Cruise from Dover - Airport?

ahain

Thankful & Blessed
Looking at the Transatlantic that sails from Dover.....What airport is best to fly into from the U.S.? If we arrived 2 days pre-cruise, what must-see activities should we pursue? Where would you recommend that we stay (DH, DD (23) and me)? Thanks for your suggestions.

The international airport closest to Dover is Gatwick ... south of London ... but Heathrow and Gatwick both have train service to Dover. IIRC it's 3-4 hours by train.

Personally, if I had a couple of days before a cruise out of Dover, I'd fly into London and then spend the time in and around Brighton. It's an awesome beachfront city with tons to see and do, and the cliffs up the coast from Brighton are much more fun to view than the more famous ones around Dover. Quick train up the coast from Brighton to Dover on departure day and you're good to go. But that's me.

We landed in Heathrow and took a Disney transfer from A Doubletree in London day of cruise.
It was 1.5- 2 hour drive.

Airfare from Michigan to Gatwick is ridiculously priced. Michigan to Heathrow is much more palatable

The international airport closest to Dover is Gatwick ... south of London ... but Heathrow and Gatwick both have train service to Dover. IIRC it's 3-4 hours by train.

Personally, if I had a couple of days before a cruise out of Dover, I'd fly into London and then spend the time in and around Brighton. It's an awesome beachfront city with tons to see and do, and the cliffs up the coast from Brighton are much more fun to view than the more famous ones around Dover. Quick train up the coast from Brighton to Dover on departure day and you're good to go. But that's me.
Just to note neither Gatwick, Heathrow or Brighton have a direct train train service to Dover. You can get from Gatwick to Dover via London with one change avoiding the Underground, but if you want to get from Dover to Heathrow on the train you will need to use the Underground for at least part of the journey.

So we've done the train from Gatwick 3 times now, then we have done a car transfer to Dover twice from London.

So we've done the train from Gatwick 3 times now, then we have done a car transfer to Dover twice from London.
How much did the car transfer from London to Dover cost? Thank you

Airfare from Michigan to Gatwick is ridiculously priced. Michigan to Heathrow is much more palatable
Depending on where you are in MI, Chicago may be an option. Chicago is about an hour further for us than DTW, but was a savings of over 1K for 4 of us, so worth it for us

Things to see pre-cruise. That depends on what you like. Depending on the time of year and current state of the world, Buckingham Palace has tours of the public rooms for several months (usually ending in September at some point). Dover Castle is amazing. It depends on if you want to spend your pre-cruise days in London or closer to Dover. Tops for me were Dover Castle in Dover. Buckingham Palace tour, Tower of London, and if you enjoy WW2 military you can't go wrong with Churchill War Room and the HMS Belfast (compared to American ships you have almost unfettered access to the HMS Belfast), all in London.

How much did the car transfer from London to Dover cost? Thank you
Was looking back and of course I can't find it, but we used Blackberry Cars, and it was good both times we used them 2 years running. I had it set up and paid for long before we left. The second year I had them pick us up in Dover as well and take us back to Gatwick to go home since our flight was slightly earlier than Disney wanted. We made our plane easily with time to kill in the airport.

Just to note neither Gatwick, Heathrow or Brighton have a direct train train service to Dover. You can get from Gatwick to Dover via London with one change avoiding the Underground, but if you want to get from Dover to Heathrow on the train you will need to use the Underground for at least part of the journey.
Didn't mean to imply direct service ... I forget that this is what people expect in Europe. In the UK, it's typical to take a train (above or below ground ... or both) to get to a train. My bad.

Also, I've never found changes/transfers involving a Tube station to be problematic.

We did the WBTA in 2018 and did exactly that. Flew into London a few days early and toured. Then took the Disney transfer to Dover. Easy peasey.

There is way too many options to really be able to say what to do in 2 days. That said either Heathrow or Gatwick with a stay in London probably makes the most sense and is the easiest. There is just so much to do and see that no matter what your interests are, there will be something to do. DCL has transfers from London to Dover or it would be possible to do the train to Dover, likely with a transfer.

We have done two DCL cruise, one ending in Dover and a WBTA starting there last fall. For the one ending we booked a private car transport to London and stayed a few days after to tour before catching a train down to Gatwick For the flight home. Last year we flew into Heathrow did a train to London and toured before taking DCL bus transfer to the port. You will have pretty much unlimited sites and history to take in around London. You can walk to plenty of stuff if you want and taxis and public transportation are pretty easy, especially if you think the Visitors Oyster card will work for you.

I assume you are looking at 2021? If by some chance you are looking at 2020, I'd wait to see if the Magic even goes to Europe at all this year before booking airfare.

Depending on where you are in MI, Chicago may be an option. Chicago is about an hour further for us than DTW, but was a savings of over 1K for 4 of us, so worth it for us
100% check other cities. From Ohio Indianapolis was 1.5k less expensive.

Didn't mean to imply direct service ... I forget that this is what people expect in Europe. In the UK, it's typical to take a train (above or below ground ... or both) to get to a train. My bad.

Also, I've never found changes/transfers involving a Tube station to be problematic.
Usually a tube station transfer isn’t that bad. However with two weeks worth of luggage, you want to limit walking with suitcases as much as posssible.

We lived in London for 4 years. Gatwick is a much smaller airport and not very easy to transit in and out of. It you haven't been to UK, then I'd suggest flying into Heathrow, catching a Heathrow Express to London and touring London for couple of days. Heathrow Express goes into Paddington which is basically center of London so pick you lodging around the station for most convenience. You can get around London riding the Tube or surface Bus, very convenient and fairly cheap using your credit card with a chip. You can also purchase a multi day visitor pass but I think you can't travel with it during peak hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter