Cruise in just over 2 weeks and dd has the flu

lklgoodman

DIS Veteran
We leave in 15 days for our cruise. I just got back from the dr with my dd, she has the flu. She is taking tamiflu, we all had flu vac. I'm not worried about her still being sick when we go on our cruise. However, wondering if I should call our family dr and ask about getting tamiflu for dh and I. I wasn't able to get her into our family dr, they didn't have any openings so I had to go to a walk-in clinic. I also haven't had the flu in over 30 yrs, so not really sure if it's even possible to get tamiflu if you're not sick yet? If I get the flu, I should get it within a couple of days right? I can just see dh or I getting it a few days before our cruise and having to miss it. We have insurance, just hope we don't have to use it.

It can take up to 10 days for the vaccine to be in full effect IF the strain you catch is the one you were protected from.

It can take a few days to develop the symptoms if you catch it.

I think you have to take tamiflu within the first two days you feel the symptoms?

I hope you won't catch it and/or recover fast.

Good luck!

We got the vac back in Oct. Dd was fine when she woke up this morning, her symptoms came on fast. Lots of kids/teacher from her school have been out sick, so I got her to the dr about 3 hrs after first symptom appeared. If dh and I do get it I hope it appears soon.

Generally, if the flu strain is not one in the vaccine, the vaccine will make it milder.

I would talk to your family doctor. The FDA has approved Tamil for prevention, but the side effects of it can be grim (nausea! puke!), and generally it only reduces symptoms by about a day. Now, that day may be a big deal, but given the timing, I think you can just be alert for symptoms and jump on them if/when they occur.

Wife had cold symptoms getting worse.. They did the rapid test and was positive. My son had just started with a cough. That same afternoon, we got him tested and it was positive as well. The next morning, I was feeling a little weak and had as scratchy throat. Doctor just prescribed it Tamiflu. as I was already exposed. Wife and son were not allowed to go to work or school for 6 days as they had tested positive.

Flu going rampant. If you are exposed, your doctor can prescribe Tamiflu as a precaution and you'll take it one pill per day for 10 days, instead of the usual dose of one pill twice a day.

The vax this year is only about 30% effective. Thus, the high rates of infection across the US.
Depending on your family doc you might be able to explain your situation and have them prescribe Tamiflu just in case you come down with it while on the trip. Again, it depends on the physician.
Our doc has been kind enough to give us a prescription (before our cruises) for zofran in case the dreaded noro-virus makes an appearance on our trips. We’ve never needed it but grateful for having it. In our case it helps that my wife is a pharmacist so our doc is comfortable with prescribing to us for that kind of thing.

If you have been exposed to influenza, call your doctor and let them know and they can call in prophylactic Tamiflu. You do not need to be sick to get a Tamiflu prescription. The dosing it's different if you were sick versus if you were taking it for prevention of catching the illness.Even if it is the weekend,call Your doctors office because there should be a physician on call who can take your request and who can call in a prophylactic prescription for you and your husband, or anyone else in the family who has been exposed to prevent you from coming down with influenza. typically physicians are generous when there is a confirmed influenza exposure. For your child, if it has been less than 48 hours, they can start Tamiflu as well and it can decrease the duration and severity of symptoms. Good luck! Hope everyone feels better quickly and enjoy your cruise.

We leave in 15 days for our cruise. I just got back from the dr with my dd, she has the flu. She is taking tamiflu, we all had flu vac. I'm not worried about her still being sick when we go on our cruise. However, wondering if I should call our family dr and ask about getting tamiflu for dh and I. I wasn't able to get her into our family dr, they didn't have any openings so I had to go to a walk-in clinic. I also haven't had the flu in over 30 yrs, so not really sure if it's even possible to get tamiflu if you're not sick yet? If I get the flu, I should get it within a couple of days right? I can just see dh or I getting it a few days before our cruise and having to miss it. We have insurance, just hope we don't have to use it.
Tamiflu has been a godsend for us. Our doctor gives each of us a prescription to use prophylactively if needed (due to immune system dysfunction, neither my son nor I can get a flu shot).

If you've been exposed to the illness, you take one pill per day to prevent contracting the flu. If you are already sick, you take 2 pills per day to stop the illness.

The FDA has approved Tamil for prevention, but the side effects of it can be grim (nausea! puke!), and generally it only reduces symptoms by about a day.

We have stopped a budding flu completely in its tracks via Tamiflu on different occasions for both my son and myself over the past few years (I'm an elementary schoolteacher so am constantly getting exposed). Neither my son nor I have had any side effects from it. Rather, we have both enjoyed the relief Tamiflu gave us from the nasty side effects (nausea & body aches) we had been experiencing from the flu.

Tamiflu is an effective drug. It's kind of strange that in an era when most doctors prescribe antibiotics at the drop of a hat, many are reluctant to prescribe anti-virals...

Last edited:
Agreed with the other posters, I'd reach out to your doctor and ask for Tamiflu in prophylactive dosing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter