Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always found it odd as well, but it was explained to me that they’re considered essential because so many people deal with alcohol addiction. They don’t want people detoxing on their own and unwillingly. Marijuana dispensaries = medical since so many use it for medical purposes.
Yeah and for us in my state the old alcohol laws meant that there are tons of stand alone liquor stores. You cannot buy hard liquor in grocery stores and only as of last year could you buy beer that contained more than 3.2 ABV (limit is now 5.9 ABV at the grocery store). Temp licenses were given to allow bars and liquor stores to sell curbside. I know my local liquor store def. benefited from being open. Truth is it kept jobs around. There would have been much more unemployment claims if they couldn't stay open in some fashion and some bars did end up closing for a time because even with the alcohol curbside allowed they just couldn't make it. I actually think my local liquor store may keep doing the curbside for a while. People are utilizing it. Any time we've been inside people are wearing masks and are much more aware of their space around them far more than other places I've been to TBH.

Today is my "day" to be out to take care of the needs of my family. I was pulled over by a group of about 20 well armed men both police and military and had my ID checked, all good it was my day, but then had to exit my vehicle and allow for it to be searched by the fiscal, (public prosecutor/ district attorney best translations). Why, well as long as we are in red alert due to covid the local and national authorities have full access to power over anyone at anytime for any reason they deem is a reason.
I just want to say wow like seriously wow. Reality check for sure for me personally. Not going to lie whatsoever that would be quite scary for me to have that experience.

I've been on a military base where the vehicle had to be inspected but it was absolutely nothing like that.

That would be nearly impractical in the suburbs. It's just over 3 miles if converting. Don't get me wrong I totally understand the why behind it but in the 'burbs things are sprawled out for a reason.

I live in a suburb, approx 43,000 people in an area of about 5km square. All I have within 5km are the mall, schools, churches, sports grounds, local convenience shops and thousands of houses. When I look out my window all I see are houses in all directions.

I did a Zoom meeting with a group of boy scouts in Kansas last week to talk about Honduras for their citizens of the world patch, it was interesting to talk about the differences with a group of 12 year old boys. Do you teach High School?

I do teach high school special education students. They are on the Autism Spectrum and we are still fully remote. When I was talking about the 4th amendment I brought up that when we are in school they are searched everyday and have to go through a scanner, but when I told them about what happened to you yesterday they were outraged. They kept saying that is crazy. I love teaching them some are such concrete thinkers and others saying such deep things that you are like wow.

Alberta reported two more Covid deaths over the weekend (both in seniors care homes where the virus has snuck back and settled in) bringing our total death toll to 307 since March. All over the news yesterday this earned us the sad distinction of pushing Canada’s total over 10,000 - officially 10,001 as of yesterday. Certainly not the milestone we desired to be known for. :sad1: This is with a provincial rate only 1/10 as many deaths as Ontario and 1/20 as many as Quebec.

I live in a suburb, approx 43,000 people in an area of about 5km square. All I have within 5km are the mall, schools, churches, sports grounds, local convenience shops and thousands of houses. When I look out my window all I see are houses in all directions.
I did use the site link that you provided there's a bit more in that circle for me than I originally thought (there's 2 parks that would be in that circle, the schools would be, there is 1 church) but we don't have quite all that you have in that circle.

Many of the suburbs here are quite sprawled out so you'll find mostly homes and likely schools and the rest for non-essential stuff will just vastly depend on where one is living at. When I lived in an apartment in a particular area of my county I would have had a lot more to work with for non-essential stuff (many more restaurants, shopping district right by though it was just starting to fill in mostly only had JCPenney for a while and a Von Maur and now it has tons of stuff, movie theater, etc) but where I live now it's a lot more sparse so it would be quite a different experience between what I had at the apartment and what I have around me now.

Like I said I get why they are having that rule (some distance has to be selected if you're going to make a distance rule).

Alberta reported two more Covid deaths over the weekend (both in seniors care homes where the virus has snuck back and settled in) bringing our total death toll to 307 since March. All over the news yesterday this earned us the sad distinction of pushing Canada’s total over 10,000 - officially 10,001 as of yesterday. Certainly not the milestone we desired to be known for. :sad1: This is with a provincial rate only 1/10 as many deaths as Ontario and 1/20 as many as Quebec.
Are they concerned now at this point about a rapid increase in deaths in Alberta? Or do they think it will be more of a gradual increase and won't be near as bad as other parts of Canada?

I do teach high school special education students. They are on the Autism Spectrum and we are still fully remote. When I was talking about the 4th amendment I brought up that when we are in school they are searched everyday and have to go through a scanner, but when I told them about what happened to you yesterday they were outraged. They kept saying that is crazy. I love teaching them some are such concrete thinkers and others saying such deep things that you are like wow.
There's a few shows I've watched over time that discuss things that do and can legally happen in the U.S. (like civil forfeiture which is often an abused power and has some really crazy instances that have occurred to people). At the same time it's not the same as what is going on with the other poster's daily life as part of the country she lives in. I'm with your students in saying it's crazy what she had to go through as part of the high alert.

Are they concerned now at this point about a rapid increase in deaths in Alberta? Or do they think it will be more of a gradual increase and won't be near as bad as other parts of Canada?
There hasn't been a rapid increase; 200'ish of our fatalities here occurred from March-July in the "first wave". Like practically everywhere else, we've got daily numbers higher than they were in the beginning. Our hospitalization rates are still very modest; 126 people province-wide in hospital with 16 in of them in ICU (that is out of 4,738 total active cases). That is up some though...every number is gradually creeping up.

Yep. Very scary.
:scratchin Interesting thing about that is that here in Canada, we are under a "State of Medical Emergency" federally and many (maybe all) provinces have declared a "State of Medical Emergency" for their own jurisdictions. Even many of our cities/municipalities have made their own applicable declarations. There is a HUMONGOUSLY WIDE range of powers granted by this status; things that can be prohibited, required and or imposed by our levels of government without requiring normal parliamentary/legislative processes. Most of us have a high level of trust that our governments will not abuse or exploit us - blessedly we have no reason not to trust it. But the fact remains that we could wake up tomorrow morning under the same conditions as @MommyinHonduras , at least in theory.

People don't like it, but mostly everyone is staying in their 5km. There would be a lot of social pressure, so in a way it makes things easier. However, the rule about not having visitors in your house is not liked either. I listen to a morning radio talkshow and many people rang in and said that they would stay in the 5km but would still visit their family. Irish people have big families and most people live in the same area as their family so socializing with family is a big thing.

In rural Texas, there are many places where you're still on your own property 5km from your home. It can be difficult to make and enforce uniform restrictions over a large area.

:scratchin Interesting thing about that is that here in Canada, we are under a "State of Medical Emergency" federally and many (maybe all) provinces have declared a "State of Medical Emergency" for their own jurisdictions. Even many of our cities/municipalities have made their own applicable declarations. There is a HUMONGOUSLY WIDE range of powers granted by this status; things that can be prohibited, required and or imposed by our levels of government without requiring normal parliamentary/legislative processes. Most of us have a high level of trust that our governments will not abuse or exploit us - blessedly we have no reason not to trust it. But the fact remains that we could wake up tomorrow morning under the same conditions as @MommyinHonduras , at least in theory.

AND, our Prime Minister speaks volumns to us in calming, comforting words. Much like Biden & Obama.

Last edited:
This is so interesting to me. I am a US history teacher and today we are learning about the Bill of Rights. I might use your example for my 9th period class of places where rights are not the same as in the USA.

Not exactly the same but I'm a retired insurance underwriter. As an adult new to my job in the early 70's; I was astounded to learn (back then) in some countries drunk driving netted the death penalty.
Driving a Privilege not a Right.

Yes, France and Germany both announced their lockdowns for 4 weeks / till December 1st. Hoping they can change the tide before the holidays arrive.
We're waiting for DLP to officially announce their second closure.

The Netherlands are waiting 1 more week...

Yes, France and Germany both announced their lockdowns for 4 weeks / till December 1st. Hoping they can change the tide before the holidays arrive.

Time to buy more toilet paper.

Time to buy more toilet paper.
I don't think that was much of a problem here. During the first wave we did have some hoarding, but the issue was more that the stores were empty at 6pm (more pasta than toilet paper etc.) and that essential workers who could only shop in the evening, couldn't buy anything.

But it did bring us this hilarious gif.
It's the sign language interpreter from the first lock down speech of our PM :P this is how you say in Dutch Sign Language: No Hoarding!

Last edited:

Over on the News thread it was mentioned that it would be closing on October 30th :( but I don't know if that's been put out officially by DLP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter