D23 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
San Diego ComicCon is schedule just after D23 and it's not canceled 120k+ people. makes D23 look like child's play in crowds and congestion.

Several others ahead on the calendar - CES, SXSW, Coachella. Wondercon would be one to watch out of Anaheim.

Just because something is currently schedule does not mean it will actually happen. Many events were postponed from spring to the fall only to be cancelled. I agree with the posters saying it won't happen.

San Diego ComicCon is schedule just after D23 and it's not canceled 120k+ people. makes D23 look like child's play in crowds and congestion.

Several others ahead on the calendar - CES, SXSW, Coachella. Wondercon would be one to watch out of Anaheim.
CES already canceled for January and is going full virtual. And D23 is likely to be in August if it happens.

IF the vaccine works AND starts ramp up in Jan. Life can be very different by the spring when such decisions will need to be made for the summer. I will remain hopeful for D23 2021.

Then again, we still have reservations for DLR for 9/1 and practice ROTR just for fun on the WDW app :)

Of course there's not an official source. You would have heard about it. And saying "there's no way it's happening" is not "Disney has officially canceled it." I happen to agree with GeneralTso. I don't see any way they're going to be able to have a convention like that in a year. Even though I'll be devastated.
I agree that the probability of Expo happening the way it has in the past is very, very low right now. But drive by opinions without any support -- and without even any intro statement like "Well, it's my opinion that..." -- can lead to arguments or trolling. It can be helpful and more conducive to productive discussion to post non-dead end comments that can encourage and invite others actually to discuss. I didn't say I disagreed with that poster. But I also don't want to see this thread turn into a trash heap of unhelpful comments. People can go to FB for that.
To the DISers who have picked up the ball to get it back in play, thank you!

It looks like the schedule for the Anaheim Convention Center has been updated for August 2021 - there is a full weekend in July (7/16-18) and a full weekend in August (8/13-15) that are clear, so those are possible dates for the D23 Expo.

Past history gives a whole year for tickets to go on-sale, but the pandemic might change that plan.

It looks like the schedule for the Anaheim Convention Center has been updated for August 2021 - there is a full weekend in July (7/16-18) and a full weekend in August (8/13-15) that are clear, so those are possible dates for the D23 Expo.

Past history gives a whole year for tickets to go on-sale, but the pandemic might change that plan.
The pandemic has changed so many plans! But those dates do at least give us something to look at. I'm going to hope for August.

My guess is it’s more likely to be the August weekend.

The August dates look to have more time before and after that would allow enough time for set-up and breakdown (the July date would only allow 1 day of breakdown). So I think it will likely be August.

I think the Expo will be pushed to fall 2021. I think Disney will dramatically limit capacity, and one way to do that will be to have the Expo in the fall when parents are usually back at work and kids are back at school.

I also think Disney will want to use Destination D, a smaller event, as a test run to see what works and what doesn't work. With WDW's 50th next year, I think Disney will want Destination D to take place before the 50th kicks off. Why occupy hotel rooms for Destination D when you already have the 50th to fill them up? So, I think Destination D will take place late summer with D23 Expo in the fall.

I think D23 won't happen next year, unless it's virtual. They could have possibly done it this year virtual. As for D23 Expo, I really don't know; no one does. However, my gut says no, unless it's drastically changed. I could see them doing some parts virtual, for a smaller price, and then having very limited in-person access with charges around the Sorcerer's level. I am not sure if things will be good enough by then to cram people together for hours like they do. I hope I am proven wrong though.

Since official new dates have been announced and there is now a superthread for Expo 2022, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!