CT drivers

bocaj1431

DIS Veteran
I will be driving to DW from CT the week of 4/16 to 4/23. It will be just myself and my son. I am extremely nervous about this being that it is just me driving and I have never driven that long before. I have no idea when the best time to leave is to avoid the worst traffic areas and What the best routes are.
I figured we would stop in NC but I’m not sure if that is the best option.
Are there any people from CT who have made this trip before who can give me some advice? Any definite things to avoid?

If you take I-95 you will hit traffic around Baltimore and DC. At least from a about 7am to 9am and 3pm to 7pm.

If you go to google maps you can input start/destination and then choose the time of day you start and it will give an estimate. So if you might be near DC at 9am then input the starting point at, say, Columbia,MD and the destination as Fredricksburg, VA.

Thanks for the info. :) I have google maps and plan on using that.

I was hoping I could get advice about best time to leave CT, what routes are best to avoid congestion in DC area, what state might be the best option for a hotel to beak up trip, etc. Basically tips for the drive.

In general if my family drives a long distance we leave as early in the day as we can stomach (4 or 5). You'll miss the morning rush in NY and should be good until south NJ.

Not sure where in CT you are. I hate the GW Bridge, always have, always will. So I usually take the Merritt to the Hutchinson River Pkway to the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway to get around NYC.

If you're on 84, stay on 84 to the NYS thruway south (87) to get to the Garden State Parkway. The GSP intersects with the NJ Turnpike (95) somewhere around Woodbridge.

ETA: I'm useless south of NJ, I've only ever been a passenger south of NJ and we left CT at like 5 or 6 PM and hit the DC area late night.

As to where you should stop, that depends on how many hours a day you think you can drive but I think if you can make it to the the VA/NC border that would be a good place to stop.

In general if my family drives a long distance we leave as early in the day as we can stomach (4 or 5). You'll miss the morning rush in NY and should be good until south NJ.

Not sure where in CT you are. I hate the GW Bridge, always have, always will. So I usually take the Merritt to the Hutchinson River Pkway to the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway to get around NYC.

If you're on 84, stay on 84 to the NYS thruway south (87) to get to the Garden State Parkway. The GSP intersects with the NJ Turnpike (95) somewhere around Woodbridge.

As to where you should stop, that depends on how many hours a day you think you can drive but I think if you can make it to the the VA/NC border that would be a good place to stop.

Thank you!! This definitely helps.

I am leaving from Orange CT. So, I’ll shoot for leaving at 4am and use the plan you suggested.

Google looks like it's spitting out the inland route (i-81 to 1-77) as an alternative coming from Orange, it adds 100 miles but only 10 minutes in extra travel time.

If you take the Tappan Zee, follow 287, get on 78, then get on 81 somewhere outside of Harrisburg.

Yes, the inland route avoids DC which can have awful traffic. I you really want to avoid congestion and having to time getting around DC, inland is the way to go.

Google looks like it's spitting out the inland route (i-81 to 1-77) as an alternative coming from Orange, it adds 100 miles but only 10 minutes in extra travel time.

If you take the Tappan Zee, follow 287, get on 78, then get on 81 somewhere outside of Harrisburg.

Good to know.

Now I just have to hope I can drive 8-10 hours with only a couple breaks in between.

Inland it is then.

It's not really getting on I-81 as I-78 ends and it becomes I-81 so no need to look for any signs which makes it easier. I have done the I-78-I-81 portion numerous times heading to Bristol TN for the NASCAR race and and even I-77 as far as Charlotte and it's a good route.

My FIL did the drive (I-78-I-81 etc) to Disney from just north of Boston last August (alone) and he stopped just north of Charlotte for the night in either Mooresville or Huntersville, NC. According to Google Maps that would take you about 10.5 hours, That then puts you around 8 hours to Orlando the next day. On the way back he stopped for the night around Blacksburg/Christiansburg, VA which was about 10 hours and then under 9 to get home.

Lots of places to stop for gas/food/and places to stay along the inland route. Most exits have something and if one exit doesn't the next three or four usually do.

We have left Trumbull on a weekday by 6 via the merrit and were passing the Vince Lombardi rest stop by 7.

We drove once and took the auto train once and both times we left by 6 or no later then 6:10 from Trumbull (I grew up there so I stayed at my childhood house)-I live in CT but an hour from there near the ct River now.

I prefer the GW, it’s just easier and quicker for us...well me!

We took 95 down. The time we went on the auto train we were able to drive straight thru DC with out taking the eastern loop.

The only traffic we hit was around Richmond because there was road construction. My goal was the Georgia or FL line but we only made it to Santee, SC because of that traffic.

We drive with the waze app but I kept the google traffic app opened (it gives waze the info) and because I was the co pilot I was able to tell my DH to go they dc.

I also had an I95 app (it was free) and it told what gas, food, hotels were off each exit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter