Covid confusion

I'm assuming you live in an area where there are no mandatory restrictions in place? Unless one's "normal life" pre-Covid included masking in all public settings, social distancing and limitations on gathering sizes as well as not having any entertainment venues or sporting events, nobody here is living like they used to, no matter what their level of personal concern might be. :rolleyes1
I agree that the most majority are like this... but I know people in my town.. They are older, live alone... so besides wearing a mask once in a while to go grocery shopping, they sit at home, garden, take dogs for walks.. they never vacation nor doing anything exciting like theatre, etc..their elderly neighbor are also the same. They meet fir coffee at their homes. A bubble thAt hasn’t changed in years. . so for them their boring life is still their boring life.

actuallt no the initial wasn’t to contain it was to slow the spread so hospitals had time to get supplies and so everyone didn’t land in the hospital at once like what happened in Italy.

it was gonna be endemic for a long time . The world has very rarely eliminated any virus. Small pox is the only successful one. The first sars of as a worst disease but didn’t spread easily so it was easier to contain.
In March, Dr. Birx predicted we would have about 200,000 deaths "if we do things almost perfectly".

Well, we didn't do things perfectly, so I am very surprised we aren't nearing a million deaths yet.

People need to wear their darn masks!

I don't want to shut down. I still travel. I still go to have a drink and a meal (outside). I go to the grocery store and to work. I am living a life. A good life. But with a mask.

I agree with you when you say that Covid won't be eliminated. And it seems like hospitals have their supplies now. We all just need to do our part and wear a mask (and social distance, of course).

Count me in with the confused bunch. DD started with cold-like symptoms last Saturday; congestion, headache, sore throat. I took her on Monday to be tested, as she works at our local Y with children and I did not want her to go to school or work without being tested. As of Friday we had not heard anything on her results, so I called to follow up. They’ve LOST her test. And here is the best part: the nurse I spoke with asked her symptoms, asked when they started, and said that as long as she remained symptom free as of Monday (tomorrow), she’s free to stop quarantining and it was “Likely just a cold” And had been 10 days since her first symptom. :sad2:
I’m surprised they tested her. It was too soon for a reliable result.

Last edited:
I am of the mind that if we'd had a 30 day strict lockdown we'd be much better off now. By strict lockdown I mean most everything closed/locked down, including most stores & businesses that were deemed "essential" early on.
The rest of the world is still experiencing waves of infection. . One can speculate but that’s all it really is...

This has probably been answered somewhere in one or more of our many Covid threads but here is my question.......

My sister's preschool assistant got sick; got tested positive for Covid and has been quite sick (not hospitalized thank goodness) but just having a miserable time at home for almost 3 and a half weeks now.........how long is she contagious with Covid???
My test results haven't come back yet but my doctor just told me that I will be safe to return to work after a negative covid test and 72 hours after all symptoms have resolved. This is so freaking awful I don't know what I can't imagine feeling like this for 3 1/2 weeks!

My test results haven't come back yet but my doctor just told me that I will be safe to return to work after a negative covid test and 72 hours after all symptoms have resolved. This is so freaking awful I don't know what I can't imagine feeling like this for 3 1/2 weeks!
If you test positive, I think you can go back after 10 days. You don't need a negative Covid-19 test. I imagine because some people are still testing positive after 90 days. How crazy is that?

I hope you feel better. It sounds absolutely dreadful.

If you test positive, I think you can go back after 10 days. You don't need a negative Covid-19 test. I imagine because some people are still testing positive after 90 days. How crazy is that?

I hope you feel better. It sounds absolutely dreadful.

it’s not really crazy it’s common with viruses that’s the problem is the test doesn’t know if the virus is active or inactive just that it is in your system.

it’s not really crazy it’s common with viruses that’s the problem is the test doesn’t know if the virus is active or inactive just that it is in your system.
And that's the crazy part. We just are like "Fly! Be free!" to people who still may be passing the virus to others.

And that's the crazy part. We just are like "Fly! Be free!" to people who still may be passing the virus to others.
There's a difference in the virus being in your system and you being contagious. The reason the CDC has updated over time is because of the contagion window. This is a new virus so I expect continual research being done but right now we're doing the best we can with the information and time we have. We're still researching the flu and the cold and other viruses for example.

It's not really crazy, it's common enough with other viruses we deal with.

And the consensus is changing quickly. Doesn't seem this virus is contagious after a shorter period of time than originally believed. Ten days after onset of symptoms and a day or so after no fever? Wow.. .scientific opinions are a changing at a very fast pace.

Last edited:
There's a difference in the virus being in your system and you being contagious
I know that. But what do we know about THIS particular virus. Not much.

To me it is crazy to shut down entire sectors of society because of the unknown, yet tell people they don't need to get retested and they're "good to go". All of a sudden, the experts "know".

I am fine with it because I am in a very low risk category. Frankly, I no longer fear Covid-19 personally.

But it would be awful for a 90 year old in a nursing home if an employee came back and was still contagious

I know that. But what do we know about THIS particular virus. Not much.

To me it is crazy to shut down entire sectors of society because of the unknown, yet tell people they don't need to get retested and they're "good to go". All of a sudden, the experts "know".

I am fine with it because I am in a very low risk category. Frankly, I no longer fear Covid-19 personally.

But it would be awful for a 90 year old in a nursing home if an employee came back and was still contagious
I do understand what you're saying. Tests haven't been sophisticated enough in the past with other stuff. Wouldn't it be lovely if a test could just instantly tell us if we're still contagious with the flu? Or with the cold? Or presently with with COVID-19? All on an individual level. But alas we don't.

As far as all of a sudden the experts know. I haven't heard that they "know" and I'm not sure why that needs to be in quotations. Continual research is being done, as it should be. I think it's fair criticism regarding how shutdowns, lock downs, and closing of businesses was handled. But I don't think we can necessarily have it both ways there.

And yes of course it would be awful if a person was actually contagious and didn't realize it that goes back to the tests of which is an issue outside of this virus alone.

My husband was “exposed” at work. He was told
He couldn’t go back till he got a negative test. Fine done. He called coworkers and all were told something different. One had to quarantine for 14 days. One other was fine to go back. It’s ridiculous
We had one worker who tested positive. He is home. It was determined that he was in direct contact with 7 others. They all are required to wear a face mask for 14 days.

Another worker's wife could have possibly been in contact with someone. That worker had to go home and couldn't return until 3 days after testing negative. He has to wear a mask for 14 days.

So, the ones directly in contact with a positive person stayed and just had to wear masks while another who was not in direct contact, but was in contact with someone outside of work that could possibly have been in contact (ie, not confirmed) he had to go home. I guess it would be too costly to production to send 7 maintenance guys actually in direct contact with a positive tested person home.

Not surprised. People not taking it seriously is why we're currently seeing record numbers of cases and the outbreaks are centered in the middle of the country.

View attachment 534565
So category, what are we up to, E? Those who realize it's a virus and viruses will do what viruses do, see the data that 85% of the people contracting the virus wear masks, and realize the number of cases is meaningless as more than likely we will all eventually contract the virus and looking at the death numbers realize that it is only 0.06% chance you will die, realize the chance of dying just driving to work is more than dying of Covid, thus yes, they are not taking it seriously because it is not as serious as the fear mongering leads it to be.

You have a 1 in 1490 chance to die of Covid. You have 1 in 98 chance of dying from an Opiod overdose. It is not as bad as they are instilling the fear into you. You have more of a chance of dying in a fire or drowning than you do of Covid and I think all 3 of those I've mentioned is not something I think about every waking moment.

The initial shutdowns were in a hope to contain the virus. To squash it out. The US did such a p*ss poor job at this that the virus is now endemic. We will always live with it to some degree like the seasonal flu or the common cold. So now you are seeing regions adapt to that new reality. What schools and businesses are trying to do now is from a point of view of "how do we live with this now that it's here to stay?". As opposed to the March point of few of "Lets stop this virus in its tracks".
Absolutely not the initial shutdowns were to contain the virus and squash it out. The initial shutdowns were to "flatten the curve" or to not overwhelm our medical facilities. That didn't happen. The switch to "squash it out" is merely political and the reason the main stream media continues to instill fear into everyone's thoughts.

.... looking at the death numbers realize that it is only 0.06% chance you will die, realize the chance of dying just driving to work is more than dying of Covid, thus yes, they are not taking it seriously because it is not as serious as the fear mongering leads it to be.

I think what you say is very true. But I will continue to wear a mask. I do think it helps.

But I am getting sick of the fear mongering and downright lies that hype this virus up.

Our schools did NOT go back yet. We have had 3 teen suicides in our county in the last 4 weeks. They are the ones that I know of. Why can't we go back to school? I didn't think this way in the beginning, but it is really starting to wear on people in a way that may be worse than the virus itself.

So category, what are we up to, E? Those who realize it's a virus and viruses will do what viruses do, see the data that 85% of the people contracting the virus wear masks, and realize the number of cases is meaningless as more than likely we will all eventually contract the virus and looking at the death numbers realize that it is only 0.06% chance you will die, realize the chance of dying just driving to work is more than dying of Covid, thus yes, they are not taking it seriously because it is not as serious as the fear mongering leads it to be.

You have a 1 in 1490 chance to die of Covid. You have 1 in 98 chance of dying from an Opiod overdose. It is not as bad as they are instilling the fear into you. You have more of a chance of dying in a fire or drowning than you do of Covid and I think all 3 of those I've mentioned is not something I think about every waking moment.
It is such a low chance of dying but the messaging we get still makes it feel like if you catch it, who knows what will happen to you.

I go back and forth between feeling paralyzing fear one day to “it’s overblown by the media/ pharmaceutical companies” the next. I think not really knowing for sure what is going on or what to believe about the virus is what is making this so awful for me. Add that on top of news articles saying “life will never be normal again” or “life will not be normal until 2022” and it’s getting to be too much for me. Im exhausted by it all.
Part of me wants to go back to living life a little more normally but then the thought of catching this virus and giving it to someone in my family who ends up dying is too scary for me, so I have decided to continue to stay home pretty much 24/7.

I brought these probability facts up to my in laws and their argument is at their ages the chances go up greatly (age 77 and age 83) and I couldn't argue with that.

I brought these probability facts up to my in laws and their argument is at their ages the chances go up greatly (age 77 and age 83) and I couldn't argue with that.
Sure, makes perfect sense for a 77 and 83 year old to take further precautions.

The thing I struggle with is that there is no clear reason why some cases are bad. There are a small number of young and quite healthy people who have been crippled by this. It's easy to cite statistics but that doesn't help you if you're the 1/1000 who have an extreme case.

For example, here is an NFL player that has been hospitalized twice and is out for the season due to Covid:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...d-battling-covid-19-expected-miss-rest-season

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!