti-malarial medicine as well as it is being administered more and more. Let’s all hope this is the treatment they’ve been looking for. I understand it won’t work for everyone, as no drug does, but if it works for the vast majority of people, then this would be a game changer.

DH and his colleagues are hearing very favorable news about the anti-malarial medicine as well as it is being administered more and more. Let’s all hope this is the treatment they’ve been looking for. I understand it won’t work for everyone, as no drug does, but if it works for the vast majority of people, then this would be a game changer.
True!! :thumbsup2 And a glimmer of hope is definitely worth the price of admission...Lets cross our fingers! and throw in some---->pixiedust:

Is there no one from Texas on here. We are an oil and gas state and many big companies are furloughing your “ middle class” earners. If you dont think the middle class will be affected -that is just not realistic.
To that point, I just had a conversation with my wife this morning who works for a mid-size bank. While her job is still intact, 20% of her compensation is bonus based. Given that her company's stock is taking a beating in the market (they all are), it's not looking very likely that we'll get that this year. This is going to affect everybody, at every level.
Still don’t think Disney will buy back right now. They are losing millions of dollars and still have to pay CM salaries.
The most recent report I read is that paying the CMs from mid-March to the April 18 date will cost Disney one BILLION dollars. So yeah, I think they have to make some choices with their money, and buying back DVC through ROFR doesn't seem like a high priority.

Thanks so much for the past few posts, so nice to see some positive news for a change. I know it isn't conclusive but positive all the same. Keep it coming. :wizard:

🤔 I'm guessing you didn't see my post when you wrote that. Sorry about that.

DVC prices could also be affected if there is a broader reluctance on the part of people over 50 to return to crowded theme parks for vacations. Even people who can afford to hold onto their contracts might decide they just don’t want to risk their health and sell. Maybe they opt to spend more time at the lake, camping, golfing, etc. (Not saying life isn’t full of risks, just pointing out that some people might look at cruises and theme parks through a new lens now).

DVC prices could also be affected if there is a broader reluctance on the part of people over 50 to return to crowded theme parks for vacations. Even people who can afford to hold onto their contracts might decide they just don’t want to risk their health and sell. Maybe they opt to spend more time at the lake, camping, golfing, etc. (Not saying life isn’t full of risks, just pointing out that some people might look at cruises and theme parks through a new lens now).
Good point. I would say that for cruises, people will definitely look at them through a new lens and those who were already skeptical will have their fears confirmed for sure. I think that stems mostly because germs on cruise ships are a real thing. With regard to theme parks, it's not as strong of an association (although there still is one I suppose). I think people will be more willing to overlook it. While I think it will definitely have people waiting a little while longer to go back, I am interested to see if it actually pushes people to the point where they make such a drastic lifelong change as to sell their DVC.

This apparently assumes that the risk for older members continues to be high once this is over. I'm not sure that's true. Some may want to go more, especially if they are retired and can be flexible in their dates.

DH retires in about 5 years and our plan has been to spend two months at DVC during the winter. We won't sell our points and still need to buy more to accomplish this, so this may be an opportunity for us. Unless older people didn't plan well financially, Disney is truly our "second" home to many of us, going since childhood and I doubt this group will be dumping points, especially since a vaccine is a year or two away...we'll wait it out anyway. On the bright side, we'll gift points we can't use if that be the case so DS and DIL can go more often and even bring lots of friends. Don't give up on Disney - we'll all be back and what a party that will be!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter