Customer service craziness

2Y1nuQ0P9ADVJx9-yFPCk5to4HUfMyTB8-o1GrdgxVI.jpg

https://redd.it/7vgrbf

I honestly thought I'd grow up to be a librarian, but ended up in healthcare. People amaze me on a daily basis with their demands and expectations.

My first job (many moons ago) was working in the intimate apparel section of a department store. Nearly every time I helped a husband/boyfriend pick out a gift they would look at my chest and tell me their partner was "just about your size". It was so common I had trouble keeping a straight face whenever it would happen.

Another story that sticks out in my memory is the weeks long problem at my husband's high school. I was charged with supporting attendance secretaries in producing and printing several daily reports needed for submitting to the state. This secretary would call day after day complaining that her reports never printed. I finally decided to appear at her school just about the time of day when these reports should be printed. She was flipping the computer and printer off since she was about to leave for the day never realizing that the reports would not magically print on their own.

Maybe I was just being judgmental, I guess he had his priorities, but there really was nothing I could do to help. .

Angry customer: "Why was my debit card declined at the auto parts store"??? I NEED this $97 part for my truck!!!

Me: "You have like $3 in your account".

***me looking into his account***

I noticed that earlier that same day he had spent well over $100 at an "adult" store.

I did not call him out on his purchase history... I just told him without sufficient funds in his account, his debit card would not allow a purchase. Of course he was not a happy camper.

My first job (many moons ago) was working in the intimate apparel section of a department store. Nearly every time I helped a husband/boyfriend pick out a gift they would look at my chest and tell me their partner was "just about your size". It was so common I had trouble keeping a straight face whenever it would happen.

That has happened to me many times! Along those same lines "My grandchild is 7. What size clothes does she wear?" I would tell them that, of course, it depends. And offer up that at one time my nieces, who are 5 years apart in age, were the same size. One was tiny for her age and one was not.

Maybe I was just being judgmental, I guess he had his priorities, but there really was nothing I could do to help. .

Angry customer: "Why was my debit card declined at the auto parts store"??? I NEED this $97 part for my truck!!!

Me: "You have like $3 in your account".

***me looking into his account***

I noticed that earlier that same day he had spent well over $100 at an "adult" store.

I did not call him out on his purchase history... I just told him without sufficient funds in his account, his debit card would not allow a purchase. Of course he was not a happy camper.
To be fair he may have not thought about how purchases would hit his account. Depending on when this incident occurred that is. Nowadays most purchases go automatically on your account as part of your "Available Balance" of course this depends on the bank and type of account one might have. Used to be you could have several days before something would hit your account in terms of what was "Available" to use.

I know it was a common enough complaint years ago on how banks or businesses would run a purchase especially with insufficient funds and what charge would cause it. But I do know there are accounts out there (like mine) where you can opt to have either the purchase be completely denied or you can choose the purchase to go through and be considered for the fee for going over or you can choose to have the funds pulled from another account like your credit card to cover the purchase.

That would be awkward for sure. I suppose on the flipside it's like women who go into stores and the attendant is sizing you up in order to give you assistance. Either way it can be awkward to have someone staring at your chest sizing you up.

One of my jobs in high school was working a jewelry counter at a retail store. The girl who had been running the counter was leaving for grad school and she gave me some good advice: cleavage=sales. She was right, you would not believe the number of men who wanted to see different necklaces on me, probably so they could spend extra time staring down my shirt. I guess it worked though!

DH manages a grocery store. Last week he saw a man go to the cigarette butt container in front of the store, pull the rubber lining out and dump all the butts on the ground, then proceed to pick through them to find some that weren't completely smoked. He found the butts he wanted then walked away just leaving his mess behind. Unfortunately for him DH saw the whole thing and the guy waited in his truck for whatever reason so DH grabbed a broom and dust pan, went to the truck, and handed them to the guy saying "It seems that you left a mess behind."

Over the years I have had some interesting jobs before I settled on teaching/ speech therapy. I find that dealing with the public/ business to consumer can be downright comical. Here are a few stories. Please share yours.

Me: How can I help you today?
Customer: I bought a car from your dealership. When I bought it the sales person told me 15,000 dollars included everything.
Me: Yes mam, that is correct.
Customer: Well I got a bill from the state saying I owe 293.00 to them.
Me: Yes mam, that is your personal property tax .The State charges that to maintain highways, etc...
Customer: Well I’m not paying it; your dealership is!! I paid everything I owe and I’m not paying another dime! If you don’t pay I am returning the car or suing you! I will be there tomorrow with my lawyer!
( This is the shortened version. This went on for 15 minutes. They did not show up btw. )

Next story
Me: Hi, how can I help you?
Customer: Yes, I bought a preowned vehicle from you about four and a half years ago. I bought a 5 year warranty from you and want to cancel it and get my 1200.00 back.
Me:Well sir you bought it at 1200 and you filed claims against it. 5600.00 dollars worth of repairs were made to your vehicle over the past four and a half years. There is no money left to return.
Customer: I better get my 1200 back or I will sue!!!!

Some days I didn’t have energy to even go in.

My daughter works in the same industry, best one she has of many - one day a customer, who had recently brought a new Mazda CX3 through them, came in asking for her to do a warranty claim. Apparently when they were driving home the day before they hit a kangaroo and did some damage to the side panels, demanded it be fixed under warranty.

Daughter had to explain that that is not a warranty issue and they had to contact their insurance company. Took well over an hour of going back and forth with them and her manager before they finally left, with the good old “I am never coming back here”, they were in the following month for their first service. She gets those ones a few times a month.

My daughter works in the same industry, best one she has of many - one day a customer, who had recently brought a new Mazda CX3 through them, came in asking for her to do a warranty claim. Apparently when they were driving home the day before they hit a kangaroo and did some damage to the side panels, demanded it be fixed under warranty.

Daughter had to explain that that is not a warranty issue and they had to contact their insurance company. Took well over an hour of going back and forth with them and her manager before they finally left, with the good old “I am never coming back here”, they were in the following month for their first service. She gets those ones a few times a month.

Are they in Australia?? That is so funny!

To be fair he may have not thought about how purchases would hit his account. Depending on when this incident occurred that is. Nowadays most purchases go automatically on your account as part of your "Available Balance" of course this depends on the bank and type of account one might have. Used to be you could have several days before something would hit your account in terms of what was "Available" to use.

I know it was a common enough complaint years ago on how banks or businesses would run a purchase especially with insufficient funds and what charge would cause it. But I do know there are accounts out there (like mine) where you can opt to have either the purchase be completely denied or you can choose the purchase to go through and be considered for the fee for going over or you can choose to have the funds pulled from another account like your credit card to cover the purchase.

Yes, he had opted to have purchases denied as opposed to a sweep account or credit that would incur fees. I suppose it IS possible that "adult" purchases were made earlier and it just happened to show up the same day. He is kind of a creeper anyway, always hitting on us.

NOT ME, but a co-worker (I heard about this one in the break room):

Customer Service Representative: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Older Guy (very wealthy) customer: Yes, can I touch your feet?

She refuses to work with him now :sad2:

DH manages a grocery store. Last week he saw a man go to the cigarette butt container in front of the store, pull the rubber lining out and dump all the butts on the ground, then proceed to pick through them to find some that weren't completely smoked. He found the butts he wanted then walked away just leaving his mess behind. Unfortunately for him DH saw the whole thing and the guy waited in his truck for whatever reason so DH grabbed a broom and dust pan, went to the truck, and handed them to the guy saying "It seems that you left a mess behind."

I wish there was a "LOVE" button for this. People seem to think cigarette butts are not trash. Well, yeah they are!

Boston. We have a ridiculous kangaroo problem here lately. :smooth:
:rotfl:

NOT ME, but a co-worker (I heard about this one in the break room):

Customer Service Representative: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Older Guy (very wealthy) customer: Yes, can I touch your feet?

She refuses to work with him now :sad2:

Ewwww! I don't blame her! :eek:

Some of these are funny to me (people just being ridiculous or trying to see what they might get away with), but many seem to be the result of someone clearly suffering from a mental health issue. Certainly a challenge for many customer service positions, but not really funny to me.

I remember one day, (when I was working in a library) a guest walks up to me while I was sorting books. She was holding a cookbook in front of me. She then asked me if I could tell her how many recipes were in the cookbook she was looking to borrow.
I look for the table of contents and then the cover for an answer and then after looking I point out that it's listed in the table of contents.
She leaves me and then later on, I find her counting out the recipes in the cookbook. Apparently, she didn't believe me. :) :confused3:rotfl:

Not exactly customer service, but I do deal with Sales Reps that act like we are their admins, when in reality we are employed to research and solve supply chain problems (problems mostly made by sales reps who can't seem to follow rules and processes), so we often need their assistance when deep-diving into an issue. I have this one rep that I have yet to find a way to explain things to her so she understands. Our last email conversation:

Me: "Hi K, In order to resolve this, you must do A, B, and C. I have attached the directions and highlighted everything that pertains to what you need to do. Please review and advise as soon as possible so we can get this taken care of. Let me know if you have any questions.

Her: (crickets)

Me: Hi K, just following up on my below email - Mr. VP of Operations is waiting for an answer on this. Let me know if you need anything further from me to get this corrected. Thanks

Her: (crickets for 4 more days...)

Me: Hi K, please see the email from Mr. VP of Operations asking for this resolution again. I need your answer by EOB or we will lose $300K in invoiced sales.

Her: I know you sent me an email about this a while ago, but I need you to please outline *exactly* what I need to do.

Me: :sad2: K, use the search feature in your Outlook and search by my name. You will find everything you need to do outlined for you. I expect to hear from you by EOB. Thank you

Every. Single. Time. With. This. Woman.

EVERY. Time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter