Could DVC suspend allowing points into RCI?

dismedvc

DIS Veteran
I have an Aug UY with a reservation starting June 8th.
If I need to cancel that reservation I currently have until June 15th to deposit those points into RCI.

Could DVC legally take that option away? Maybe @drusba knows.

Yes, I believe they can suspend that option.

Yes, I believe they can suspend that option.

Why would DVC do that though? Isn't it a poor use of DVC points in terms of value? I imagine DVC would rather want owners use points for everything else but DVC rooms, IMHO.

LAX

Why would DVC do that though? Isn't it a poor use of DVC points in terms of value? I imagine DVC would rather want owners use points for everything else but DVC rooms, IMHO.

LAX
Yes, that's true. I was only addressing the ability of DVC being able to do that.

LAX
Because banked points can't be re-banked and May and June UY points can't be currently be banked.
My Aug UY points would need to be banked by next Tuesday 3-31-20, so if I do not cancel and bank before that, they will become un-bankable
If any non-bankable points were used for a vacation that is canceled because Disney is closed, depending on how long Disney is closed, there may be no way to use them for DVC rooms before they expire.

The only option would then be to deposit them into RCI. I agree it is normally a poor use of points, but it is better than letting them expire.

Last edited:
They can.

Challenge for DVC is that when points go to RCI Disney have to release units to RCI as well. So that may become the challenge.

My first thought was the same as above: If those points go into RCI then a non-member would effectively use those points via an RCI exchange for a DVC week in the future, which would also strain the system.

However, after reading the RCI disclosure document and thinking about it further, that might not be the case. If DVC deposits a specific week at a particular property into RCI, then if I cancel our June 8th trip and deposit those Aug UY points into RCI, DVC could put a reservation for the last week of July into RCI. (RCI members would have over 45 days to claim that exchange) That would not cause an overload in DVC in the future, since the RCI exchange into DVC would be in the same UY where the banked DVC points would have had to be used.
Not sure if there are any RCI implications to DVC if that week does not get taken in an RCI exchange, especially if it is a week where Disney was closed.

Because banked points can't be re-banked and May and June UY points can't be currently be banked.
My Aug UY points would need to be banked by next Tuesday 3-31-20, so if I do not cancel and bank before that, they will become un-bankable
If any non-bankable points were used for a vacation that is canceled because Disney is closed, depending on how long Disney is closed, there may be no way to use them for DVC rooms before they expire.

The only option would then be to deposit them into RCI. I agree it is normally a poor use of points, but it is better than letting them expire.

I understand getting some value is better than no value for owners with expiring points. However, I don't see why DVD/DVC would want to discourage people from depositing into RCI, especially at times like this. In fact, by funneling DVC points towards RCI, it may actually benefit DVD/DVC in how it can handle this COVID-19 related mess. While I don't think it's fair to place the entire burden on DVD/DVC, it probable should share some of the financial hits along with other owners. Hence, the less canceled points DVD/DVC need to worry about, the better it is for them, IMHO.

Since I know nothing about RCI trade, I am not even going to comment whether it's easy/difficult to turn DVC points into actual reservations at other timeshare properties.

LAX

I understand getting some value is better than no value for owners with expiring points. However, I don't see why DVD/DVC would want to discourage people from depositing into RCI, especially at times like this. In fact, by funneling DVC points towards RCI, it may actually benefit DVD/DVC in how it can handle this COVID-19 related mess. While I don't think it's fair to place the entire burden on DVD/DVC, it probable should share some of the financial hits along with other owners. Hence, the less canceled points DVD/DVC need to worry about, the better it is for them, IMHO.

Since I know nothing about RCI trade, I am not even going to comment whether it's easy/difficult to turn DVC points into actual reservations at other timeshare properties.

LAX

It has been reported members with June UY points beyond banking window have been told to consider RCI as a way to save the points.

So, it appears they are trying to get members to do it.

LAX
You make some great points, but I think it would be more accurate to say: Hence the less expired points DVD/DVC need to worry about the better for them. (rather than the less canceled points)

I am hesitant to cancel because it would be our 2 year old grandson's first trip to Disney World. However, if we do not cancel now, but we did cancel later, either because the parks were not open or we did not think it would be medically safe, depositing into RCI would then be our only option vs. letting the points expire. I was trying to find out if DVC could legally pull that option out from under us if so may other members were also looking to deposit into RCI.

Again, your point is interesting. If the parks were to remain closed for most of March and all of April, May, June, & July, there might potentially be legal action to require DVC to reinstate August UY points that expired, since members could not use their points for more than the last 1/3 of their UY. I'm not a lawyer, and do not know if that is even a possibility. DVC might even decide to reinstate those points on their own at a future date. However, if I exchange into RCI, I would almost certainly not be eligible for that point reinstatement should it occur.

Last edited:
You make some great points, but I think it would be more accurate to say: Hence the less expired points DVD/DVC need to worry about the better for them. (rather than the less canceled points)

I am hesitant to cancel because it would be our 2 year old grandson's first trip to Disney World. However, if we do not cancel now, but we did cancel later, either because the parks were not open or we did not think it would be medically safe, depositing into RCI would then be our only option vs. letting the points expire. I was trying to find out if DVC could legally pull that option out from under us if so may other members were also looking to deposit into RCI.

Again, your point is interesting. If the parks were to remain closed for most of March and all of April, May, June, & July, there might potentially be legal action to require DVC to reinstate August UY points that expired since members could not use their points for more than the last 1/3 of their UY. I'm not a lawyer, and do not know if that is even a possibility. DVC might even decide to reinstate those points on there own at a future date. However, if I exchange into RCI, I would almost certainly not be eligible for that point reinstatement should it occur.

Disney is not taking reservations for cash bookings until June 1st so it leads me to believe they are planning resorts to be open by then.

So, I’m thinking DVC members with stays starting then will be able to go. Parks may still be closed or have modified operations, but I think it’s a clue that they aren’t planning earlier And some of us could be enjoying resort only trips!

Sandisw:
It leads me to believe they do not plan to open before June 1st at the earliest. It could very likely be later. However, I appreciate your optimisum.

Again, your point is interesting. If the parks were to remain closed for most of March and all of April, May, June, & July, there might potentially be legal action to require DVC to reinstate August UY points that expired, since members could not use their points for more than the last 1/3 of their UY. I'm not a lawyer, and do not know if that is even a possibility. DVC might even decide to reinstate those points on their own at a future date. However, if I exchange into RCI, I would almost certainly not be eligible for that point reinstatement should it occur.

I know I am nitpicking here, but it's really the cancelled points that DVD/DVC cares about. The cancelled points are being referred to expiring points tied to cancelled reservations during DVC closure (this is my own term, not any kind of official definition). If you were to cancel a reservation that is not affected by the closure and the points end up expiring, DVD/DVC won't really care (ie: expired points). Hence, DVD/DVC should encourage DVC members to actively cancel reservations that are likely to be affected and deposit them into RCI or use them otherwise, IMHO. That would help lessen the problem that DVD/DVC eventually needs to deal with.

LAX

Sandisw:
It leads me to believe they do not plan to open before June 1st at the earliest. It could very likely be later. However, I appreciate your optimisum.

Hahah. I have just had to cancel and rebook 2 trips!, If I don’t stay in Fantasyland that my June trip is a go, I’ll end up going crazy!

I know I am nitpicking here, but it's really the cancelled points that DVD/DVC cares about. The cancelled points are being referred to expiring points tied to cancelled reservations during DVC closure (this is my own term, not any kind of official definition). If you were to cancel a reservation that is not affected by the closure and the points end up expiring, DVD/DVC won't really care (ie: expired points). Hence, DVD/DVC should encourage DVC members to actively cancel reservations that are likely to be affected and deposit them into RCI or use them otherwise, IMHO. That would help lessen the problem that DVD/DVC eventually needs to deal with.

LAX
Got it. When you said cancelled points you were referring to cancellations made by Disney because the resorts were closed that result in points expiring, not cancelations made by members who decided not to travel that might result in them not being able to rebook those points before they expire. That was not obvious from your original post, but as I said previously you make some good arguments, especially now that I better understand your unofficial definition of canceled points.

I currently have banked points rented through Davids for an April reservation. Once this reservation gets canceled I doubt there will be summer availability, even if I could find the time to go or find a new renter. My UY is SEP what is the deadline for banking into RCI, what is this process like? I have never done it but I would rather stash these points than lose them for nothing.

I currently have banked points rented through Davids for an April reservation. Once this reservation gets canceled I doubt there will be summer availability, even if I could find the time to go or find a new renter. My UY is SEP what is the deadline for banking into RCI, what is this process like? I have never done it but I would rather stash these points than lose them for nothing.

45 days before the end of the UY. I would contact MS and they can help you get them deposited

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!