Could this be the WAY? MSC prevents boarding

John VN

N.Y. STYLE CHEESECAKE RULES!!!
also posted in DCL

DW and I have 2 MSC reservations and would consider cruising with their safety implementations and restrictions. BTW, the Grandiosa can cruise 5772 passengers

MSC Grandiosa, no cruise for 13 French tourists: one of them was suffering from coronavirus
The MSC Grandiosa departed tonight for Civitavecchia with about 650 passengers on board

23/08/2020

Genoa - A group of French tourists who arrived in Genoa to board the MSC Grandiosa were not allowed on board the ship. Once in Genoa on board a minibus, the thirteen French were refused boarding because one of them was found positive for the double swab, mandatory procedure before being admitted on board MSC ships. Two different sources confirm this to ShipMag. Having shared the same bus, unfortunately everyone was banned from entering the Grandiosa. As explained a week ago by MSC CEO, Gianni Onorato, "the health of passengers and crew is our first and absolute priority. The security protocol is very strict. We have introduced an insurance policy that covers expenses already incurred by passengers who test positive for the swab before, during and even after the cruise ”. This is the case of the thirteen Frenchmen rejected in Genoa. The MSC Grandiosa departed tonight for Civitavecchia with about 650 passengers on board.

©RIPRODUZIONE RISERVATA

Those insurance policies are bound to get really expensive, which I'm sure will significantly add to the price of the ticket, but yes, I bet this is some form of how things will look going forward for the next couple of years. At least until a passenger passes that test, comes on board positive, and then spreads it and people have to go back to square one when it comes to planning.

I would expect every cruise line to have similar rules, possibly different rules based on continent. I'm guessing that, at a minimum, you'll need to have a verified test result within x days before you board.

Now, I think that the double swab prior to boarding is extremely tight in terms of identifying a potential positive - being denied at that point has to be a combination gut punch/low blow/shot to the jaw - but if those are the rules, you'd best know before you go.

I can't find any news articles on this. Maybe I am just a bad googler. I found articles on the family that went off on their own were denied boarding but not the bus story?

100% they will be not allowing passengers to get off in ports if they dont have a line booked excursion - possible with the exception of private islands. This is one of the CDCs requirments to resume sailing. Hopefully, it won't last long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!