Covid Travel insurance

Sue M

DIS Veteran
FYI- for those of us thinking about US trips. I still have my Universal trip on the books late Nov. I don’t know how many times I’ve waffled about it. Going to meet up with my girlfriend from LA.
This prompted me to look at medical travel insurance, and one company shines above the rest. Medipac. They have 2 mil in USD coverage. The others I looked at Heymundo only had $100,000 Covid coverage. And Manulife is giving $200,000 in CAD :guilty:
And Medipac is a Canadian company based in Toronto.
Hopefully this will be helpful to someone.

Last edited:
It is helpful, thanks! Is that a Covid-specific policy that Medipac is offering? I am assuming that one would have to purchase a separate, regular, travel-health policy to cover any other health concerns that could arise. Have you seen if any companies are offering this now? I've lightly looked into my coverage with Blue Cross and they state on their website that they are pausing the sale of all travel-health coverage because of the border being "closed" to travel. I actually think I am more worried about not being covered for other, random health emergencies that could always come up while traveling, rather than Covid. I am currently leaning toward booking a November trip this year but only if I could dot all my i's and cross my t's.

It is helpful, thanks! Is that a Covid-specific policy that Medipac is offering? I am assuming that one would have to purchase a separate, regular, travel-health policy to cover any other health concerns that could arise. Have you seen if any companies are offering this now? I've lightly looked into my coverage with Blue Cross and they state on their website that they are pausing the sale of all travel-health coverage because of the border being "closed" to travel. I actually think I am more worried about not being covered for other, random health emergencies that could always come up while traveling, rather than Covid. I am currently leaning toward booking a November trip this year but only if I could dot all my i's and cross my t's.
No, it’s actually a full coverage policy. But Covid is included. And they cover pre existing conditions as long as they’ve been stable for 3 months. I was impressed. They have a toll free number to call. Which I did.
Ive always used Pacific Blue Cross for all my trips, but can’t now. As you found out.

That is really great news!
Yes I was prepared to have to purchase another policy for regular medical, but this covers everything. Yay. I will purchase closer to trip. Probably early November. I want to buy annual policy because we have a WDW trip in Aug. but if we have to still quarantine my daughter won’t be able to go. She can’t take that long off work.

Think Medipac is the travel insurance company partnered and endorsed by the Canadian Snowbirds Assoc (CSA) and the Canadian Legion. Medipac is the biggest financial supporter and sponsor for CSA and CSA promotes its products exclusively. Powerful and active lobby groups - both CSA and Medipac. But its influence a plus when you need some kind of covid care coverage.

Might be worth joining the CSA if earn decent discount on the insurance. Something to check out.

Think Medipac is the travel insurance company partnered and endorsed by the Canadian Snowbirds Assoc (CSA) and the Canadian Legion. Medipac is the biggest financial supporter and sponsor for CSA and CSA promotes its products exclusively. Powerful and active lobby groups - both CSA and Medipac. But its influence a plus when you need some kind of covid care coverage.

Might be worth joining the CSA if earn decent discount on the insurance. Something to check out.
Good idea

~Update~ I just found another insurance company Tour+Med, that covers Covid $5 million coverage. It also includes $100/day living expenses for hotel or? Plus $500 for food for 14 days if you get sick and have to quarantine but don’t need hospitalization. And cheaper than Medi pac. They are a Quebec company.

Forgot to ask if they are 1st payer or if they try to get reimbursed from my extended benefits. Will have to phone back after long weekend to find out. Maybe that’s why they are so cheap, $87 for a 13 day trip. :confused3

Last edited:
Thanks for these updates, one thing I was thinking about was can the insurance be voided if the Canadian government has issused a travel warning for the area we are going to?

Sue, wonderful information to share. Thank you.

And they cover pre existing conditions as long as they’ve been stable for 3 months.

I want to urge everyone to read their policies thoroughly, no matter how tedious.

Stable for three months could literally be voided with a simple change in medication. That would never occur to a layperson to consider, to highlight in their decision-making.

Sue, wonderful information to share. Thank you.

I want to urge everyone to read their policies thoroughly, no matter how tedious.

Stable for three months could literally be voided with a simple change in medication. That would never occur to a layperson to consider, to highlight in their decision-making.
Very true. Not only a change in med, could be same med but different dose, or even your condition improved and you don’t need the med anymore.
this company is 3 mos, some are even 6mos.
Another thing you have to look for if you have extended benefits, they don’t try to get reimbursed from your extended benefit. Could wipe out your lifetime limit.
This company is 1st payer.
i read the policy of the other Insurance (Tour Med) I was looking at that also gives you living benefits incase you cant get home because of quarantine. I thought it was great until I read they’d go after my extended Medical.

So I’ll stick with the Canadian Snowbird recommendation- Medipac.

Last edited:
Thanks for these updates, one thing I was thinking about was can the insurance be voided if the Canadian government has issused a travel warning for the area we are going to?
you should definitely phone the insurance company and find out. We do have a warning of only necessary travel to the US, but some companies are including Covid.

Based on a few articles I've read, Medipac say they're ignoring the travel ban, as that would exclude all travel from their coverage. (can't post the link to those articles, dunno why)
But I don't know how much I'd rely on some news articles to validate if the company will cover us or not. Best thing would be to call them, as the PP mentioned

So medi-pac is 1st Payer?

Both my employer and credit card are 2nd payer. How would that work if both your insurances were 2nd payer? Who actually pays?

Update, I decided to go with Tour+Med. after long talks with agent. They are way cheaper, and have additional coverage of $100/day living expenses if you get Covid but not sick enough for hospital stay. Plus $500 for grocery delivery.
Because I’m under their lifetime limit of Extended Health benefits they won’t touch my Extended.
They have 6mos stability clause which I fit into.
It was a hard decision, both have good coverage. I can’t help but worry why Tour+Med is so much cheaper than MediPac but I’ve read policy and can’t see anything wrong.

@azrivest these insurance companies that are offering Covid coverage no matter our current travel advisory of non essential travel.

FYI- for those of us thinking about US trips. I still have my Universal trip on the books late Nov. I don’t know how many times I’ve waffled about it. Going to meet up with my girlfriend from LA.
This prompted me to look at medical travel insurance, and one company shines above the rest. Medipac. They have 2 mil in USD coverage. The others I looked at Heymundo only had $100,000 Covid coverage. And Manulife is giving $200,000 in CAD :guilty:
And Medipac is a Canadian company based in Toronto.
Hopefully this will be helpful to someone.
Sue,
I took your advice and bought the medical ins plus COVID-19 from medipac

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter