Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think there is some politics involved there more than just a concern for health. Canada still has travel open to practically all of Europe, where COVID is right now spiking out of control, at rates beyond even what's happening in the US. I understand Canada may care more about what's happening in the US because they share a border. But it's ridiculous that they are concerned about Canadians going to Florida but says nothing about them going to Europe.

In any case, any international travel is going to be difficult until there is a vaccine widely available. A lot of people just simply don't want to travel right now because they are scared. Those that do and aren't scared are either effected by border restrictions or they think the safety measures are ridiculous and overblown. (ie" Don't want to go to parks with a mask on).

Disney also claims that it's 25% capacity. I know someone that recently went. They go to Disney a lot and are DVC members, so they know when the parks look busy. They said there is "no way" it's capped at 25%. It's more like 50%. They said they asked a cast member about it and they were extremely tight-lipped about it. So Disney may be cheating that number a bit in order to help their revenue.

He also did the license plate poll (walked through the parking lot to see the license plates are from). Most are from southern states. Lots of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Carolina, and Louisiana plates. Of course lots of Florida too. Also surprisingly a good number of California plates. Looks like California people are going to Disney World to get their fix since Disneyland is closed. New England plates were noticeably scarce.

I know we tend to talk in circles about the 25% cap - but one has to keep in mind how the available capacity for things to due is drastically cut - between spacing on attractions and then shows and meet & greets closed and then other people absorbing activities (parades, etc.) not happening And fewer dining options and reduced capacity at what is opened. So far fewer people in the park will use up what capacity there is available to them. Plus the shortened park hours mean fewer people taking mid-day breaks, etc.

And, trying to put numbers to it - on a typical crowded summer day, MK is only at 55-60% capacity. To 25% cpacity is about half the people of a normal busy day BUT if capacity for where people can go is reduced by half, then 25% capacity will feel as crowded as a normal busy day - and with social distancing in the queues they will taake up more room

I know we tend to talk in circles about the 25% cap - but one has to keep in mind how the available capacity for things to due is drastically cut - between spacing on attractions and then shows and meet & greets closed and then other people absorbing activities (parades, etc.) not happening And fewer dining options and reduced capacity at what is opened. So far fewer people in the park will use up what capacity there is available to them. Plus the shortened park hours mean fewer people taking mid-day breaks, etc.

And, trying to put numbers to it - on a typical crowded summer day, MK is only at 55-60% capacity. To 25% cpacity is about half the people of a normal busy day BUT if capacity for where people can go is reduced by half, then 25% capacity will feel as crowded as a normal busy day - and with social distancing in the queues they will taake up more room
We were having the same thoughts LOL

Just to clarify, Canadians cannot drive across the US border for non-essential travel but we can, and always have been allowed to fly to the US.

I had a trip booked to Disney in Sept and could have taken that trip but chose to cancel it due to the high case counts in FL and in the US in general. I would guess the majority of Canadians normally fly to FL to enjoy our WDW trips as driving is a minimum 20+ hours. I normally help 10-15 family and friends book trips each year and about 9o% of us fly to WDW.

Many Canadians are choosing not to visit WDW for reasons other than the driving border being closed. Some of the others challenges are:
- obtaining travel health insurance is difficult (but not impossible)
- mandatory 14 day quarantine when flying into Canada from any other country (This is enforced and people are checked in on)
- safety and case counts during COVID-19

Yes, the driving border to the US is closed but it’s not impossible for a Canadian to visit WDW (Or anywhere in the US) right now but, just like Americans, many are choosing to wait and visit later when things with the virus settle down a bIt and Disney operations are more ‘normal’.

I feel WDW is doing an amazing job with their safety procedures in place, I’m just choosing to not do a lot right now (including going to WDW) until life is just a little safer in general.

Any chance this new interest in mask enforcement is gonna extend to DS? (...My fam has decided we’re doing dinner on a Fri night in DS and honestly if one falls we all fall anyway so I’m gonna down my vitamins A-Z and join 😬 )
What’s the new interest in mask enforcement mean?

Disney has added new signage around the parks saying that mask compliance will be enforced or guests will be asked to leave.

They’ve also added messaging online that says masks are mandatory and if you cannot comply, please rebook your trip for a later time.

I’m glad to see them taking these steps!

I believe they are referencing the new signage, announcements, and website warnings about mask usage. Basically the signs are saying to wear the masks correctly or you’ll be asked to leave the park.
Oh I thought that was happening always. Ok thanks

Disney has added new signage around the parks saying that mask compliance will be enforced or guests will be asked to leave.

They’ve also added messaging online that says masks are mandatory and if you cannot comply, please rebook your trip for a later time.

I’m glad to see them taking these steps!
That is good. I thought they had already done this. But good to know since I’ll be going soon.

Internationally, it feels like the attitude to the current travel restrictions are definitely some politically motivated "tit for tat". Yes, the US is not doing great but neither are we in Europe.I believe the general idea here is that they'll be lifted after the US elections.

In addition to increased signage, increased announcements and website verbiage to not come if you can’t wear a mask, CMs are reported to be much more strict about proper mask wearing then they were even last week. And it’s not like they were really lax prior to this. Something changed, we can only speculate on what.

I’m just hoping to hear it changed at DS too.

Internationally, it feels like the attitude to the current travel restrictions are definitely some politically motivated "tit for tat". Yes, the US is not doing great but neither are we in Europe.I believe the general idea here is that they'll be lifted after the US elections.
Our cases are rising rapidly in Canada too, which is why I really don't think it's as political as people want to think, since our border is closed to anyone who is not granted an exemption, and that includes travel to other Canadians even between certain provinces.

Incorrectly announcing that Europe can travel here and the U.S can't when it's not true attempts to make it political. It isn't, it's related to a pandemic. Our border would fully reopen to everyone tomorrow if there wasn't a pandemic. I would pretty much guarantee 100% our borders won't open right after the election regardless of how it goes, and it isn't a slight against anyone. It's. a. pandemic.

There was a number analysis done on another Website that was interesting. 25% of WDW capacity may sound like not much, but it actually works out to something like 50% of average attendance. Reminds me of the old saying that numbers lie and liars figure.

I did find this NASDAQ article that did more exact math. They use Park Capacity figures provided by Touring Plans which is probably the best we can realistically get:

Magic Kingdom:
- Max Capacity = 90,000
- 25% of this is 22,500
- Average daily attendance = 57,400
- so 25% capacity is 39% of average attendance

EPCOT:
- Max Capacity = 110,000
- 25% of this is 30,900
- Average daily attendance = 34,000
- so 25% capacity is 91% of average attendance

Then you put the reduced capacity on attractions and restaurants and things that aren't even open and the social distancing in the queues - there is no surprise that when close to this 25% capacity that the parks will feel crowded

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/is-disney-world-really-operating-at-25-capacity-2020-10-13

I did find this NASDAQ article that did more exact math. They use Park Capacity figures provided by Touring Plans which is probably the best we can realistically get:

Magic Kingdom:
- Max Capacity = 90,000
- 25% of this is 22,500
- Average daily attendance = 57,400
- so 25% capacity is 39% of average attendance

EPCOT:
- Max Capacity = 110,000
- 25% of this is 30,900
- Average daily attendance = 34,000
- so 25% capacity is 91% of average attendance

Then you put the reduced capacity on attractions and restaurants and things that aren't even open and the social distancing in the queues - there is no surprise that when close to this 25% capacity that the parks will feel crowded

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/is-disney-world-really-operating-at-25-capacity-2020-10-13
How are they getting the number of guests last year? Is that coming from Disney or a third party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter