D23 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

goingtoexpo!!

Mouseketeer
I know there is no way of knowing what will happen but it's been on my mind. Do you think D23 Expo will happen in 2021?

I agree that D23 is why they didn't move Celebration to 2021 (it was even in the press release) -- and I'm seeing rumors we could see a lot more Star Wars announcements at D23 because of the delay!

In non-pandemic years, we would expect an Expo date announcement any day now with tickets on sale shortly thereafter (early bird has usually been July to Dec 31). I think we might see a date later this summer, but I feel confident that we'll see the on-sale date for tickets pushed to the end of 2020/early 2021 to avoid having to refund everyone's tickets.

I think Disney is probably waiting to see how the domestic parks re-opening play out before announcing D23 dates.

San Diego Comic-Con announced it will return July 22-25, 2021, so that weekend's out. We can probably get a better idea of when the proposed dates are with some sleuthing into availability for Hilton Anaheim and Anaheim Marriott starting this July/August. Disney will still need to book a large block of rooms at these hotels in particular for the Expo -- usually filling up both hotels for attendees to book through D23.

I agree that D23 is why they didn't move Celebration to 2021 (it was even in the press release) -- and I'm seeing rumors we could see a lot more Star Wars announcements at D23 because of the delay!

In non-pandemic years, we would expect an Expo date announcement any day now with tickets on sale shortly thereafter (early bird has usually been July to Dec 31). I think we might see a date later this summer, but I feel confident that we'll see the on-sale date for tickets pushed to the end of 2020/early 2021 to avoid having to refund everyone's tickets.

I think Disney is probably waiting to see how the domestic parks re-opening play out before announcing D23 dates.

San Diego Comic-Con announced it will return July 22-25, 2021, so that weekend's out. We can probably get a better idea of when the proposed dates are with some sleuthing into availability for Hilton Anaheim and Anaheim Marriott starting this July/August. Disney will still need to book a large block of rooms at these hotels in particular for the Expo -- usually filling up both hotels for attendees to book through D23.
My guess is it will be sometime in August.

D23 just announced Destination D is postponed until in 2021. Do you think D23 Expo will still happen in 2021 or moved to 2022?

I just checked the calendar of events for the Anahem Convention Center for the summer of 2021 and there is a noticeable week gap in July, suggesting that D23 Expo could be July 16-18, 2021. This would be one week before San Diego Comic-Con.

Nothing has been added to their schedule for August 2021.

http://www.anaheim.net/calendar.aspx?CID=26,#previousToCurrentMonth
I personally don't think it will be that weekend solely because of a split in where executives would need to be on July 17. I think it's going to be the same weekend in August it was last year because of the Star Wars convention moving two years and not one year ahead.

IIRC, D23 2017 was back-to-back to Comic-Con and worked quite well. It was exhausting, but so much fun. It did bring a lot more people to D23 compared to 2019 IMHO.

IIRC, D23 2017 was back-to-back to Comic-Con and worked quite well. It was exhausting, but so much fun. It did bring a lot more people to D23 compared to 2019 IMHO.
It actually didn't work out quite that well from the D23 and staffing end point of view. I know people who worked for D23 planning and running that Expo and who have since quit/transferred because of how that event was run. I also spoke with someone in Hospitality who said that they were in charge of a group who worked the show floor of that Expo -- told the people in charge that they refused to work the next event if it would be run the same way because it was putting CMs in physical danger from the crowds and little or no protection was provided. The 2019 Expo was much more enjoyable and a lot of that was the result of changes made after the problems from 2017.

From the attendee perspective, I agree 2019 was much better than 2017. Line control for the most part was poorly managed in 2017 in all places -- opening morning chaos in front to overnight experiences.

2019 lines on the floor were much more like Comic-con on queue control, line caps, and line minders. Those were completely missing in 2017.

2019 though had its fair share of line control issues too. Those on the floor day one for to witness the running of the bulls can attest to that.

The overall attendance appeared to be lower for 2019 across each day too which can contribute to better control. By Sunday it was pretty cleared out. A lot less crossover from SDCC crowd and more solid Disney representation. Marvel booth still was packed despite the larger footprint given, but not like 2017 overflow.

Last edited:
Do you have an official source or link for this?

Of course there's not an official source. You would have heard about it. And saying "there's no way it's happening" is not "Disney has officially canceled it." I happen to agree with GeneralTso. I don't see any way they're going to be able to have a convention like that in a year. Even though I'll be devastated.

San Diego ComicCon is schedule just after D23 and it's not canceled 120k+ people. makes D23 look like child's play in crowds and congestion.

Several others ahead on the calendar - CES, SXSW, Coachella. Wondercon would be one to watch out of Anaheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter