Covid confusion

The thing I struggle with is that there is no clear reason why some cases are bad. There are a small number of young and quite healthy people who have been crippled by this. It's easy to cite statistics but that doesn't help you if you're the 1/1000 who have an extreme case.

For example, here is an NFL player that has been hospitalized twice and is out for the season due to Covid:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...d-battling-covid-19-expected-miss-rest-season
This exactly. I think people quote IFRs as evidence that we shouldn’t worry about it, but they don’t take into account the fact that some people get seriously, and maybe permanently, sick and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason sometimes as to who does get hit hard. Scary stuff.

The thing I struggle with is that there is no clear reason why some cases are bad. There are a small number of young and quite healthy people who have been crippled by this. It's easy to cite statistics but that doesn't help you if you're the 1/1000 who have an extreme case.

For example, here is an NFL player that has been hospitalized twice and is out for the season due to Covid:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...d-battling-covid-19-expected-miss-rest-season
There's been additional research being done on blood type as just one thing.

But I assume it will be like a lot of things where some aspects to it will never know. Our bodies can be incredibly complex.

There are some validated reasons. More research needs to be done for sure. But severity of disease has been linked to underlying conditions, genetic factors, and blood type.

What's so confusing? Given the risk to providers of endoscopy and colonoscopy (based on known viral shedding locations) they should require a test prior to the procedure - similar to dentist. They are not just regular doctors who are sitting in the same room talking to you (masked) and listening to your heart/breathing etc. Everyone is supposed to quarantine until test results are received and until appointment - otherwise the test is completely pointless.
So I work in a state mental health facility, so we go by the state health guidelines. We have had 50 employees that were positive. I was exposed at work. Told to test and work until the results came back. My child was supposed to quarantine due to exposure. Work told me unless he was positive or I was showing symptoms, I had to come to work. Turns out a couple of days later the health dept called and said my child did not have to quarantine. I am just saying, if you are asymptomatic, and are just testing bc you were told you had to be negative, I don't think you have to quarantine. If you got tested because you were showing symptoms, or were exposed then YES you are supposed to quarantine.

So I work in a state mental health facility, so we go by the state health guidelines. We have had 50 employees that were positive. I was exposed at work. Told to test and work until the results came back. My child was supposed to quarantine due to exposure. Work told me unless he was positive or I was showing symptoms, I had to come to work. Turns out a couple of days later the health dept called and said my child did not have to quarantine. I am just saying, if you are asymptomatic, and are just testing bc you were told you had to be negative, I don't think you have to quarantine. If you got tested because you were showing symptoms, or were exposed then YES you are supposed to quarantine.

But that is literally why pre-symptomatic spread is a problem. If you get a test you are supposed to quarantine until test results come back, regardless of the reason for getting the test. I find it hard to believe that any state health guideline states that it's ok to get tested and go about your business until results are received.

This exactly. I think people quote IFRs as evidence that we shouldn’t worry about it, but they don’t take into account the fact that some people get seriously, and maybe permanently, sick and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason sometimes as to who does get hit hard. Scary stuff.
But some people die when they get their wisdom teeth out, some people die from a simple gallbladder removal, some people die from knee replacements. Even when coronavirus becomes a normal part of our lives (like the flu), people will die or get very sick or have complications.

Statistically, if you are a young person, you're going to be ok.

With that being said, how come the nightly news doesn't push the fear tactics of children and babies with Covid anymore? What ever happened to Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome? It was constant. Now not even mentioned on the news.

Last edited:
But some people die when they get their wisdom teeth out, some people die from a simple gallbladder removal, some people die from knee replacements. Even when coronavirus becomes a normal part of our lives (like the flu), people will die.

But people dying from surgery is a risk of surgery. People die from Covid because it is a contagious virus. You can be going about your normal day and catch it at the store. This is much different than possibly dying from a surgery you knowingly are partaking in.

But that is literally why pre-symptomatic spread is a problem. If you get a test you are supposed to quarantine until test results come back, regardless of the reason for getting the test. I find it hard to believe that any state health guideline states that it's ok to get tested and go about your business until results are received.
There is a difference between getting tested as a requirement before surgery when you don’t have any other reason to get tested vs being exposed or having symptoms then getting tested bc you think your sick.

for example. We get randomly tested. So we get tested every 2-3 weeks. So every time we get randomly tested, there is no way we could all stay home for 2 days waiting for results if we aren’t sick.

But also no different to why people get more extreme cases of other illnesses that the majority don't but we don' live in fear if we get sick we will get the worst case. Also partly because its stuff that isn't in the main stream media all the time.

But some people die when they get their wisdom teeth out, some people die from a simple gallbladder removal, some people die from knee replacements. Even when coronavirus becomes a normal part of our lives (like the flu), people will die or get very sick or have complications.

Statistically, if you are a young person, you're going to be ok.

With that being said, how come the nightly news doesn't push the fear tactics of children and babies with Covid anymore? What ever happened to Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome? It was constant. Now not even mentioned on the news.

Completely agree. My good friend in college lost her 30 year old brother to complications of routine hernia surgery (healthy, no underlying diseases and such). Just sucks sometimes.

About 90% of the things the media highlights gets moved pat very quickly because they are much more rare instances then they first wanted to make people think, but they know that those few articles for many will keep the fear going

There's been additional research being done on blood type as just one thing.

But I assume it will be like a lot of things where some aspects to it will never know. Our bodies can be incredibly complex.
There are some validated reasons. More research needs to be done for sure. But severity of disease has been linked to underlying conditions, genetic factors, and blood type.
Definitely agree. Early on I told my wife that in 5 years we'll look back and facepalm at some of the things we were or weren't doing during this. My point was just that there is a lot we don't know and simply going about your life because 99.9% of young people will recover can be difficult when a portion of the 0.1% have no obvious risk factors.

But also no different to why people get more extreme cases of other illnesses that the majority don't but we don' live in fear if we get sick we will get the worst case. Also partly because its stuff that isn't in the main stream media all the time.
There are very few illnesses that are airborne and kill people at rates approaching what Covid-19 does.

There is a difference between getting tested as a requirement before surgery when you don’t have any other reason to get tested vs being exposed or having symptoms then getting tested bc you think your sick.

for example. We get randomly tested. So we get tested every 2-3 weeks. So every time we get randomly tested, there is no way we could all stay home for 2 days waiting for results if we aren’t sick.

OK but do you understand this just doesn't make sense? Snapshot testing without quarantine is completely worthless. It tells you nothing. You can be spreading. Having a pending test changes absolutely nothing. It is a waste of time and money.

OK but do you understand this just doesn't make sense? Snapshot testing without quarantine is completely worthless. It tells you nothing. You can be spreading. Having a pending test changes absolutely nothing. It is a waste of time and money.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but how does this not make sense? We are 100% in-person teaching and are able to get tested once every two weeks. In our school alone, that testing has found 2 teachers who were positive and they had no idea. One of the teachers stayed asymptomatic while the other teacher's virus turned into a mild/moderate case at the time. She is out again however, due to extreme fatigue that did not present until 3 weeks after her positive test. How many kids and teachers would have then been exposed if these two hadn't have had their voluntary test? We do get our results back in less than 24 hours as our counties have set up testing just for school district employees.

BTW, both teachers probably got it at school. There was one student who came to school ill, lying on their health survey for 4 days. When they could no longer hide their cough the parents were told the student must have a negative COVID test before returning to school or stay home for 10 days. The parents refused the COVID test because "kids don't get COVID" and kept the child home. While at home the child infected an elderly grandmother who is now hospitalized and both parents. They finally ended up testing the child when everyone else in the family got ill and the child was positive.

They still debate if its airborne though, even still the chance of dying from it is still very low.
I don’t think they are debating that it’s airborne at this point?
Also, there are tons of “Covid long haulers” including many in their twenties. I don’t think it’s too rare to have some sort of lingering issue from this several months down the road.

I just want this all to be over already. I feel like a year of my life has been wasted and many members of my family still haven’t gotten to meet my one year old son yet.

It totally makes sense. I’d say at least half of our staff were only found due to the random testing. If this testing wasn’t occurring MORE people would have been exposed. So the way you think, we shouldn’t bother to do this at all?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but how does this not make sense? We are 100% in-person teaching and are able to get tested once every two weeks. In our school alone, that testing has found 2 teachers who were positive and they had no idea. One of the teachers stayed asymptomatic while the other teacher's virus turned into a mild/moderate case at the time. She is out again however, due to extreme fatigue that did not present until 3 weeks after her positive test. How many kids and teachers would have then been exposed if these two hadn't have had their voluntary test? We do get our results back in less than 24 hours as our counties have set up testing just for school district employees.

BTW, both teachers probably got it at school. There was one student who came to school ill, lying on their health survey for 4 days. When they could no longer hide their cough the parents were told the student must have a negative COVID test before returning to school or stay home for 10 days. The parents refused the COVID test because "kids don't get COVID" and kept the child home. While at home the child infected an elderly grandmother who is now hospitalized and both parents. They finally ended up testing the child when everyone else in the family got ill and the child was positive.

It doesn't make sense because if you are positive, you are positive (and perhaps spreading) before the test AND positive (and perhaps spreading) for days before your results come back. If your results come back in the same day, that's a little different than the other poster who said it can take a couple days to come back and they are still working during this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter