Coronavirus discounts on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once these shutdowns end. Hopefully no later than early May. You can believe there will be discounts. I would be willing to bet there will be great deals for a couple years.
This won’t be like 2008 financial crisis. There is no bad economy. It’s just shut down right now in many areas. Once this ends. The markets and economy will soar just like it was.
vacation destinations. Disney or even Vegas will have great deals very soon.

Once these shutdowns end. Hopefully no later than early May. You can believe there will be discounts. I would be willing to bet there will be great deals for a couple years.
This won’t be like 2008 financial crisis. There is no bad economy. It’s just shut down right now in many areas. Once this ends. The markets and economy will soar just like it was.
I looked at charts which indicate it will take 1 yr to come back to what it was, and in 2 yrs will be higher. I hope you’re right that it will come back quicker, my investments are in the trash!

This is actually way better than typical free dining. You only need a minimum 2-day base ticket. Normally for free dining, you need a longer ticket than that, plus park hoppers. Depending on family size and resort category you typically stay at, it can be a great deal.
For Value or Moderate I guess it’s a good deal. I just looked at the difference at CBR for rack rate vs Sun Fun Discount. The difference is only $53 so for 2 adults you would save some. Figuring $15 each QS meal, each adult would be $30/day in meal cost. So for 2 people oop you’d pay $60/day for 2 qs meals. Marginal savings. But 4 in a room would be a good savings.
But for us, only me & 1 adult dd going it’s not making me jump for joy lol!

You can believe there will be discounts. I would be willing to bet there will be great deals for a couple years.
That's what my gut is telling me, too. I don't think WDW will be back open in May. I'm suspecting its going to be June or even later. And the Disney cruise line may NEVER recover.

Even when they reopen, with one third of the country out of work, luxury items like expensive vacations will be the first thing people take out of their budget.

My bet is by July or maybe September at the latest, I'll probably be able to price out a December vacation that'll cost half of what I paid for my last vacation in 2018.

I looked at charts which indicate it will take 1 yr to come back to what it was, and in 2 yrs will be higher. I hope you’re right that it will come back quicker, my investments are in the trash!
I hope so! Just retired, but I think I can live on my SS for now without taking anything out of my 401K.

I hope you are right. There is no bad economy today, wait another month and see what the cascade does. I work for a US Based manufacturing company with around 100k global employees. Office staff has been required to work at home a few weeks now. We already started laying off production workers (not temporary lay offs) due to suppliers not delivering and sales and orders in the tank. Our swings based on the economy usually last several years. Around 2013/2014 we laid off around 20k people - majority of them were never brought back. Our layoffs in manufacturing will almost definitely result in office/ management lay offs. Our largest population of staff resides in one of the top 2 visiting Disney states :-) My family of 4 usually visits yearly, and we skipped last year - but until later in the year I won't feel confident in keeping a job, and we won't be able to book Disney. IF discounts were steep, it might sway me.

How is it going to soar when so many people have lost their jobs and businesses have folded. What about all the thousands of airline employees that are going to be furloughed after 9/30. What about the ten of thousands of hotels that are laying off employees. What about all the restaurants that are going to go out of business. There may be great deals like there was in 2009, but that only benefits the people that still have jobs

How is it going to soar when so many people have lost their jobs and businesses have folded. What about all the thousands of airline employees that are going to be furloughed after 9/30. What about the ten of thousands of hotels that are laying off employees. What about all the restaurants that are going to go out of business. There may be great deals like there was in 2009, but that only benefits the people that still have jobs
Agreed. I think this is where the older folks may have a better handle on what's going to happen with our economy. I lived through the early 80's unemployment crisis. I lived through the early 90's downturn. The dot com bubble bursting in the early 2000's. And the most recent 2008-2009 housing meltdown. Those are my real life experiences.

Yeah, the economy comes back but it takes YEARS, not weeks or months. The saying back in 2008-2009 was, "If I walk away from my home and take the hit, my credit rating will return a heck of a lot faster than the market price of my home." And it was TRUE! Housing market prices only recently (in the past few years) started coming back to where they were before 2008. People's credit ratings were pretty much restored by 2014.

This crisis is shaping up to be much worse than the 2008-2009 crisis.

Agreed. I think this is where the older folks may have a better handle on what's going to happen with our economy. I lived through the early 80's unemployment crisis. I lived through the early 90's downturn. The dot com bubble bursting in the early 2000's. And the most recent 2008-2009 housing meltdown. Those are my real life experiences.

Yeah, the economy comes back but it takes YEARS, not weeks or months. The saying back in 2008-2009 was, "If I walk away from my home and take the hit, my credit rating will return a heck of a lot faster than the market price of my home." And it was TRUE! Housing market prices only recently (in the past few years) started coming back to where they were before 2008. People's credit ratings were pretty much restored by 2014.

This crisis is shaping up to be much worse than the 2008-2009 crisis.
I respectfully disagree. While it may feel worse than 2008-09, the big difference is that this time, the financials are FINE! The banks are fine, there is plenty of money in the system and the Feds will make sure there is an even recovery. It will take probably 18-24 months for the market to recover the 11,000 points it dropped in the last few weeks. We've already made back a few thousand points. It's gonna be rocky for awhile but in reality, this isn't a "financial" crisis, it's a health crisis that's affecting people finances. Huge difference from 2008-09. Stay healthy!

I respectfully disagree. While it may feel worse than 2008-09, the big difference is that this time, the financials are FINE! The banks are fine, there is plenty of money in the system and the Feds will make sure there is an even recovery. It will take probably 18-24 months for the market to recover the 11,000 points it dropped in the last few weeks. We've already made back a few thousand points. It's gonna be rocky for awhile but in reality, this isn't a "financial" crisis, it's a health crisis that's affecting people finances. Huge difference from 2008-09. Stay healthy!

The banks will be fine, but what about all the people who don't have jobs, or will be out for work, or the people who's small businesses are going to go under.

This is not going to be pretty.

The banks will be fine, but what about all the people who don't have jobs, or will be out for work, or the people who's small businesses are going to go under.

Thie banks may not even be that fine when people start defaulting on their loans. I think we're headed towards a major depression. A lot of these jobs and businesses are not coming back. The travel industry has been decimated. The flu in 2017-2018 killed 80k I don't even think we'll reach that number with this virus. I feel like there's a lot more to this story than just the virus. It's out of our control. All we can do is sit back and watch what happens.

Hey Pete, I'M a local and I love Disney, I will always go there, I'm very mad at China right now as many Americans are, how about having a show discussion on how Disney needs to separate itself from making there merchandise over there and bring there manufacturing back here to America or some other friendly country. For example the refillable drink mugs are made in Pennsylvania by a factory that employs many disabled and mentally challenged people.

Hey Pete, I'M a local and I love Disney, I will always go there, I'm very mad at China right now as many Americans are, how about having a show discussion on how Disney needs to separate itself from making there merchandise over there and bring there manufacturing back here to America or some other friendly country. For example the refillable drink mugs are made in Pennsylvania by a factory that employs many disabled and mentally challenged people.
You'll probably want to start a new thread about that. This one is conjecture and discussion about whether there might be Corona virus discounts at WDW.

And businesses will start defaulting on loans, people will start defaulting on mortgages because of all the lost businesses and jobs which in turn will affect banks. When something major like this happens, everything else starts to fall like dominos. The economy is too intertwined. I wish I could be more positive on the outcome of this, but I don't think it's going to be good. :(

And businesses will start defaulting on loans, people will start defaulting on mortgages because of all the lost businesses and jobs which in turn will affect banks. When something major like this happens, everything else starts to fall like dominos. The economy is too intertwined. I wish I could be more positive on the outcome of this, but I don't think it's going to be good. :(

same, I am very very worried about the economy, and i am not talking stock market.

Since this thread has gone way OT, I’m going to close it.

As a reminder, this is the Resorts board. It’s intended for discussion of Disney’s resorts. You’re welcome to discuss COVID-19’s effect on your planned resort stays, speculate about when the resorts will open, speculate about discounts.

If you want to discuss other coronavirus-related topics, such as the economy, our country’s response, other countries’ responses...that’s for the Community board. There are numerous threads on these topics currently running there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!