D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
As an ally, thanks for pointing this out. I've seen reviews written on this from years ago and I bet many of those people would be empathetic to changing those as we all reflect, educate and try to do better together. Personally, I won't take my children until it is at least restructured or updated now.

I'm so glad literally every single post on this thread since you wrote this has done a great job of recognizing the importance of listening, growth and change :-)
I agree! It's one of those things that even if you don't know for sure, gives the feeling of being offensive. I hope it changes.

We are truly shaming ourselves following the Euros. How can a game of football create such hatred and latent racism? So very sad.

I've only skimmed this forum but I'm so glad that it exists. I'm curious: how conflicted do people here feel about their relationship to and support of Disney (in terms of positive words, money, time spent at parks, etc.)? I grew up loving Disney entertainment and WDW. While that love became more nuanced in high school, and then there were about ten years during which I never visited a park (for reasons unrelated to the ethics of the company), I do experience quite a bit of conflict now.

I've only skimmed this forum but I'm so glad that it exists. I'm curious: how conflicted do people here feel about their relationship to and support of Disney (in terms of positive words, money, time spent at parks, etc.)? I grew up loving Disney entertainment and WDW. While that love became more nuanced in high school, and then there were about ten years during which I never visited a park (for reasons unrelated to the ethics of the company), I do experience quite a bit of conflict now.
Constantly!

Just curious, what changed? Also, what ethics are you referring to?

I haven't had a chance to check in here in a bit so I wanted to say hi to all and wish everyone a PEACEFUL holiday season and/or next few months. I've been going through my Disney trip withdrawal/depression since we returned in July (literally the week the Delta Variant hit like gangbusters!). I'm still going between wanting to hear all about the new developments and holiday parties and tearing up because it's. just. tew. much. to bear. cause I can't be there right now :P Seriously hope everyone is doing well!

Last edited:

Have any of you visited or stayed at the Polynesian Resort? I am curious about people's thoughts and feelings about its cultural appropriation. (And yes, I'm aware that there is a great deal of cultural appropriation in much of WDW. It's something I struggle with.)

Have any of you visited or stayed at the Polynesian Resort? I am curious about people's thoughts and feelings about its cultural appropriation. (And yes, I'm aware that there is a great deal of cultural appropriation in much of WDW. It's something I struggle with.)
We own at Riviera but my daughter begged us to stay at Poly this past December so we booked a few days there as part of a larger vacation and it was awesome! I love how spread out the resort is and the theming is great. We especially love the entrance with the waterfall and all the landscaping. The shops are okay, the food is above average for WDW and the room we stayed in, a studio, had two bathroom areas to get ready which really helped with just me and 3 girls. I would stay again without question. Oh, and they have Dole Whips!

I am so glad to see this thread because I have been wondering what happened to it.
Within my own family we have many generations now of black & white & brown & rainbow colors of love.
I find it hard to believe that anybody does not have the same family .

In regards to Disney , I think we are being introduced to all of these concepts within the Arts . Is it easier to criticize instead of listening to understand ?
When I first watched Harmonius at Epcot, it was So different, I immediately rejected it! And next trip, I realized all the different cultures were represented in the music and artwork .
But more important, the “different mix of cultures and all the families in the crowds were really enjoying it ! And I learned to love it and realized I was guilty of wanting to stay in the Past.
Well thankfully the Past is gone and hopefully we will create a future together . With the help of Disney for starters.
It is my first step but Now I want to go to the Polynesian and the Animal Kingdom Lodge and actually pay attention to the art and music represented.
This holiday season, Epcot Holiday Storytellers try to present a brief introduction to the differences in the way the holidays are celebrated around the World. I will try to make the effort to listen to everyone this year. And the holiday tree decorations also have many cultural designs mixed with the traditional.
I guess I need to open my eyes and listen better .
Hopefully we can share in this thread to keep it more active.

I am so glad to see this thread because I have been wondering what happened to it.
Within my own family we have many generations now of black & white & brown & rainbow colors of love.
I find it hard to believe that anybody does not have the same family .

In regards to Disney , I think we are being introduced to all of these concepts within the Arts . Is it easier to criticize instead of listening to understand ?
When I first watched Harmonius at Epcot, it was So different, I immediately rejected it! And next trip, I realized all the different cultures were represented in the music and artwork .
But more important, the “different mix of cultures and all the families in the crowds were really enjoying it ! And I learned to love it and realized I was guilty of wanting to stay in the Past.
Well thankfully the Past is gone and hopefully we will create a future together . With the help of Disney for starters.
It is my first step but Now I want to go to the Polynesian and the Animal Kingdom Lodge and actually pay attention to the art and music represented.
This holiday season, Epcot Holiday Storytellers try to present a brief introduction to the differences in the way the holidays are celebrated around the World. I will try to make the effort to listen to everyone this year. And the holiday tree decorations also have many cultural designs mixed with the traditional.
I guess I need to open my eyes and listen better .
Hopefully we can share in this thread to keep it more active.
Thank you for sharing your perspective. Disney is so well positioned to make a powerful impact in helping create a culture of inclusion.

For a while, I've reflecting on my fairly nuanced feelings toward WDW but now that my family is planning a potential trip, I wonder why I am particularly critical towards it compared to other sources of art and culture. Is it because it costs so much money, because we are choosing to spend our vacation time in WDW, because I now have young children who are impressionable, because of recent controversies, etc.?

I’m not from the South Pacific but I don’t feel there’s anything that is exploitative, if that’s what you mean. It can be a relaxing setting …enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter