Cross stitch questions from a (sort of) novice

Katie Dawn

DIS Veteran
Hello there! I cross stitched with my Dad as a kid for a few years and have decided to pick it up again. I bought a pattern book from eBay that is from the 1980s that he owned. Two issues I'm having:
(1) The instructions say to use 2 strands of floss for the regular stitches (as opposed to back stitches). However, no matter how particular I am to make sure the needle is going into the correct spot on the fabric, I'm still getting these little white spaces. Here's a pic:
PXL_20230123_203431673.jpg

There are small white spaces at pretty much every stitch but I'm talking specifically about the more noticable white "holes" here and there. I'm using 14 count fabric.

Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening? Am I just not getting the needle in the right spot? I don't remember this happening when I was a kid. My Dad was a major perfectionist (the back of his projects were just about as pretty as the front) and I don't think he would have accepted these results, but I don't remember him ever complaining about it.

Is there a possibility that the embroidery floss is thinner than it used to be so two strands was sufficient in the 80s but today you really need 3 strands? That's probably not it but I'm just trying to figure out what's happening.

(2) I can't seem to get the floss to completely unwind/untwist while I'm using it.. I let the needle hang down/dangle and the thread will spin and straighten out a little, but not all the way. I even run my fingers down the thread as it's hanging to force it to twist and straighten out but it still is twisted some. I'm wondering if the thread being twisted is causing some of the white spaces too. Is there some way I should store the thread that will keep it more straightened out before use?

TIA!

Last edited:
Looking at your stitches suggests to me you may be pulling your floss through too tightly. Some stitches look strained to me.

That would explain the white spaces, too.

You might try 3 strands. Nothing says you have to follow directions if you dislike the results--unless you'd run short before finishing and haven't a good source of more floss.

Looking at your stitches suggests to me you may be pulling your floss through too tightly. Some stitches look strained to me.

That would explain the white spaces, too.

You might try 3 strands. Nothing says you have to follow directions if you dislike the results--unless you'd run short before finishing and haven't a good source of more floss.
Ooooo... yes I have been pulling it a little snug to make sure it doesn't loosen up too much and look deformed I guess? I'll back off and let them be "comfortable".

Thank you!

How do you "store" your floss? I saw these at the store and now that I'm having the twisting/twirled problem I'm wondering if using something like this would help.
https://www.joann.com/cardboard-bobbins/5726948.html

I have an elaborate floss storage method--toss the skeins in a box and dig around for the colors I need. Not kidding.

I bought a binder with bobbins like that several years ago but soon found it more work loading the bobbins than it was worth. Try those if you want, but I found them unnecessary.

It's the nature of embroidery floss to look twisted. That's what makes your stitches look plush. It won't look or feel as straight and smooth as sewing thread. Trying to untwist the strands could also be causing your spaces, I suspect.

As you indicate, sometimes I must stop stitching and let the floss unwind. It does tend to twist on itself.

It's important to pull the floss through the canvas just barely taut. If you can pluck the stitches with your fingernails and feel a slight lift, that's about the right tension. You want them looking plush when you've done a row or section in a color.

Your dad would think my work terribly sloppy. As long as the front looks nice, I never bother with how good the back looks, just make sure it'll all hang together.

I have an elaborate floss storage method--toss the skeins in a box and dig around for the colors I need. Not kidding.

I bought a binder with bobbins like that several years ago but soon found it more work loading the bobbins than it was worth. Try those if you want, but I found them unnecessary.

It's the nature of embroidery floss to look twisted. That's what makes your stitches look plush. It won't look or feel as straight and smooth as sewing thread. Trying to untwist the strands could also be causing your spaces, I suspect.

As you indicate, sometimes I must stop stitching and let the floss unwind. It does tend to twist on itself.

It's important to pull the floss through the canvas just barely taut. If you can pluck the stitches with your fingernails and feel a slight lift, that's about the right tension. You want them looking plush when you've done a row or section in a color.

Your dad would think my work terribly sloppy. As long as the front looks nice, I never bother with how good the back looks, just make sure it'll all hang together.
Thank you!
The back of mine isn't up to my Dad's standards either. 🙂 He wouldn't have cared though, he just liked for his own projects to be that way.

You sound like me with your organizational system - ha!

Wanted to tell you that you "unlocked" a memory for me. After you mentioned it being too tight I remembered getting that advice from my Dad too. It made me smile. 💜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter