Coronavirus on Nile River cruise

I am supposed to leave next Saturday on an Jordan/Egypt trip with Abercrombie. What a mess!! We are actually going down the Nile on a private yacht that only holds 12 people, but the thought of getting stuck in Egypt is very scary. Not to mention, that I feel obligated to self-quarantine when I get home because I work in a very busy courthouse. In addition my mother is in memory care and they are not allowing anyone in the facility for at least two weeks if they travel out of the country. At this point my travel insurance does not cover any loss. I am contacting Abercrombie again to see if we could just postpone trip to later date.

We are on the June 2nd trip leaving the US on May 30th. We are taking the wait and see approach. Not much else to do.

Last edited:

Is the ABD Egypt portion of the cruise with M/S Tulip private or are is it shared with another group? I thought the ABD Egypt group size is about 36 and this boat passenger capacity is 112.

The name of the cruise affected was named "River" and not sure if it's the same one used by other tours called "River Tosca"?

Last edited:
Ah, man! I was afraid of something like this. After the region finally stabilized enough that ABD could offer their Egypt trip again, and it sold so exceedingly well, ABD having to cancel them again would just be so sad! :(

Sayhello

The entire cluster of cases locally in my area (I believe we are at at least 3, and possibly 4) are related to a group that returned from travel to Egypt. It is such a hard decision to make.

ETA: We are at 5 Egypt-related cases https://www.khou.com/article/news/h...gypt/285-3af9f1f4-0dff-4caf-9ec3-42b74e3a5207

We live in the same area. It’s up to 6 cases now.

Honestly, having it this close to home makes me LESS concerned about our summer travel! If it’s already in my backyard, why not continue on with our plans?

We live in the same area. It’s up to 6 cases now.

Honestly, having it this close to home makes me LESS concerned about our summer travel! If it’s already in my backyard, why not continue on with our plans?

Same (NYC here, mere blocks from Grand Central Terminal in fact lol).

I feel the same way. Except I'd hate to be in a quarantine situation like the US couple from NY who are stuck in a hotel in Costa Rica with the virus.

https://ticotimes.net/2020/03/06/up...toring-several-suspected-cases-of-coronavirus

A quarantine would stink. We are on a Nat Geo trip to Alaska that starts June 3. I’ve got pre-days in Seattle and Anchorage planned. I’m going to let things play out and see what happens. But if Nat Geo doesn’t cancel, we will go.

Up to 8 cases.

We are at the smaller of the two local airports, that is almost exclusively Southwest passengers.

For being the first Saturday of spring break for many schools in the area, the airport is surprisingly quiet. It’s not dead, but traffic is not what I would have expected

I feel the same way. Except I'd hate to be in a quarantine situation like the US couple from NY who are stuck in a hotel in Costa Rica with the virus.

https://ticotimes.net/2020/03/06/up...toring-several-suspected-cases-of-coronavirus
There’s 4 cases now in Costa Rica, seems all travel related. As of right now, we’re still going there on Saturday, I have until Wednesday to decide... I keep changing my mind about going and not going. There’s a debate in my head about pros cons when to move it if I can where to move it if not... driving me crazy.

There’s 4 cases now in Costa Rica, seems all travel related. As of right now, we’re still going there on Saturday, I have until Wednesday to decide... I keep changing my mind about going and not going. There’s a debate in my head about pros cons when to move it if I can where to move it if not... driving me crazy.
I can relate to this! I'm going crazy for my summer ABD trips and I still have a few months to decide. I will be you soon enough. Please report on your CR trip in terms of health and safety since we are going in June. For the first time I'm not even worried about details such as clothes, shoes, weather, etc. I just want to make my family and I come back healthy. I have cancel for any reason and already PIF so I am waiting last minute to cancel.

I can relate to this! I'm going crazy for my summer ABD trips and I still have a few months to decide. I will be you soon enough. Please report on your CR trip in terms of health and safety since we are going in June. For the first time I'm not even worried about details such as clothes, shoes, weather, etc. I just want to make my family and I come back healthy. I have cancel for any reason and already PIF so I am waiting last minute to cancel.
I‘Ve been trying to prepare and pack but since up until now we still might cancel (even if it means losing our airline tickets) I couldn’t organize myself. i have so much stuff to pack due to what ifs including stuff I don’t normally pack like a ton of snacks and more than usual extra clothing. I am going to make our decision by Wednesday since we have a prenight stay too that is cancellable until then.

I‘Ve been trying to prepare and pack but since up until now we still might cancel (even if it means losing our airline tickets) I couldn’t organize myself. i have so much stuff to pack due to what ifs including stuff I don’t normally pack like a ton of snacks and more than usual extra clothing. I am going to make our decision by Wednesday since we have a prenight stay too that is cancellable until then.
I have a feeling I will be checking in an extra bag with emergency supplies that I can't get through security (Lysol spray) and don't have room in my usual carry on.

I have a feeling I will be checking in an extra bag with emergency supplies that I can't get through security (Lysol spray) and don't have room in my usual carry on.
Yep, we’re bringing 2 luggages and a carry on. I usually just bring one even for longer trip. I have lots of Lysol wipes! A friend of mine is boarding a cruise today (very reluctantly because the rest of her family is gung-ho about going)! She bought 4 packs of diaper wipes sized Lysol wipes! She sold one to me so I’m happy I got it! Was all sold out in amazon by the time I went searching! Good luck to all of us who are pushing through with this I guess and may we all stay safe and healthy!

Travel - State Dept
@TravelGov
21m
U.S. citizens, especially with underlying conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. #CDC notes increased risk of #COVID19 on cruises. Many countries have implemented screening procedures, denied port entry rights to ships and prevented disembarking. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cairo, Egypt (March 9, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 100,000 reported cases worldwide.

· Here is the latest Health Alert from the Department of State regarding travel on cruise ships: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html. U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.

· The U.S. Embassy in Cairo has been informed by the Embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia that all air travelers who are arriving from or through any airports in the Arab Republic of Egypt must have a complete medical examination (PCR) confirming that they are free of the COVID-19 virus issued 24 hours before boarding a flight to any airport in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The test and exam must be done by one of the laboratories approved by the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Cairo. Please contact the Embassy of Saudi Arabia for more information and a list of the approved laboratories.

· Other countries in the region are also restricting travel for travelers originating in Egypt. Please check with your airline or travel agent for any restrictions.

· The Department of State urges travelers to use good judgment when traveling so as not to put themselves at undue risk of contracting COVID-19.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter