Cultural Depictions in Three Caballeros?

pooh-san

Earning My Ears
I just fired up the Three Caballeros on Disney+ and it gave me a warning, something about cultural depictions that "were wrong then and wrong now." I'm kind of wondering ... what depictions are they referring to? To be fair I haven't seen the movie in a while, but I can't for the life of me think of anything that was wrong then and wrong now with the movie.

I just fired up the Three Caballeros on Disney+ and it gave me a warning, something about cultural depictions that "were wrong then and wrong now." I'm kind of wondering ... what depictions are they referring to? To be fair I haven't seen the movie in a while, but I can't for the life of me think of anything that was wrong then and wrong now with the movie.

You know how sensitive people can be these days. I think it's going to come down to when they are chasing the young ladies on the beach, though I can't remember if that is in Caballeros or Saludos Amigos. It's not really "cultural" so much as it is, well, not very feminist. Those movies were both made to showcase the cultures and as far as I know were intended to be respectful. I think they just have to cover their bases these days. I mean, The Aristocats also carries that warning because of the one Chinese cat, but he and the rest of Scat Cat's crew are all purp[osefully multi-cultural (each cat is a breed that is common to their nationality/voive/music style) ant they are all awesome! They're the cool kids for sure. I mean, I understand that it's stereotypical, but it wasn't intended to be denigrating at the time.

The Aristocats also carries that warning because of the one Chinese cat
I don't get offended easily, but that cat has always bugged me. Paul Winchell doing a "Chinese" voice does not sit well.

I don't get offended easily, but that cat has always bugged me. Paul Winchell doing a "Chinese" voice does not sit well.

I get that, and by today's standards of course it's quite a charicature (all of the cats in the gang were), but it wasn't intended to be offensive. As a kid I loved all of Scat Cat's gang! It's similar to the Apu situation with The Simpsons - some take issue that a white actor plays him, others that he fits a lot of stereotypes - but so many episodes are very positive toward Apu, so there certainly wasn't any intent to offend.

I heard something somewhere about it having to do with Panchito's character. I heard that they plan to remove him from the Mexico Pavilion ride at Epcot. I don't know if any of that is true but if it is, it's going too far and is simply on the point of being asinine. He's a fun, cool character. People are oversensitive to the point of absurdity these days.

I heard something somewhere about it having to do with Panchito's character. I heard that they plan to remove him from the Mexico Pavilion ride at Epcot. I don't know if any of that is true but if it is, it's going too far and is simply on the point of being asinine. He's a fun, cool character. People are oversensitive to the point of absurdity these days.

So, what exactly is wrong with Panchito? Those characters were intended to add diversity, just as they so often do today. He doesn't even really play into negative stereotypes. The only thing I can think is maybe the guns? They just made a whole series witht eh Three Caballeros - it's on Disney+. I just don't know what the deal is.

So, what exactly is wrong with Panchito? Those characters were intended to add diversity, just as they so often do today. He doesn't even really play into negative stereotypes. The only thing I can think is maybe the guns?
I suspect it’d mostly the constant firing guns into the air.

Beyond that, while its approach to multiculturalism is perhaps outdated, I can’t recall anything on the level of a Song of the South or Dumbo.

But I’m not Latino, so I could be totally missing something!

I suspect it’d mostly the constant firing guns into the air.

Beyond that, while its approach to multiculturalism is perhaps outdated, I can’t recall anything on the level of a Song of the South or Dumbo.

But I’m not Latino, so I could be totally missing something!

Maybe. In Legend of the Three Caballeros he did not have guns - sort of weird since his last name is Pistoles. That was a good show - I wish they had done another season of it. It apparently was made a few years ago and only shown overseas. It's on D+ but there was no hooplah about it.

I don't think that's true. They would need to do a lot of work at CSR, too, if they were planning to get rid of Panchito. Instead they used Three Caballeros theming in the recent room refurbs and kept the gift shop name.

I don't think that's true. They would need to do a lot of work at CSR, too, if they were planning to get rid of Panchito. Instead they used Three Caballeros theming in the recent room refurbs and kept the gift shop name.
Well that's good to hear. Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter