Cricut makers

rella's fan

DIS Veteran
I've been racking my brain for a Christmas gift for my 18 year old daughter who is very crafty and creative. She's never asked for one and I know nothing about them but wondered if this might be something she would like? - seems like she would but just not sure if its worth the price and also if there is somewhere I should be watching for them to go on sale (preferably that would ship to Canada) - maybe Black Friday? I have a U.S. mailbox but doubt that I will be able to get over the border before Christmas.

I know you can buy them here in Canada and I do think they go on sale around Black Friday.
I think with the exchange the prices are pretty relative so I don't think it would be worth ordering it from the USA if you can just get it here.
I see it on Amazon.ca, at Walmart Canada and at Michaels Canada. I don't think you can use Michaels coupons for it though

I have an Explore, bought it right before the maker came out. I love it. My DD also likes it...although she just bought her own.

As far as deals, does Home Shopping Network ship to Canada? Occasionally they have a craft day that features bundles that some feel are pretty great deals.

Now, be a little careful with the Maker. It can do many things, but each “thing” needs a different tool, which costs more. If money is no object...then buying all these fun cool tools might not be a problem. On the other hand, if your DD is hard to buy presents for, then perhaps those would make great presents for upcoming birthdays!

I do not need a Maker. My DD would probably have preferred a maker, but she got an Explore 2 back in April for about $150 ( using a code, and a 10% discount I have with a Cricut Access). Was hard for DD to justify more than double the cost for a Maker, when she has limited time to craft.

Hope this helps! You know your budget and daughter best! And, if you get an Explore or Maker, get her a couple of extra cutting mats! And...I personally have no justification to buy a Joy, although some that have them like them. Too small, and the Joy (under $200US probably closer to $170) doesn’t give me any technology that I need, that I can’t do on my Explore.

if you have any other specific questions please message me, I’ll try to answer quickly, For perspective- I should probably add, I am a card maker, and have branched out a little to HTV iron on vinyl.

Last edited:
The Maker can cut fabric , the Explore can with some prep. I have the Maker and really I should have gotten the Explore. They have a smaller size one now called the Joy. Just doesn't cut as wide pieces of paper or vinyl.

I had one of the original Cricuts and I have the the Cricut Imagine. There have been many Cricuts throughout the years. One thing to keep in mind about Cricut is that they're always coming out with new technology, and that's good and bad because sometimes (and eventually) they forget about the older machines and stop supporting them. So if its something she'd want to continue, sooner or later you have to upgrade. Just like your Iphone. Now there is the Cricut Joy, in my opinion, too small. You want something that at least handles a 12 x 12 piece of stock paper. QVC is selling that. HSN is a huge seller of all thing crafting and big seller of Cricuts. I don't know if you have HSN in Canada but you can always look on line, go to their website and watch their videos and read their reviews. Michaels and Hobby Lobby also sells Cricuts (and no, their coupons never apply to cricuts). HSN is better known for the bundles and better pricing and usually free shipping. Do some research, there are so many tutorials, videos, reviews on line....it's endless. And keep in mind, these machines now connect to your Iphone and Ipad. There are upgrades to them and sometimes monthly fees.

I had one of the original Cricuts and I have the the Cricut Imagine. There have been many Cricuts throughout the years. One thing to keep in mind about Cricut is that they're always coming out with new technology, and that's good and bad because sometimes (and eventually) they forget about the older machines and stop supporting them. So if its something she'd want to continue, sooner or later you have to upgrade. Just like your Iphone. Now there is the Cricut Joy, in my opinion, too small. You want something that at least handles a 12 x 12 piece of stock paper. QVC is selling that. HSN is a huge seller of all thing crafting and big seller of Cricuts. I don't know if you have HSN in Canada but you can always look on line, go to their website and watch their videos and read their reviews. Michaels and Hobby Lobby also sells Cricuts (and no, their coupons never apply to cricuts). HSN is better known for the bundles and better pricing and usually free shipping. Do some research, there are so many tutorials, videos, reviews on line....it's endless. And keep in mind, these machines now connect to your Iphone and Ipad. There are upgrades to them and sometimes monthly fees.

I actually bought a Maker and returned it. I am more of a sewer and thought it would be great for cutting quilt squares and small things but from what I can figure, it can only cut one layer at a time and the mat was unusable after 3 uses of creating masks. I tried cleaning it and it just didn’t clean. I know there are non-approved methods to making it restick, but if I am paying all that money for a machine and accessories, I expect it to last longer than 3 times. Now I did try making cards and that was fun so if she is more of that type of crafter, she would probably love it.

I've been racking my brain for a Christmas gift for my 18 year old daughter who is very crafty and creative. She's never asked for one and I know nothing about them but wondered if this might be something she would like? - seems like she would but just not sure if its worth the price and also if there is somewhere I should be watching for them to go on sale (preferably that would ship to Canada) - maybe Black Friday? I have a U.S. mailbox but doubt that I will be able to get over the border before Christmas.

if you figure out a way to sneak across the boarder let me in on it. there's a brand of dry packaged soups i'm mad for up there but they won't mail them to the u.s. i'm almost out of my seasonal favorite and would love to find a way to get some.

We bought ours preowned.. on FB marketplace you find them brand new used once or twice for a quarter of the money. I know it's a gift so look for one in the box etc.
I think of things all of the time my kids need and did not ask for and they are pricey.. so I know its hard.
When my kids were 18 I started buying them stuff for their adult life... I know they did not get it at first but I'm so glad I did. I bought instapot, nice pots and pans etc.

My husband bought me a Cricut Maker for Christmas a couple years ago. I don't think he realized what he did at the time. I have made a LOT of stuff. Tshirts, hairbows, patterns for etched glass, tumblers, water bottles, earrings, cutting boards....I am thinking I am going to need to concentrate on something I can pump out quickly and easily like hair bows and open an etsy shop to support my craft habit. We no longer have a guest bedroom, it is now my craft room.

My husband bought me a Cricut Maker for Christmas a couple years ago. I don't think he realized what he did at the time. I have made a LOT of stuff. Tshirts, hairbows, patterns for etched glass, tumblers, water bottles, earrings, cutting boards....I am thinking I am going to need to concentrate on something I can pump out quickly and easily like hair bows and open an etsy shop to support my craft habit. We no longer have a guest bedroom, it is now my craft room.
My problem was making stuff for "free" for family or got out of hand...
I would go into Disney shirts and gear. When I was looking for good shirt ideas on Etsy they had a lot of sales

My problem was making stuff for "free" for family or got out of hand...
I would go into Disney shirts and gear. When I was looking for good shirt ideas on Etsy they had a lot of sales
My grandkids get a lot of shirts-I need to get the tumblers my daughter uses for them to get those done for Christmas, I already have the glitters. My other daughter gets a lot for her dorm room and for her college friends too. Their favorite thing I have made for the dorm room is a Mask Hanger with little clothespins for them to use to hang their facemasks to dry and a vinyl of a guy in a Plague Mask with the words "Party like it's 1353" Since my kid is an Archeology major and her roommate is a History major they LOVED it. I am working on multiple holiday potholder/tea towel sets for my neice as a wedding gift--I have Christmas, Valentines, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween and Thanksgiving ones designed, I just need to get them made. I have leather to do Christmas bows for my granddaughter and earrings for my Mother in Law-that is going to take an afternoon but I am working like crazy right now to get my house ready for the movers in December before I have surgery and can't do anything but sit in my craft room. I get a lot of joy out of making things for people and if I make it and give it away I get the joy of creating without the clutter of stuff. But yeah, I need to find a way to support my habit.

I'm thinking about buying the Cricut Joy for my 13 year old daughter who loves crafts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts