Covid 19 WBPC cruise

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not close to anti-Disney, but it's becoming clear that none of us had any business on that ship. Just yesterday I learned a passenger on our sailing has passed away, at least one other is on a ventilator, and between 8 and 12 have so far tested positive for Covid--and we all know how hard it is (and how sick you have to be) to get those tests. Our sailing of 3,000 souls now has a positive COVID rate approaching many mid-size CITIES. We were a gigantic floating petri dish, determined to wring every bit of enjoyment from the cruise-of-a-lifetime we'd scrimped and saved and anticipated for so long. Ignorant fish in a barrel.

And this is why cruises need to be banned for the time being. Prayers to you and your family, and everyone else on the ship, that you remain healthy (if you still are) and do not pass anything on.

I thought it’s mandatory to be self quarantined for 14 days after travel these days.
Yes I thought it was a requirement to self quarantine after returning from a cruise
My understanding was that anyone travelling was to self quarantine.
It’s been recommended for a few weeks. But remember the WBPC cruise embarked 3 weeks ago and a LOT has happened in that time.

Also a “recommendation” is not a full directive unless a local government is enforcing stay-at-home directives. An employer may require an employee to self-isolate (or not physically return to the workplace). Employers have more latitude with such requirements than a community. My state has a “stay home” directive but they have admitted the police are only “educating” and in most cases will have no legal ability to enforce the order because there is no crime committed by violating it (at this time).

Hindsight is 20/20, as we're all aware--and I am not interested in casting blame. HOWEVER--in light of how many of our shipmates are now struggling (or have lost their battle) for their very lives, I'd like to think there were better, more responsible ways for this situation to be handled. One specific example--how many dozens (hundreds?) of passengers naively hovered around the future cruise desk for THREE days after the discount was announced to book their NEXT cruise? I feel SO sorry for that poor guy who had all those passengers breathing all over him. Yes, the app allowed people to book a placeholder, but that didn't stop the crowd from queuing, all needing more complicated assistance. I can only hope he comes through this situation unscathed. As I hope all the rest of us manage to do.

I do not think it is appropriate to be sharing health information which was shared in a private group to a large public forum. Please respect people’s privacy.
Did I miss where someones name was mentioned?

I think it behooves all of us to find out when these kinds of things are happening so that we can make better informed decisions going forward. It's clear that the OP wouldnt have sailed if she knew then what she knows now.

Did I miss where someones name was mentioned?

I think it behooves all of us to find out when these kinds of things are happening so that we can make better informed decisions going forward. It's clear that the OP wouldnt have sailed if she knew then what she knows now.

Specific information about the health status of some passengers has been shared. Whether you think it’s information people should have is irrelevant if permission was not given to share it publicly.

I do not think it is appropriate to be sharing health information which was shared in a private group to a large public forum. Please respect people’s privacy.

I don't see a problem with it since no names were mentioned. If someone posted the names of who was sick or posted a screenshot of the FB post, that would be a violation of privacy. But sharing information without identifying individuals isn't a violation of privacy.

I believe the vast majority of my shipmates, like myself and my family, have very diligently adhered to the self-quarantine advisory. However, I will say, the atmosphere onboard the ship was one of near-jubilation--the world outside (what limited exposure we had to it) might be in crisis, but we were safe in our bubble, having dodged a bullet. I heard this a thousand times--since there were absolutely NO cases onboard, and since we'd been together 15 days, we were all safe. I never heard one word contrary to this.

I think a lot has become known, or at least confirmed what was previously only suspected, in the last few weeks. One big revelation is that people can be contagious when they are asymptomatic, and possibly are most contagious during the days just prior to showing symptoms. I believe there was speculation on this point prior to when this cruise sailed, but it's only become a widely known fact in the last few weeks. And some people still don't seem to be aware of that. Plus many, many people will have symptoms so mild they think they have a common cold, not the coronavirus. So while people on that cruise may have thought there were no cases onboard, there definitely were. If the people on this sailing had this information prior to boarding the cruise, I'd guess there would have been a lot more cancellations, and DCL might not have allowed this cruise to depart.

Yes I thought it was a requirement to self quarantine after returning from a cruise

My work imposed a 14 day self-quarantine for anyone that was on a cruise starting February 27 or later at the beginning of March. We have had mandatory working from home for over a week and highly suggested working from home for about 2 weeks. My husband has had mandatory work from home for over 2 weeks now. However, Austin is now in lock down since Tuesday, so I would have to work from home anyway. I guess some places don't feel the need yet. I would hate to be forced to go into work right now if I didn't have an essential job.

I don't see a problem with it since no names were mentioned. If someone posted the names of who was sick or posted a screenshot of the FB post, that would be a violation of privacy. But sharing information without identifying individuals isn't a violation of privacy.

I think a lot has become known, or at least confirmed what was previously only suspected, in the last few weeks. One big revelation is that people can be contagious when they are asymptomatic, and possibly are most contagious during the days just prior to showing symptoms. I believe there was speculation on this point prior to when this cruise sailed, but it's only become a widely known fact in the last few weeks. And some people still don't seem to be aware of that. Plus many, many people will have symptoms so mild they think they have a common cold, not the coronavirus. So while people on that cruise may have thought there were no cases onboard, there definitely were. If the people on this sailing had this information prior to boarding the cruise, I'd guess there would have been a lot more cancellations, and DCL might not have allowed this cruise to depart.

It was definitely well known 3 weeks ago that spread could happen before you were symptomatic BUT I think the big thing that was not known 3 weeks ago, due to lack of testing here in the US, was the extent of people who had already been exposed. It took a few weeks for people to get sick and for the extent of the problem to be truly known. So the calculus of someone traveling is quite different when there are a few hundred in the whole country who have it than when over a hundred thousand people in the country that has it and most estimates are saying due to lack of testing it is likely 10x that amount of people who are positive.

I don't think the calculus that people made 3 weeks ago was necessarily super risky given what we knew and the way authorities were reacting. That authorities knew it was going to be far worse and did not share that information with the citizens so that they could make safer and more informed decisions is nothing short of criminal.

That authorities knew it was going to be far worse and did not share that information with the citizens so that they could make safer and more informed decisions is nothing short of criminal.

Sadly many were too concerned with taking care of themselves and "friends" first. I really do hope there are some prosecutions coming but I doubt it.

Or at least share it correctly. Not all medical issues, even the very most serious, being reported are COVID related or thought to be COVID related.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not close to anti-Disney, but it's becoming clear that none of us had any business on that ship. Just yesterday I learned a passenger on our sailing has passed away, at least one other is on a ventilator, and between 8 and 12 have so far tested positive for Covid--and we all know how hard it is (and how sick you have to be) to get those tests. Our sailing of 3,000 souls now has a positive COVID rate approaching many mid-size CITIES. We were a gigantic floating petri dish, determined to wring every bit of enjoyment from the cruise-of-a-lifetime we'd scrimped and saved and anticipated for so long. Ignorant fish in a barrel.
I'm just curious, How you know the health status of passengers?Facebook group?

But you did go and the day that you embarked was a very different day than the day you disembarked. Everyday got so much worse. I'm not exactly sure what the solution was. Did you want them to turn around, would New Orleans take you back, would you rather have them tried to find another country willing to let you disembark at?

I remember March 12 (You were already on Day 6). I picked up my daughter at the bus stop and we went to see Onward. During the drive between the movies and dinner, we got the call that school was closed the next day (Friday) and a decision would be made regarding the following week. That upcoming Monday is when Disney World closed.

It has only been 16 days or 2 days longer than your cruise lasted and the world has changed so much, so quickly.

To put another timeline in...Saturday March 14 I went to work I trained someone. By that Wednesday I was telling the same trainee I was sitting 1 foot away from to go away. In fact, she was so surprised and so stubborn that I eventually said "What don't you understand? Get the **** away from me. We're not training anymore." A few days later, she was deemed non-essential along with several others and told officially to get away.

I'm just curious, How you know the health status of passengers?Facebook group?

Sorry, no, I wish it were so oblique--I'm afraid the husband of one of my tablemates has been hospitalized, and she has done a remarkable job of networking, trying to keep us all in the loop. She knows how concerned we all are that we returned home and unwittingly put our families at risk. She's been in contact with the CDC for several days.

Sorry, no, I wish it were so oblique--I'm afraid the husband of one of my tablemates has been hospitalized, and she has done a remarkable job of networking, trying to keep us all in the loop. She knows how concerned we all are that we returned home and unwittingly put our families at risk. She's been in contact with the CDC for several days.
That must be very scary for you. Hopefully, you and yours are okay. Quarantine for now. Sending good wishes your way.

Thank you, it is quite frightening. We went on what we thought was the cruise of a lifetime, but no one (at least no one with any power or control) could foresee that the entire world would change in the space of 14 days. I must admit there is also a tinge of guilt-- that we went so willingly, that we were actually concerned they might find a way to stop us at the last possible minute. So foolish were we.

Thank you, it is quite frightening. We went on what we thought was the cruise of a lifetime, but no one (at least no one with any power or control) could foresee that the entire world would change in the space of 14 days. I must admit there is also a tinge of guilt-- that we went so willingly, that we were actually concerned they might find a way to stop us at the last possible minute. So foolish were we.
But for the grace of Disney, there go I. I was supposed to be on the March 14 Fantasy. We were halfway to P.C. when the cruise was cancelled. I've thought a lot about that in that week. But at the time, our thinking was that DCL is amazing at keeping things clean and so many people were cancelling that maybe it would be a better place to ride out the Covid-curve. I look back now and realize that we were wrong. We couldn't have known that then. But I'm glad now that DCL pulled the plug on that cruise.

It was reported here that a woman was positive within two weeks after getting off of the Wonder 2/27-3/2 NOLA cruise.

And that was not reported to Disney. Them learning of the positives following the WPBC is the first they had knowledge of anyone on the Wonder testing positive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter