Covid confusion

I'm still confused about why we had to close schools in March, but now that cases are at an all-time high in Pennsylvania we are in school? And every day I am working with children who are clearly sick with snot running down their face...during a pandemic.

The initial shutdowns were in a hope to contain the virus. To squash it out. The US did such a p*ss poor job at this that the virus is now endemic. We will always live with it to some degree like the seasonal flu or the common cold. So now you are seeing regions adapt to that new reality. What schools and businesses are trying to do now is from a point of view of "how do we live with this now that it's here to stay?". As opposed to the March point of few of "Lets stop this virus in its tracks".

And here is the best part: the nurse I spoke with asked her symptoms, asked when they started, and said that as long as she remained symptom free as of Monday (tomorrow), she’s free to stop quarantining and it was “Likely just a cold” And had been 10 days since her first symptom. :sad2:
That is the CDC guideline. 10 days from on set of symptoms, fever free for 3 days and improved symptoms equals “ recovered.” I agree that it would have been nice to know for sure but the treatment/recovery doesn’t change. As an aside I would fight them if they try to charge you for the test.

The hospital I work for screens all patients upon arrival (temp check) to outpatient offices and the hospital. But the employees aren’t screened. When we clock in and log into our computer we have to confirm we have no symptoms, haven’t tested positive or been contacted by tracers.

Office appointments are business as usual. You show up and you wait. No waiting in the car.

Visitors at the hospital is one hour a day. You can not wait with your family member during surgery. You go home and get a call when they’re done. You can visit the next day for your hour.

Covid tests done 72 hours before surgery and you are supposed to quarantine after the test. I have no idea how many actually follow that.

The initial shutdowns were in a hope to contain the virus. To squash it out. The US did such a p*ss poor job at this that the virus is now endemic. We will always live with it to some degree like the seasonal flu or the common cold. So now you are seeing regions adapt to that new reality. What schools and businesses are trying to do now is from a point of view of "how do we live with this now that it's here to stay?". As opposed to the March point of few of "Lets stop this virus in its tracks".

Lol. Yeah, the US is the reason why we have a pandemic. It didn’t start in the US, the President was accused of being racist when he shutdown the borders to China in February, and the real event that sent the world into shutdown was when Italy fell...

but yeah, it must be the US p*ss poor job.

I’m going to add catagory G...Those of us who are living our normal lives and don’t even remember there is a pandemic 95% of the time. I’m living/doing everything completely normal in life as is everyone I know around me. Suburban Midwest. Virtually everyone I know is living normally and no longer concerned about the pandemic. Occasionally someone I know tests positive, they may or may not feel sick for a few days and that’s it, it’s gone.
I'm assuming you live in an area where there are no mandatory restrictions in place? Unless one's "normal life" pre-Covid included masking in all public settings, social distancing and limitations on gathering sizes as well as not having any entertainment venues or sporting events, nobody here is living like they used to, no matter what their level of personal concern might be. :rolleyes1

Yeah, I’m sure there is an imminent outbreak in some of those states...

Literally, you could take every resident of some of those states and still not have the population of what many would consider a medium-sized city.
That's not quite accurate (medium sized city is usually under 250k) but it's also why it's incredible to see them lead in new cases per 100k. How does ND lead the nation in new cases per 100k when people are so spread out? The only answer I can come up with is people are ignoring recommendations.

Lol. Yeah, the US is the reason why we have a pandemic. It didn’t start in the US, the President was accused of being racist when he shutdown the borders to China in February, and the real event that sent the world into shutdown was when Italy fell...

but yeah, it must be the US p*ss poor job.
That is a completely inaccurate (and partisan) portrayal of what happened. The shutdown had so many holes in it that it was worthless and the accusations of racism were regarding a different travel restriction put in place around the same time (Nigeria, Myanmar, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Sudan and Tanzania).

Our data on this is closer to third world nations than first world. That's all you need to know regarding our job performance in this area.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m sure there is an imminent outbreak in some of those states...

Literally, you could take every resident of some of those states and still not have the population of what many would consider a medium-sized city.
Fully half those states are medium to high (or very high) population states.

actuallt no the initial wasn’t to contain it was to slow the spread so hospitals had time to get supplies and so everyone didn’t land in the hospital at once like what happened in Italy.

it was gonna be endemic for a long time . The world has very rarely eliminated any virus. Small pox is the only successful one. The first sars of as a worst disease but didn’t spread easily so it was easier to contain.

As an update to what I said yesterday, I am now sick. Started feeling a tickle in my throat last night, now the back of my throat/sinuses feels like it is on fire. I love my job most days but if this isn't Covid I am finding something else to do ASAP. Even if I have to live off of my second job and apply for welfare. I am done working with sick children, I am so pissed off right now.

Yes very confused.
I recently had my yearly physical. When I walked into the Doctors office wearing my mask, the same mask you see most people wearing every wear you go I was told "I had to wear their mask". When I asked what was wrong with my mask, I got a somewhat confused look and a response "our mask is CDC approved".
I am not sure if my Doctors office does not trust non approved masks or it may be a national mandate from the CDC or state health departments as a requirement to be able to start seeing people again.

I think you will see all kind of different responses and requirements to the virus depending where you live and the locations you will be visiting.

I'm assuming you live in an area where there are no mandatory restrictions in place? Unless one's "normal life" pre-Covid included masking in all public settings, social distancing and limitations on gathering sizes as well as not having any entertainment venues or sporting events, nobody here is living like they used to, no matter what their level of personal concern might be. :rolleyes1

True, there are some things going on that are different than pre-Covid, but not much that affects me. I don’t typically go to sporting events or concerts anyway. There is no mask mandate here, only some individual stores/places who require masks. I comply when I go into those places, but it’s not widespread masking. I don’t see much limits on gatherings, some restaurants have tables marked off some have all their tables open, I assume it’s up to the individual restaurant to decide much like its up to stores to decide if they require masks. Yesterday I was waking through a shopping area and some stores had signs on their doors saying masks required and some doors had signs saying no masked required. I support it being left to individual businesses to make their own decisions. Everyone seems to be having gatherings as usual, graduation parties, weddings, birthday parties, etc. I’ve been to all. A few people wear masks to them, most do not. Most of them are indoors. I’ve been to many of these gathering and don’t know a single person who has gotten Covid from them. These are all different social groups, some my side of the family, some my husbands, some my kids friends, some church friends. I have gotten together with many people and around here everyone is hugging and having normal gatherings and have been since around May/June. I’ve haven’t known of anyone personally who has had Covid. I’ve heard of a few friends of friends, they tested positive, some are sick for a few days, some never get sick at all.

At my hospital, visitor restrictions are getting more lax (longer visits, no appts, masks out of room only)... But for our patients and staff they’re getting more strict (masks in double occupancy rooms when tolerated, masks when transporting/therapies, nursing is to start wearing face shields beginning Monday...). And even that varies from hospital to hospital.

The inconsistency can be confusing!

That is the CDC guideline. 10 days from on set of symptoms, fever free for 3 days and improved symptoms equals “ recovered.” I agree that it would have been nice to know for sure but the treatment/recovery doesn’t change. As an aside I would fight them if they try to charge you for the test.

Good to know about the CDC guideline. Thank you! I put a call in to our family dr, but it was late in the day, so I did not expect to hear from him before Monday. And I do fully intend to dispute any charges for the test.

As an update to what I said yesterday, I am now sick. Started feeling a tickle in my throat last night, now the back of my throat/sinuses feels like it is on fire. I love my job most days but if this isn't Covid I am finding something else to do ASAP. Even if I have to live off of my second job and apply for welfare. I am done working with sick children, I am so pissed off right now.

I can imagine thats very stressful! Sorry that you are required to do that for your job. Our district almost went back this month and after several protests and teachers outright quitting they backed off for it to be reassessed in January.

This has probably been answered somewhere in one or more of our many Covid threads but here is my question.......

My sister's preschool assistant got sick; got tested positive for Covid and has been quite sick (not hospitalized thank goodness) but just having a miserable time at home for almost 3 and a half weeks now.........how long is she contagious with Covid???

This has probably been answered somewhere in one or more of our many Covid threads but here is my question.......

My sister's preschool assistant got sick; got tested positive for Covid and has been quite sick (not hospitalized thank goodness) but just having a miserable time at home for almost 3 and a half weeks now.........how long is she contagious with Covid???

It is answered on the CDC website
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/end-home-isolation.html

The same guidelines apply. The person you are describing has not yet seen "improved symptoms" yet, so hasn't begun the 3 days since improved symptoms count down yet. Although it should be very clear we don't know everything yet. I would personally give that person wide berth for awhile!

I think you will see all kind of different responses and requirements to the virus depending where you live and the locations you will be visiting.

This. The inconsistency within the US is insane. I live in Colorado and have visited Nevada, Utah, California, and Florida since all this began. The first time we flew I figured we’d have to buy bottled drinks just beyond TSA because I thought, for sure, the bottle refill stations near the water fountains that we typically use would be closed. Nope, open for all to use! And then in other states all fountains and refill stations are closed. In some states those Dyson hand dryers are shut down and taped off, but in others, wide open for business. Things like these examples will even vary within a state. I’m like, can we maybe collectively decide on what the standards should be? Like, oh I don’t know, using science as our guide perhaps? All I can do as an individual is consistently wear a mask when I’m around others and wash my hands.

I am of the mind that if we'd had a 30 day strict lockdown we'd be much better off now. By strict lockdown I mean most everything closed/locked down, including most stores & businesses that were deemed "essential" early on.
I disagree... by doing this you are hurting businesses and most importantly this is not where the problem is. Germany is a perfect example.. We were the envy of other countries with our covid numbers... Stores and business were open, even schools opened somewhat normal. We even had the summer holidays with a VERY small uptick in incoming cases. ( June-Beginning of August were 38.000 Covid less than 10% were from foreign travelers). Masks were implemented for all public places...

Then October hit.. numbers are skyrocketing.. you know why? Not from businesses you can close to create a lock-down. From people having family gatherings, parties or simply taking meet up with friends and family and bringing them indoors.. The weather changed.. and many were holding family events like weddings, first communios, 50th bday parties etc.... Indoor.. The rules were up to 100 people can gather both privately and in rented spaces. No masks needed. Numbers skyrockted.. I had this agruement with a family member. A few weeks ago a child within our family turned 10.. Her parents invited, grandparents, our family as aunt/uncle and cousins. 2 best friends and the other Aunt/Uncle and cousin.. We were 15 people. My BIL couldnt fathom the fact that me flying with my family alone to a vacation spot, renting an AirBNB and keeping to our selves is less risk of spreading Covid than what were were doing just then as a family.. he response " yeah but we are family and all from around here ".

What I am trying to say is that unless you have a lockdown that some how controls what peope do within their own home, its not going to work.. Closing a store is not solving the issue of house A inviting house B or C over for dinner, for drinks or to watch the game... THAT is why numbers are doing up.

Yes very confused.
I recently had my yearly physical. When I walked into the Doctors office wearing my mask, the same mask you see most people wearing every wear you go I was told "I had to wear their mask". When I asked what was wrong with my mask, I got a somewhat confused look and a response "our mask is CDC approved".
I am not sure if my Doctors office does not trust non approved masks or it may be a national mandate from the CDC or state health departments as a requirement to be able to start seeing people again.

they just want to make sure your mask is probably the 3 layer surgical one. I know for example if you fly Air France you have to wear one of these. No selfmades where many only 1 or 2 layers.. and I had some cheap surgical looking one that was only 1 layer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter